News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Japan to remove swastikas from maps

Started by Asmodean, January 22, 2016, 12:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Personally, I think the Japanese were there long before the nazis, and they shouldn't feel pressed to change their symbols based on someone else's usage of them.

In any case, I suppose this is a case of some begrieved minority screaming until they get what they want, something that happens far too often in this doomed world of ours, at least too often for MY liking.

QuoteA Japanese proposal to stop using swastikas to identify temples on tourist maps has sparked a backlash.
Japan's official map-making body said foreigners might mistake it for a Nazi symbol, and that temples should be represented by a three-storey pagoda instead.
It is one of six map symbols the Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI) has proposed dropping, as Japan prepares for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

More at BBC News.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Symbol evolution. The swastika is heading for extinction due to natural selection. You can't stop natural selection.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

If it is indeed a case of natural selection, then well and good in my book. If, on the other hand, there are some screaming minorities behind this, then fuck them sideways, is what I say.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on January 22, 2016, 01:26:32 PM
If it is indeed a case of natural selection, then well and good in my book. If, on the other hand, there are some screaming minorities behind this, then fuck them sideways, is what I say.

Sounds more like a Japanese idea than a touchy minority as they regularly change things up. If it was old school Japan they would have made it more complicated just like they did with kanji to make it harder for those with "lesser breeding" to become educated.
Retired member.

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

The Japanese swastika is anticlockwise; the Nazi symbol was always clockwise and almost always rotated 45° from the vertical.

Asmodean

Besides, it's a relatively simple geometric shape. Me, I want to stop people from using scissors, because their phallic nature is offensive. Where do I sign the petition?  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Hey Asmo,  cut it out! That is not an idea I think you should run with.

Asmodean

Why..? Because someone might actually bite and make it a thing?

...Actually, good point. Nevermind.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on January 22, 2016, 02:53:55 PM

Scissors

"cut it out"
"not an idea I think you should run with".

Not see it?
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on January 22, 2016, 01:26:32 PM
The 'screaming minority' are simply a selection pressure.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

The Japanese are hardly the only people outside of Nazi Germany to use the swastika. I started writing a list and realized it was way too long so here's Wikipedia instead. But for example, I saw it all over India because of its use in Hinduism. No way they'll ever take it off all of their ancient buildings, nor should they.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: Crow on January 22, 2016, 03:35:32 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 22, 2016, 02:53:55 PM

Scissors

"cut it out"
"not an idea I think you should run with".

Not see it?
Not at all.

Crow

Quote from: Firebird on January 22, 2016, 08:36:54 PM
The Japanese are hardly the only people outside of Nazi Germany to use the swastika. I started writing a list and realized it was way too long so here's Wikipedia instead. But for example, I saw it all over India because of its use in Hinduism. No way they'll ever take it off all of their ancient buildings, nor should they.

If you are ever in England just look at Victorian architecture the swastika is used all over them.
Retired member.

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean on January 22, 2016, 02:39:41 PM
Besides, it's a relatively simple geometric shape. Me, I want to stop people from using scissors, because their phallic nature is offensive. ...
Not an accusation I've heard often...!

Quote from: No one on January 22, 2016, 02:47:23 PM
Hey Asmo,  cut it out! That is not an idea I think you should run with.
Oh, Bravo, No-one!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!