News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

politics and religion

Started by imaginaryfriendless, July 27, 2016, 06:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on August 01, 2016, 02:26:00 PM
Quote from: Davin on August 01, 2016, 02:21:33 PM
Quote from: imaginaryfriendless on July 29, 2016, 10:46:54 PM
Does it matter?
It depends on your purpose. It matters to me because I'm trying to have a conversation and mixing up two different conversations ruins both. If it doesn't matter to you, then the conversation doesn't matter to you.

Quote from: imaginaryfriendlessI'm talking to you, although for the life of me I can't figure out why...
Sounds like you have some things to work out.

All I can add is I am glad we do not have the likes of him regularky carrying a gun in the UK. And especially not with the aythority of a police officer.
Maybe they will take care of themselves...
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on August 01, 2016, 02:26:00 PMAll I can add is I am glad we do not have the likes of him regularky carrying a gun in the UK. And especially not with the authority of a police officer.

We got only a small sample of this fellow's thinking, written over the course of two days. If he was in fact recovering from an operation, he might very well have been under the influence of medications, and therefore what he wrote here may not be a completely accurate representation of who he is.

In any event, nothing he wrote was all that alarming, in my opinion. I don't agree with his political thinking, and he seems to have a very high opinion of himself, but none of that would prevent somebody from being a good person and a good police officer. Can you cite particulars in what he wrote that you found troublesome?

I actually would have enjoyed getting a chance to get into the politics in more detail, as well as exploring his unscientific and wrong-headed "experiment," from which he drew a completely unfounded conclusion. Perhaps he realized at some level that what he had done was ridiculous, and decided to cut his losses.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on August 01, 2016, 04:00:39 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 01, 2016, 02:26:00 PMAll I can add is I am glad we do not have the likes of him regularky carrying a gun in the UK. And especially not with the authority of a police officer.

We got only a small sample of this fellow's thinking, written over the course of two days. If he was in fact recovering from an operation, he might very well have been under the influence of medications, and therefore what he wrote here may not be a completely accurate representation of who he is.

In any event, nothing he wrote was especially alarming, in my opinion. I don't agree with his political thinking, and he seems to have a very high opinion of himself, but none of that would prevent somebody from being a good person and a good police officer.

Perhaps you are right but I feel that it was a deeper thing than just temporary problems from medication. Brain tumours can seriously affect personality, hopefully that us not the case.

No, I think there was enough "personal history" there to indicate these were inherrent attitudes. Though we don't know when his "previous" in terms of falling foul of forums occurred. IMO he was bring deliberately provocative and seeking weak points, then acting superior when he found them. Yet he had the ultimate weak point and deliberately invoked attacks on it.

Maybe all the things he said but maybe he also had a "victim complex", wanted people to oppose him, put him down so he could feel justified in storming off. That would, sort of, gell with "feeling comfirtable" facing an evidently aggressive person, gave him the right to display aggression in return.

But then, America, and other countrues where guns and violence are not uncommon, might breed very different personalities, in both tbe criminal classes and the authorities,  than sleepy old England, so what do I know?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

The last two posts were done in a gentlemanly fashion.  I am pleased that we have the collective ability to remain civilized.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gloucester on August 01, 2016, 04:23:15 PM
But then, America, and other countrues where guns and violence are not uncommon, might breed very different personalities, in both tbe criminal classes and the authorities,  than sleepy old England, so what do I know?

America is probably a lot more like the world both in history and scope as far as violence is concerned than England.  Most of human history has been violent.  Our history with England and our history with the "wild west" frontier made us more sympathetic to weaponry than the UK.  We got an imbedded 2nd Amendment that is part of our DNA, and we've been involved in bloody events throughout our history.  There's generally more of a "fuck you" attitude over here than in Northern Europe and even Canada.  It gets aggravated in the south because of the heat.  West Texas doesn't have humidity, but it has all the heat you can handle in the summer.  Rough place.  Desert with little population.  People coming out of there have guns baked into their brains.  So I didn't find anything about Jamie that was all that unusual.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 01, 2016, 10:35:33 PM
...There's generally more of a "fuck you" attitude over here than in Northern Europe and even Canada.  It gets aggravated in the south because of the heat...

I always had the impression that those who like guns are fearful people, or they're on some weird power trip.  :thoughtful: 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 01, 2016, 11:22:19 PM
...There's generally more of a "fuck you" attitude over here than in Northern Europe and even Canada.  It gets aggravated in the south because of the heat...

I always had the impression that those who like guns are fearful people, or they're on some weird power trip.  :thoughtful:

Maybe some, but most who like guns just like guns - hunting, target shooting, etc.  They can be fun.  One size doesn't fit all.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 02, 2016, 12:07:08 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 01, 2016, 11:22:19 PM

Maybe some, but most who like guns just like guns - hunting, target shooting, etc.  They can be fun.  One size doesn't fit all.

Yeah, if they're anything like a family member of mine, hunting and maybe even target shooting would be categorised under "weird power trip".

Mr. B

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 01, 2016, 10:35:33 PMIt gets aggravated in the south because of the heat.

I was born and raised in the south eastern portion of the United States of America. I have never gone hunting but I do like shooting guns for target practice. I don't "feel" like I'm on a power trip whenever I go shooting. It's just fun. Like roller coasters, some people like the thrill...some people don't. I love fireworks, my dog whimpers and hides every fourth of July. I have a niece who is terrified of sparklers.

For me, shooting at a target and seeing if I can hit it is just plain fun. Some life forms just don't like the boom.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Steeler

So is he gone for good? Hope not, I agree with the guy. But I saw this coming from a mile away.

Nevermind. I did a little backreading. Damn, step away from this place for 2 seconds and it finally gets interesting. Well for a couple days anyway.

The shit some of you post though. Good grief.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Mr. B on August 02, 2016, 02:11:04 AM
I have never gone hunting but I do like shooting guns for target practice. I don't "feel" like I'm on a power trip whenever I go shooting. It's just fun. Like roller coasters, some people like the thrill...some people don't. I love fireworks, my dog whimpers and hides every fourth of July. I have a niece who is terrified of sparklers.

For me, shooting at a target and seeing if I can hit it is just plain fun. Some life forms just don't like the boom.

Ok, fair enough. I guess some people might see target practice as fun (I don't see anything wrong with that fyi).

I personally don't like hunting or target practice with guns even though my father would take us to do both on occasion as a child. I still get the impression that some people really like handling powerful toys for some weird reason, though. For someone who doesn't need to hunt for sustenance but does, I'd bet the feeling of taking a life is a real thrill. 

Asmodean

Quote from: Steeler on August 02, 2016, 03:35:52 AM
The shit some of you post though. Good grief.
"Like shit off an Asmo." It's an idiom, you know.

I actually found them discussions lively in an interesting sort of way. But then, I'm not easily riled.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

QuoteThe shit some of you post though. Good grief.

That which is shit to one person is fertiliser to another, Steeler.

Add, "In my opinion" to the start of that and it is fsr more accurate.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Well, everything is still there to reply to and discuss, so it doesn't matter if one steps away for two minutes or two years.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Steeler

Quote from: Davin on August 02, 2016, 02:26:27 PM
Well, everything is still there to reply to and discuss, so it doesn't matter if one steps away for two minutes or two years.
Can't reply to him, he's gone. He is who I wished to reply to.