News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Update From Dawkins on His Stroke

Started by Recusant, February 14, 2016, 09:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Likely most of the members of this site have heard that Richard Dawkins suffered a stroke earlier this month. He's now recovering, and has posted an audio update on his progress.

"An update on Richard's condition in his own words"
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

I was totally unaware of this. I should worship harder.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

We should send a get well soon card from HaF.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

He mentioned something in the recording about stress over being uninvited to an event of his academic peers. I wonder what that was about.
Either way, I hope he recovers. I'd be up for sending a card.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Siz

Quote from: Firebird on February 15, 2016, 06:48:56 PM
He mentioned something in the recording about stress over being uninvited to an event of his academic peers. I wonder what that was about.
http://reverbpress.com/news/richard-dawkins-necss-invitation-revoked/

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Guardian85

Either way, I hope he recovers. I'd be up for sending a card.

TL;DR version: Academic feminists got their knickers in a twist about a video clip Dawkins retweeted (which I thought was a bit poor taste, but made a thought provoking point about radical feminism).
These people, not being ones to stand up to critisism of their ideology (despite claiming to be skeptics and freethinkers)fell back on a popular SJW tactic called no-platforming.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

On a semi-related matter, I think feminism has become such a loaded term that it's about to lose what little meaning it has left. It's become a thing of broad generalizations and people fighting all the wrong battles in all the wrong ways.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Quote from: Siz on February 15, 2016, 07:07:16 PM
http://reverbpress.com/news/richard-dawkins-necss-invitation-revoked/
After reading the story behind this link, I got the sense some commentators with atheist leanings are getting banned from public forums. Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Bill Maher were mentioned. For Maher it was about his sweeping comments about Islam being like the mafia, and Ayaan about Islam being a cult of death.
I for one have trouble criticizing Ayaan for expressing her views, taken into account her experiences, past (horrible things done to her in childhood) and present (she is still under protection from very real death threats..)
As for Maher, well in my country we have a traditional community of Tatar Muslims, very pious, yet no one would say they are a problem in any way. Quite the contrary, they participate within the community in a meaningful way. They were introduced to the area before it was a country even, and most of them were soldiers, officers in fact. Now they excell in fields ranging from sports to sciences and politics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatars Many Muslims coming later on to the country seem to fit better to Maher's generalizations, though I personally know exceptions as well.
Are there anyone in this forum who thinks these commentators went a bit too far?

Recusant

As far as I'm concerned Islam as an ideology is fair game. Like the other Abrahamic religions, it is vile, violent, repressive, repugnant, and generally reprehensible. Despite what some Muslims may believe, and despite what self-appointed, self-righteous "defenders" of Muslims will say, IslamMuslims. In my opinion, expressions of contumely (deservedly) directed at Islam should be considered within the bounds of reasonable discourse by anybody who isn't a contemptible Islamist fundamentalist.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

I have several of Dawkins books in my library, read the God Delusion twice, and appreciate his fiery stance on atheism, however. I think he is a overlywhite-privileged ass/douchebag when it comes to the topic and discussion of the mistreatment of women.

He seems to think since there are laws protecting women in the (Western) world, feminism isn't needed there. It's only needed in the developing world because that's the only place women are mistreated or not seen as equals, and if you disagree with him you are being a whiny, spoiled little brat.

That said I hope he recovers soon.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."