News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinion

Started by Pasta Chick, December 21, 2016, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 27, 2017, 09:26:10 PM
Cricket, what's that? Is that when a bunch of people rub their legs together in order to produce a sound to banish all silence? And the award goes to who can produce the loudest?
That would actually be more interesting, Silver!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

You have a button down sense of humor Silver. I love it.

I am a real confused old fool. I devote some passion....alright a lot of passion, to collegiate football (the American brutal game not "soccer")  But then I am a loud protester about the game being outrageously brutal and so likely to cause serious injury to the participants.

International Football (soccer, to we Yanks) is a more civilized game that allows men or women of ordinary stature to play competitively. In American football the premium is for giant humans (or inhumans) who are six feet seven inches tall and weigh more than 300 pounds.

American football has vigorous fans who dress funny and make lots of noise. International football has hooligan fans who are perfectly alright to start riots or stampedes.

Maybe we'd all ought to take up bridge or chess as a national sport instead.

My pet peeve is that American football coaches are by far the highest paid state employees in every state in the union.  That a college football coach can make  6, 8 ,10 million per year while the president of the university is  paid about $600,000 is a year....is a damnable travesty. We do have our priorities screwed up.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on November 28, 2017, 03:17:01 AM

:unsure: Thanks, I guess I'll take that as a compliment, then.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

The Royal Engagement...really?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 28, 2017, 04:11:42 PM

I think they are trying to breed some brains back into the family gene pool.

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2017, 11:06:14 AM

Bob Newhart's first comedy album was called "The Button-Down Mind Of Bob Newhart." Yes, it's a compliment.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on November 28, 2017, 04:56:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2017, 11:06:14 AM

Bob Newhart's first comedy album was called "The Button-Down Mind Of Bob Newhart." Yes, it's a compliment.

Ok :grin:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on November 28, 2017, 04:29:06 PM

I mean this news is every-fucking-where...I don't care what News link you go, to it's the center story. It's also all over my news and Twitter feeds...on the radio, the TV.

Ugh,...I can't stand it.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 28, 2017, 07:20:45 PM
Quote from: Dave on November 28, 2017, 04:29:06 PM

I mean this news is every-fucking-where...I don't care what News link you go, to it's the center story. It's also all over my news and Twitter feeds...on the radio, the TV.

Ugh,...I can't stand it.

You and I are amongst the "Don't-give-a-fuck" contingent, Bruno, but the media think we are in the minority and the money is on those who go gaga. It's money thst drives democracy, not reality.

Yeah, BBC will do their usual thing and find at least 20 different approaches to the event and share them out to all the "magazine" and news programmes. Then repeat all that at least three times. BBC World Service is the major offender here, some of their stuff is repeated two or three times in 24 hours and then quoted in three other programmes.

Icarus

Prince Harry and Ms. Markle are in love......none of we old curmudgeons give a rats ass about that sort of thing.  Apparently half of the rest of the world need to indulge in that blather. 

May they live long and happily. 

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on November 28, 2017, 11:34:33 PM
Prince Harry and Ms. Markle are in love......none of we old curmudgeons give a rats ass about that sort of thing.  Apparently half of the rest of the world need to indulge in that blather. 

May they live long and happily.

Agree with that, Icarus, just wish the media/public would let them do it in private. I have no desire to hear about it on every news broadcast.

Bluenose

Cricket, what's that? Is that when a bunch of people rub their legs together in order to produce a sound to banish all silence? And the award goes to who can produce the loudest?

Cricket Explained to a Foreigner

*    You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
*    Each man that's in the side that's in the field goes out and when he's out comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
*    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
*    When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
*    Sometimes there are men still in and not out.
*    There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
*    Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they're in or out.
*    When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

– Attributed (tenuously) to the Marylebone Cricket Club. See Amputee Cricket.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on November 29, 2017, 12:33:50 PM

*    Each man that's in the side that's in the field goes out and when he's out comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

One sides out in the field and ones in-bat
"Each man that's in the side that's in the field goes out"
To field, to stand around attentively and catch if a catch comes, bowl if they're a special one.  The side in the field don't get out, they're not in, how can they get out? it's an existential impossibility.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

*    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
*    When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
*    Sometimes there are men still in and not out.
*    There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
*    Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they're in or out.
*    When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

– Attributed (tenuously) to the Marylebone Cricket Club. See Amputee Cricket.

So, basically men go in and out of the field, except for the umpire who decides who does.

Thank you, I feel like an expert on the obscure sport of cricket. :P

Bluenose

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 29, 2017, 01:00:30 PM

One sides out in the field and ones in-bat
"Each man that's in the side that's in the field goes out"
To field, to stand around attentively and catch if a catch comes, bowl if they're a special one.  The side in the field don't get out, they're not in, how can they get out? it's an existential impossibility.

I knew there'd be someone who'd understand, it's really quite simple, really...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett