News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Oh, HAF

Started by xSilverPhinx, October 25, 2016, 01:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

The more I feel I really need to come here less, the more I feel like coming here! :sad sigh:

If only I got paid for the amount of time I spend procrastinating my life would be set. :smilenod: This forum, like the rest of the internet, is a lovely distraction when spending loads of time looking things up online is part of your daily routine.  I've considered asking to be temporarily banned so that I could get things done, but while it may look like a simple solution, it doesn't address the core issues. I think I would just spend my time looking at other forums or sites instead.

Anybody else as easily distracted? How do you deal with that particular problem? What tips would you give a person who lacks in the self-discipline department such as myself? :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Hmm, I don't have any great ideas, but will offer a possible route: Use surfing/forums as a reward for yourself. Get through half an hour of solid work and then allow yourself 10 minutes of relaxation. Be strict with the time, though, and get back to work for another solid half hour when your allotted free time has passed. Use an alarm (a kitchen timer, for instance) to enforce this.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on October 25, 2016, 01:47:20 AM
Hmm, I don't have any great ideas, but will offer a possible route: Use surfing/forums as a reward for yourself. Get through half an hour of solid work and then allow yourself 10 minutes of relaxation. Be strict with the time, though, and get back to work for another solid half hour when your allotted free time has passed. Use an alarm (a kitchen timer, for instance) to enforce this.

That could work. :grin: I'll give that a try tomorrow. :smilenod:

Grazie.

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on October 25, 2016, 01:47:20 AM
:notes:
Thank you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

The Asmo, the most deserviest of all Asmos, doeth use The Interwebs as a ways of rewarding Himself for His hard work of spreading Grayness, Grumpiness and Evil deeds on The Interwebs.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

As my teacher used to drill into my head, "it's easier to stay out, then to get out"

This had to do with temptation. Basically, don't put yourself in the situation in the first place to make yourself a victim. And when you want to get out, GET OUT. "Admit it, and quit it."
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

OldGit

I know your problem well, I only wish I could offer an answer. :-\

xSilverPhinx

My plan is to start with Recusant's suggestion of half an hour intervals followed by a ten minute reward session, and hopefully I can train myself to stretch the half hour to one hour, then maybe two hours. Two would be the limit because my concentration just can't last any longer. :P

Dave

Having spent 6 decades + refining my procrastinatory skills forums were a worthy addition to my anti-work arsenal. They have saved me a fortune in un-worn-out vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc.

Oh, I have completed necessary non-internet tasks, like going out to purchase wine, pizzas, Chinese take-aways etc.

Not really, but I refuse, as a retired person, to become overly guilty about the time I spend on-line. I was born without the house-work gene anyway, so long as I get up on my hind legs and do not end up as a 200+ pound couch potato, like a guy I know,  so long as I can keep my slim, well, slimish,  140 pounds...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on October 25, 2016, 07:11:42 PM
Having spent 6 decades + refining my procrastinatory skills forums were a worthy addition to my anti-work arsenal. They have saved me a fortune in un-worn-out vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc.
:lol:
~Good one!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on October 25, 2016, 07:11:42 PM

Oh, I have completed necessary non-internet tasks, like going out to purchase wine, pizzas, Chinese take-aways etc.

Those are all good. :smilenod: My issue is with deadlines, those satanic creations which are meant to take away all traces of whatever peace of mind we might have!

Why do people like deadlines so much for FSM's sake?! :picard facepalm:

QuoteNot really, but I refuse, as a retired person, to become overly guilty about the time I spend on-line. I was born without the house-work gene anyway, so long as I get up on my hind legs and do not end up as a 200+ pound couch potato, like a guy I know,  so long as I can keep my slim, well, slimish,  140 pounds...

:lol: Reminds me of a lovely South Park episode:

xSilverPhinx

I've managed to focus on my work for 15 minutes.  :blush: I'll get to half and hour, eventually. 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 25, 2016, 09:03:52 PM
I've managed to focus on my work for 15 minutes.  :blush: I'll get to half and hour, eventually.

Small steps, dear, small steps. Don't want to risk a fatigue attack , do we?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

...OK, that South Park diarrhea scene is sooooooo wrong!  :lol:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on October 25, 2016, 09:43:01 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 25, 2016, 09:03:52 PM

Small steps, dear, small steps. Don't want to risk a fatigue attack , do we?

:sad sigh: I'm already feeling burnt out (which is probably one reason why I can't concentrate for long these days); it's an ongoing battle.

I've decided that today I'm going to push it to at least 20 minutes. :grin: