News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Group meditation

Started by weedoch, June 22, 2008, 07:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedoch

I was chatting with a churchgoing friend the other day when she said that even if she stopped believing in her religion, she would continue going to church for the group meditation and thanksgiving side of things. I was interested in this as I don't have it in my life at all, and would probably enjoy it. I know there's yoga and stuff out there, but they tend to focus on the self, not the wider community and don't have an outlet for giving thanks and appreciating the world. I'd be interested to see if any of you have ideas about this, how can people not affiliated to a specific religion get the good parts of them?

OldGit

Sorry, Weedoch, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  In my case I'd be faking all kinds of stuff I didn't believe in - and, indeed, actively opposed.
Now if they had free beer I could at least be tempted. :beer:

joeactor

Good topic...

Human interaction and companionship is important to all of us, religious or not.  Even this forum serves as a gathering place of sorts.

In the past, I've attended Unitarian services at several different facilities.  Although I haven't found the one for me, it may prove to be a good option at some point.  There are songs, sermons, group activities, etc.  None are particularly religious, but I would say there is a general "theist" quality to the ones I've attended.

I would think any type of social gathering could fill the bill here...

Or, maybe I missed the point - just some ideas for you,
JoeActor

susangail

I've heard of the Unitarian "churches" as joeactor said. I've heard them described as "churched humanists".

I would think some sort of public group would be cool. I remember a topic on this forum a while back about a sort of "church" for atheists. The thread described it as like a meeting in a coffee shop (or whatever) to discuss whatever you want to. My old church had Impact groups which are often held at someone's house. Maybe you could do something like that (w/o the religion part) with some friends?
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

crocofish

Here in the Dallas area there is the North Texas Church of Freethought.  They describe themselves as the "Church for the Unchurched".  I believe that since they classify themselves as a church, they can have the same tax breaks as Christian churches (although there has been some controversy since they don't believe in a "higher power").

I have been to a couple Unitarian churches.  They are a pluralistic church, presenting all kinds of beliefs and allowing their members to decide for themselves what they believe.  The foundation of their rituals still seem to be derived mostly from Christian rituals.  Their hymnal has many traditional Christian hymns with the words changed.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

afreethinker30

Quote from: "weedoch"I was chatting with a churchgoing friend the other day when she said that even if she stopped believing in her religion, she would continue going to church for the group meditation and thanksgiving side of things. I was interested in this as I don't have it in my life at all, and would probably enjoy it. I know there's yoga and stuff out there, but they tend to focus on the self, not the wider community and don't have an outlet for giving thanks and appreciating the world. I'd be interested to see if any of you have ideas about this, how can people not affiliated to a specific religion get the good parts of them?

I just feel uncomfortable being in a Church at all.I have been twice in 18 years.And that was for family reasons (weddings).I could see going to a group meeting for free thinking persons.And I would be open to even going to a church with religion as long as it's not a social scene for those people looking to rid the world of us "perverts".

Will

Great... only it's not meditation if you're bored and pissed. If she stopped believing in her religion, she's not get anything from hollow ritual.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Willravel"Great... only it's not meditation if you're bored and pissed. If she stopped believing in her religion, she's not get anything from hollow ritual.

Yup. What he said.

Meditation is to be done alone in a dark room lit by a few candles. Very relaxing if done properly  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

weedoch

I could be due to my non-religious childhood or possibly relentless pollyanna-ism, but I can see the positive side of religion. I haven't lost a faith, I never had one to begin with and so can't help but critically analyse the content of all of them. All of them have their very obvious downsides, but at their best they can provide a sense of community and support that you lose out on if you don't have some kind of group. Maybe what it really provides is a space to go where everyone agrees with you and doesn't challenge you. Just occassionaly that might be nice! Free thinkers, liberals and atheists are sometimes all about the challenging discussions!

McQ

In the past, I dismissed Unitarian churches out of hand, making the mistake of judging all of them by the one I visited. I have since found that they are very different from one another and very open, even to agnostics and atheists. Weird, but cool.

I can't dismiss them any more as a possibility, for reasons Joe mentioned. I do like the social interaction and need it.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Evolved

Ohhhhmmmm...shhhhh!  I'm meditating!

So this Buddhist walks up to a hot dog vendor and says "make me one with everything"...
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

McQ

Quote from: "Evolved"Ohhhhmmmm...shhhhh!  I'm meditating!

So this Buddhist walks up to a hot dog vendor and says "make me one with everything"...

:beer:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

joeactor

... Then the Buddhist asks for change, and the vendor replies "Change must come from within..."

Evolved

Quote from: "joeactor"

... Then the Buddhist asks for change, and the vendor replies "Change must come from within..."

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

Loffler

There are tons of people who keep going to church after losing their faith.