News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

I'm A Little Bored So...

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 06, 2016, 05:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 08, 2016, 03:20:30 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 07, 2016, 12:28:35 PM

Informally 'cretino' is not the same as 'cretin' in English, it's used very often to designate someone who can be bold, sometimes disrespectful and inconvenient. Essentially to most religious people, atheists or anybody who questions religious beliefs are 'cretinos' or 'cretinas'.   

OG is anything but a cretin, that's far from what I wanted to imply. :sadshake:

Oh, the mishaps of language!

Yes, but it's not at all strange I think.

Not that it's a mishap but your name can be ambiguous: 'cat' (gato masc., gata fem.) in Brazil can refer to a hot or beautiful person (I don't think it's the same in Portugal). 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 08, 2016, 04:31:21 AM
Not that it's a mishap but your name can be ambiguous: 'cat' (gato masc., gata fem.) in Brazil can refer to a hot or beautiful person (I don't think it's the same in Portugal).

Now that one makes perfect sense.  I've seen a few ugly cats in my time, and they were still better looking than many humans.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

chimp3

Thank You. I was thinking about becoming an American expat in my old age. Now I am one step closer to Portugal!
I doubt it!

Siz

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 08, 2016, 04:23:48 AM
Quote from: Siz on March 08, 2016, 12:49:21 AM
Vanity compels me to ask for the same attention given to Scissorlegs.

...this'll be good...

Ok, Tez. But first I have to ask why you chose that name because 'scissor legs' in Portuguese (pernas em tesoura/pernas arqueadas) is a medical condition in which legs are bent outwards below the knee.

I'm assuming this is not what you meant... :P

Actually, Pernas Arqueadas has a nice sound!

This reminds me a bit of a Czech family I knew (in Czech) who were looking for a name for their dog. They wanted an English name so looked through an English dictionary. They liked the word 'Brick', so that's what they called the dog. ::)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

Brick? :eyebrow: I would have chosen something like Death Breath as it's a little poetic.   

Siz

...this'll be good...

Ok, Tez...

Tez?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Nam

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 08, 2016, 05:06:15 AM

Now that one makes perfect sense.  I've seen a few ugly cats in my time, and they were still better looking than many humans.

;)

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Siz on March 09, 2016, 03:30:41 PM

...this'll be good...

Ok, Tez...

Tez?

Yes, 'Tez' is what I think of when I see your current username. A shortening of 'tesoura' (scissors) but with a 'z' instead of 's'.

Tez exists as a word (nothing bad, don't worry).  :grin: It means skin, especially the skin on one's face, and also a thin surface that covers something. Not that that has anything to do with it, my mind is weird at times.

Pasta Chick

I had a Rottie, Brick.

Sort of, I mean... I didn't have papers of ownership, but she slept in my bed on my head which is 9/10 of the deal.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Nam on March 09, 2016, 09:23:35 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 08, 2016, 05:06:15 AM

;)

-Nam

Still better looking.
Sandy

Icarus

Cats: Yesterday we lost one of our magnificant Florida cats. A Florida Black Panther was killed by a collision with a motorist on one of our parkways. He was a beautiful animal, all 120 pounds of him. His kind is vanishing here. There used to be several thousands of them roaming the state but our incredible population growth has crowded out their natural habitat and now there are only a few hundred left.  Sad!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on March 12, 2016, 02:57:16 AM
Cats: Yesterday we lost one of our magnificant Florida cats. A Florida Black Panther was killed by a collision with a motorist on one of our parkways. He was a beautiful animal, all 120 pounds of him. His kind is vanishing here. There used to be several thousands of them roaming the state but our incredible population growth has crowded out their natural habitat and now there are only a few hundred left.  Sad!

Cats in the wild are in danger everywhere.  California cougars are on the same thin line and it's going to get worse.  Too many people in both Florida and California encroaching on too many habitats.
Sandy

Bad Penny

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 12, 2016, 06:04:10 AM

Cats in the wild are in danger everywhere.  California cougars are on the same thin line and it's going to get worse.  Too many people in both Florida and California encroaching on too many habitats.

This kind of attitude sickens me.
Too many people isn't possible.
God given human life is blessed.
Millions of new humans arriving.
Glory! Glory! Glory! Glory! Glory!

Nam

I've only seen one panther in my life. I was driving up to Suwannee County (I lived in the Orlando area at the time) to visit my grandparents, driving through the Ocala National Forest Reserve, and saw a panther running across the long stretch field. It was weird seeing a panther there, they're usually in Southern Florida.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny on March 12, 2016, 12:33:11 PM

This kind of attitude sickens me.
Too many people isn't possible.
God given human life is blessed.
Millions of new humans arriving.
Glory! Glory! Glory! Glory! Glory!

If only there were one more verse, we could sing it as a round!
Sandy