News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The multiple consecutive concentric universe theory...

Started by karadan, June 25, 2008, 12:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

I support the multiple consecutive concentric universe theory...

In nine dimensions our universe can be seen as a circle traveling the surface of a torus (hyper-doughnut) from the centre, traveling upwards and outwards til it reaches the outermost edge - or largest circumference possible - before contracting back towards the centre on the underside of the hyper-doughnut to the cosmic fireball at the centre.
Each Torus may have smaller tori nested within it and other, larger ones which it is set within. The fireball at the centre could be seen as an everlasting big bang constantly churning out new universes. At least the motion our universe takes up the inward slope of the taurus would explain the expansion of our own universe and could also conceivably explain its eventual contraction into the big crunch.

Anyway. That is a theory i am quite partial to. Certainly not mine. It was thought up by Iain M Banks (my favourite author) which he was vastly more eloquent than i in trying to explain such a bizarre concept. It was also longer than one paragraph :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

LARA

Interesting.  I'll have to read about this one more.  But shouldn't it be 'torus'?
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

karadan

Quote from: "LARA"Interesting.  I'll have to read about this one more.  But shouldn't it be 'torus'?

Indeed it should. Thanks for that. *amended*
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

pjkeeley

- Dude, what if, like, there's this giant cosmic fireball right, and the whole universe is like moving around it, inside, like, a giant donut?
- Whoah. Whoah. Dude. Giant donut...? Oh man I've got the munchies...

:P

crocofish

Mmmmm, cosmic doughnuts.

Haven't read the details of the torus theory, but is there a way to test that the assumptions of the theory might be true, or is it based on faith?  It sounds similar to string theory, lots of theorizing but no known way to prove it right or wrong.

The WIlkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) took some measurements that support the "flat universe" theory.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Asmodean

I kind of like the one about big bang - expansion - contraction -implosion - big bang

Still, that MCCU theory is worth researching.  :)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

crocofish

Quote from: "Asmodean"I kind of like the one about big bang - expansion - contraction -implosion - big bang
I liked that one too, but the question is, "How can entropy be reversed?"  Will the implosion reverse entropy?

Isaac Asimov tackled that question in his 1956 short story called The Last Question.  It's a good story if you have the time to read through it.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Asmodean

Quote from: "crocofish"
Quote from: "Asmodean"I kind of like the one about big bang - expansion - contraction -implosion - big bang
I liked that one too, but the question is, "How can entropy be reversed?"  Will the implosion reverse entropy?

Isaac Asimov tackled that question in his 1956 short story called The Last Question.  It's a good story if you have the time to read through it.
I do will read it. Thank you  :hail:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Loffler

Quote from: "karadan"I support the multiple consecutive concentric universe theory...

In nine dimensions our universe can be seen as a circle traveling the surface of a torus (hyper-doughnut) from the centre, traveling upwards and outwards til it reaches the outermost edge - or largest circumference possible - before contracting back towards the centre on the underside of the hyper-doughnut to the cosmic fireball at the centre.
Each Torus may have smaller tori nested within it and other, larger ones which it is set within. The fireball at the centre could be seen as an everlasting big bang constantly churning out new universes. At least the motion our universe takes up the inward slope of the taurus would explain the expansion of our own universe and could also conceivably explain its eventual contraction into the big crunch.

Anyway. That is a theory i am quite partial to.

Why?

karadan

Quote from: "Loffler"
Quote from: "karadan"I support the multiple consecutive concentric universe theory...

Why?

Why what? Why am i partial to that theory? Because it is a brilliant piece of inventive thinking. That's why.

Loffler

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "Loffler"

Why?

Why what? Why am i partial to that theory? Because it is a brilliant piece of inventive thinking. That's why.

Ok, so you don't actually believe it, you just think it's fun.

karadan

I don't think belief has anything to do with it really. It was a concept dreamed up by Iain M Banks in order to explain certain theories within his hardcore sci-fi stories. It is something he and his friends have brainstormed over and they have admittedly used real physics in order to come up with such ideas. It doesn't mean that they do not treat any of it with an enormous tongue-in-cheek, though.

It is a wildly presumptuous theory that i think if anyone were to take with absolute seriousness should be considered slightly delusional.. Mainly for the purposes that the human brain cannot fully comprehend the 'ninth dimension'. Therefore, it is just a complicated stab in the dark.