News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

In God We Trust

Started by jamesatracy, June 16, 2008, 10:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesatracy

We all recognize that phrase as our national motto. But do you know anyone who goes by it?

QuotePious Illinois Man Wants To Legally Change Name To Motto On U.S. Currency (Chicago Sun-Times; May 4)

ZION, Illinois: Steve Kreuscher wants a judge to allow him to legally change his name. He wants to be known as “In God We Trust.”

Kreuscher says the new name would symbolize the help God gave him through tough times.

The 57-year-old man also told the (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald he’s worried that atheists may succeed in removing the phrase “In God We Trust” from U.S. currency.

He recalls that the phrase “God Reigns” was removed from the Zion city seal in 1992 after courts deemed it unconstitutional. Zion was founded as a theocracy â€" by a sect that believed the Earth was flat.

The school bus driver and amateur artist in the northern Chicago suburb says he has filed a petition to change his name in Lake County Circuit Court.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/blogentries/index.html?bbPostId=B9PvEHllabFxCz8gQ7hEXH6B5CzAw8eYpW8MY8B372BQf4eWMB&bbParentWidgetId=B8XscaNGcc9qz4i1oSqmw36f

Now, surely something as ridiculous as this would never get passed a judge...

QuoteZion Man Now Officially Named In God We Trust (Chicago Sun-Times; June 14)

Steve Kreuscher is no more.

A Lake County judge granted permission to the Zion man Friday to officially change his name to "In God We Trust." That's "In God" as a first name and "We Trust" as a last name.

The 57-year-old artist and bus driver was ecstatic about the name change as he exited court Friday.

"I feel great. It's just like, yes!" We Trust said.

The entire process before Judge David Hall took less than two minutes, but We Trust said he was quite nervous.

"I have been praying for this. I didn't want anything to mess this up," he said.

We Trust said the new name more closely represents his devotion to God than "Steve Kreuscher" did.

The process to change his name took roughly three months. Throughout the course We Trust said he was looking for a sign from God that would let him know it was a good idea. He got it one day while adding up the expenses for the name change, which came out to roughly $600.

"I didn't want to use my own money because things are tight," said the father of four. "Three weeks later, I got my (tax) rebate check for $600."

Changing his name to something so out of the ordinary is bound to get mixed reactions from people, especially because of the religious overtones, he said.

"I'm not out to offend anybody. People can call me something different," We Trust said.

We Trust must now go about changing his name on all legal documents. Early next week, he'll visit the Social Security office in Waukegan and then the Secretary of State's office and his bank.

He's already begun signing his artwork with his new moniker, a move that may add value to his work.

"There are billions of artists out there. If you don't do something to stand out in the crowd the world won't recognize you," We Trust said.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/1006179,ingodwetrust061408.article

Now, before I go, does anybody in the audience have any questions for Mr. We Trust? No? Then let's all give In God a big round of applause for opening the door for theists everywhere to change their names to stupid mottoes. Who will be the first to be called by Ohio's motto, "With God All Things Are Possible?" Or South Dakota, "Under God the people rule?" The mind reels.

Asmodean

Quote from: "PotC: At the World's End"(Jones)The Dutchman sails as its captain commandzZ! (Beckett) And its captain is to sail it as commanded.

Seriously, how are you supposed to "rule" if in turn you are being ruled? Thus what exactly is the meaning of South Dakota's motto?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Smallville

I read the story and wasn't surprised. Does this believer not think this is taking his lord's name in vain? tisk tisk.

I remember the name of a kid I heard about a few years ago. His first name was John-the-Most-Beloved-of-God.

Anyone else ever run across strange religious-inspired monikers?
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

Evolved

How about Ingo D. Wet Rust?  I like that better. :)

He can change his name to Jebus H. Cripes for all I care...it just makes him look like a fool.
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

OldGit

During the English civil war there was a puritan who called himself something like 'He-Shall-Bind-Their-Nobles-With-Chains-And-Smite-Them-With-Rods-Of-Iron Jones'. I've been Googling it, but no luck.  That'll give you the flavour of it, anyway.
I also found one called 'If-Christ-had- not-died-for- thee-thou-hadst- been-damned Barebones'.

karadan

A disgruntled customer of a bank in the UK once changed his name though deed poll to:

'Mr Midland bank PLC Are A Bunch Of Fascist Assholes'

The reason for this was so that every time he wrote out a cheque, the people at the bank would have to process the cheque and be reminded of their own ineptitude.

Silly but funny.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "jamesatracy"We all recognize that phrase as our national motto. But do you know anyone who goes by it?

QuotePious Illinois Man Wants To Legally Change Name To Motto On U.S. Currency (Chicago Sun-Times; May 4)

ZION, Illinois: Steve Kreuscher wants a judge to allow him to legally change his name. He wants to be known as “In God We Trust.”

Kreuscher says the new name would symbolize the help God gave him through tough times.

The 57-year-old man also told the (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald he’s worried that atheists may succeed in removing the phrase “In God We Trust” from U.S. currency.

He recalls that the phrase “God Reigns” was removed from the Zion city seal in 1992 after courts deemed it unconstitutional. Zion was founded as a theocracy â€" by a sect that believed the Earth was flat.

The school bus driver and amateur artist in the northern Chicago suburb says he has filed a petition to change his name in Lake County Circuit Court.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/blogentries/index.html?bbPostId=B9PvEHllabFxCz8gQ7hEXH6B5CzAw8eYpW8MY8B372BQf4eWMB&bbParentWidgetId=B8XscaNGcc9qz4i1oSqmw36f

Now, surely something as ridiculous as this would never get passed a judge...

QuoteZion Man Now Officially Named In God We Trust (Chicago Sun-Times; June 14)

Steve Kreuscher is no more.

A Lake County judge granted permission to the Zion man Friday to officially change his name to "In God We Trust." That's "In God" as a first name and "We Trust" as a last name.

The 57-year-old artist and bus driver was ecstatic about the name change as he exited court Friday.

"I feel great. It's just like, yes!" We Trust said.

The entire process before Judge David Hall took less than two minutes, but We Trust said he was quite nervous.

"I have been praying for this. I didn't want anything to mess this up," he said.

We Trust said the new name more closely represents his devotion to God than "Steve Kreuscher" did.

The process to change his name took roughly three months. Throughout the course We Trust said he was looking for a sign from God that would let him know it was a good idea. He got it one day while adding up the expenses for the name change, which came out to roughly $600.

"I didn't want to use my own money because things are tight," said the father of four. "Three weeks later, I got my (tax) rebate check for $600."

Changing his name to something so out of the ordinary is bound to get mixed reactions from people, especially because of the religious overtones, he said.

"I'm not out to offend anybody. People can call me something different," We Trust said.

We Trust must now go about changing his name on all legal documents. Early next week, he'll visit the Social Security office in Waukegan and then the Secretary of State's office and his bank.

He's already begun signing his artwork with his new moniker, a move that may add value to his work.

"There are billions of artists out there. If you don't do something to stand out in the crowd the world won't recognize you," We Trust said.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/1006179,ingodwetrust061408.article

Now, before I go, does anybody in the audience have any questions for Mr. We Trust? No? Then let's all give In God a big round of applause for opening the door for theists everywhere to change their names to stupid mottoes. Who will be the first to be called by Ohio's motto, "With God All Things Are Possible?" Or South Dakota, "Under God the people rule?" The mind reels.

I'm wondering how long before someone names their kid What Would Jesus Do .

Smallville

"I'm wondering how long before someone names their kid What Would Jesus Do ."

How about What Would Jesus Doo-Doo?

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

MariaEvri

Quote from: "jamesatracy"ZION, Illinois: Steve Kreuscher wants a judge to allow him to legally change his name. He wants to be known as “In God We Trust.”

wtf.. that man is insane!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Smallville""I'm wondering how long before someone names their kid What Would Jesus Do ."

Oh you blasphemer .Hey wait is that a word?  :devil:

OldGit

afreethinker30

Quote from: "OldGit"Mr WWFSMD Smith?  :crazy:

Could you imagine introducing yourself to someone with that name?

Asmodean

I'd rather be called Mr. SUTFYM Said Ioda  :D (Just for the purpose of it being name like, pronounce "Said" as sa-ID)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Asmodean"I'd rather be called Mr. SUTFYM Said Ioda  :nerd:

Smallville

Quote from: "afreethinker30"
Quote from: "Smallville""I'm wondering how long before someone names their kid What Would Jesus Do ."

Oh you blasphemer .Hey wait is that a word?  :devil:

They are all words. But, yes, "that" is a word.