News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Heinz Ad Pulled After Gay Snog Furore

Started by weedoch, June 24, 2008, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedoch

In the news today was a report about a Heinz Mayo ad being pulled following 200 complaints about a gay kiss. The ad has the premise that the Mayo makes your sandwiches taste like a New York Deli guy has made them. It shows a family getting ready in the morning and dressed as the mother is a New York guy. The kids are calling him mum as he prepares their lunches and as the dad leaves he gives the male "mum" a kiss goodbye. Apparently this post-watershed ad was a little too racy and a bunch of twats got their knickers in a twist over the "confusing" and "repulsive" image. Is it just me or is this about the stupidest thing to get worked up about? One woman (from a 'fight for the family' group) even said she was pleased that commercial companies have to bow to pressure as the BBC etc can thrust whatever they want on us with impunity! Seems tolerance remains a work in progress for some of the religious right! Grr  :rant:
Rant over.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "weedoch"In the news today was a report about a Heinz Mayo ad being pulled following 200 complaints about a gay kiss. The ad has the premise that the Mayo makes your sandwiches taste like a New York Deli guy has made them. It shows a family getting ready in the morning and dressed as the mother is a New York guy. The kids are calling him mum as he prepares their lunches and as the dad leaves he gives the male "mum" a kiss goodbye. Apparently this post-watershed ad was a little too racy and a bunch of twats got their knickers in a twist over the "confusing" and "repulsive" image. Is it just me or is this about the stupidest thing to get worked up about? One woman (from a 'fight for the family' group) even said she was pleased that commercial companies have to bow to pressure as the BBC etc can thrust whatever they want on us with impunity! Seems tolerance remains a work in progress for some of the religious right! Grr  :hail:

susangail

You've got to be kidding me! That's ridiculous! It was a kiss, it's not like they stripped down and had sex or something. That ad sounds funny too. We're not that creative here in the States...
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

afreethinker30

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"[youtube:1ih1oqoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKYpUo18wU[/youtube:1ih1oqoc]
Jeez, that was harmless!
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Evolved

That ad is pretty cute.  Those 'fight for the family' groups are just a bunch of retards (I know that's not a very sophisticated response, but sometimes a spade is a spade).
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Evolved"That ad is pretty cute.  Those 'fight for the family' groups are just a bunch of retards (I know that's not a very sophisticated response, but sometimes a spade is a spade).

Do you ever wonder if the reason they get so upset over homosexuals is because they aren't sure of their own sexuality?So they think if they don't put down others that people won't wonder about them....Hmmm  :raised:

weedoch

Freethinker you rock! :hail:    I hadn't seen the full ad before and now I'm even more exasperated!

MommaSquid

When I watched the ad, I though the point they were making was that the average housewife could be turned into a New York deli clerk.   I didn't see the kiss as two gay men kissing.

jcm

Quote from: "weedoch"Freethinker you rock! :hail:    I hadn't seen the full ad before and now I'm even more exasperated!

you do know that everytime two men kiss, god kills a kitten. i'm glad they pulled it! poor fluffy.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Steve Reason

I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Will

I can't wait to see their faces when that French's Mustard add with anal penetration comes out.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "afreethinker30"Do you ever wonder if the reason they get so upset over homosexuals is because they aren't sure of their own sexuality?So they think if they don't put down others that people won't wonder about them....Hmmm  :raised:

-Curio

MariaEvri

I don;t see anything wrong with the ad. I find it kinda "cute". I don't see why some people are so easily offended and angry
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "susangail"
Quote from: "afreethinker30"[youtube:1whw71s3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKYpUo18wU[/youtube:1whw71s3]
Jeez, that was harmless!

yeah....It's pretty funny (the commercial AND the controversy). I'm sure Fred Phelps (and the entire Westboro Baptist Cult err.............Church.) This reminds me of that Superbowl Snickers commercial with a strangely homophobic aftertaste. Two men (Mechanics?) are eating two ends of a Snickers bar and end up kissing accidentally (a la Lady and the Tramp). Then, they turn away, embarrassed and one says "Quick, do something manly!" and they proceed in ripping out their chest hair. Not too offensive, but the implication is there and undeniable that homosexuality isn't "manly". Ahhh, gender roles. Society erred significantly in making these. Anybody agree?
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.