Started by Dave, September 06, 2017, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

From FB:

I always did find cheese fascinating. :popcorn:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Would you brie mine?

You feta believe I'd be so gouda to you.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on March 02, 2021, 03:24:35 PM
Would you brie mine?

You feta believe I'd be so gouda to you.

Such cheesy puns. Feed me more.  ;D

No one

I camembert to lose you. Please don't leave me provolone.

hermes2015

You are out on a Limburger there.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 02, 2021, 02:09:23 PM
I always did find cheese fascinating. :popcorn:

ah

i have just the thing to expresss my inner self

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NojNXsESNAM

voila, la casu mazu

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

^^ An enticing bowl of sick dog souffle?

billy rubin

i don't know who ever thought that making cheese with fly maggots in it was an attractive idea, but there's a whole folk industry for it.

Casu martzu is created by leaving whole pecorino cheeses outside with part of the rind removed to allow the eggs of the cheese fly Piophila casei to be laid in the cheese. A female P. casei can lay more than 500 eggs at one time.[4][5] The eggs hatch and the larvae begin to eat through the cheese.[6] The acid from the maggots' digestive system breaks down the cheese's fats,[6] making the texture of the cheese very soft; by the time it is ready for consumption, a typical Casu Martzu will contain thousands of these maggots.[7]

sort of like eating caviar, you know, except moving.

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on March 03, 2021, 12:15:30 AM
i don't know who ever thought that making cheese with fly maggots in it was an attractive idea, but there's a whole folk industry for it.

Casu martzu is created by leaving whole pecorino cheeses outside with part of the rind removed to allow the eggs of the cheese fly Piophila casei to be laid in the cheese. A female P. casei can lay more than 500 eggs at one time.[4][5] The eggs hatch and the larvae begin to eat through the cheese.[6] The acid from the maggots' digestive system breaks down the cheese's fats,[6] making the texture of the cheese very soft; by the time it is ready for consumption, a typical Casu Martzu will contain thousands of these maggots.[7]

sort of like eating caviar, you know, except moving.
I saw a show many years ago about this very thing. The whole town would eat the stuff. I thought it was gross.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Until I saw the discussion of what is in it, the music alone was enough to keep me off it. Flies are a useful and necessary part of our environment. I draw the line about consuming them, except in the case of potential starvation.

billy rubin

it doesn't look good to me, but then neither does sushi. the vivisection kind.

it's interesting. people eat all kinds of bugs-- shrimp, grassho5ppers, beetles, grubs, and so on.

but nobody seems to eat flies or fly larvae. i wonder why. maybe an association with decomposition.

hermes2015

It's very cruel to eat the poor little maggots.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on March 03, 2021, 03:05:58 AM
it doesn't look good to me, but then neither does sushi. the vivisection kind.

it's interesting. people eat all kinds of bugs-- shrimp, grassho5ppers, beetles, grubs, and so on.

but nobody seems to eat flies or fly larvae. i wonder why. maybe an association with decomposition.

I ate a piece of raw salmon once, offered to me by one of my co-workers at lunch one day. I was not impressed, but that's just a conditioning thing from my youth, I expect. I ate enough seriously burnt hamburger (and other meat) as a kid that I'm surprised that I don't have colon cancer. My mom was so afraid of trichinosis that she cooked the living shit out of meat, even if it wasn't pork.

As for flies, they usually start out on feces or rotting flesh, which has a serious bacterial load, and I can understand the reticence. Cleaned shrimp, and crickets, properly treated, don't present an ick factor for me.

billy rubin

that's got to be it with the flies.

the rest of the invertebrates are equally unpicky with their habits, but flies are more obvious.