News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Military

Started by rick, June 05, 2008, 08:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick

Who here has served in the military?

If at all possible, I would that this did not become another Iraq war discussion.

MikeyV

I have and am still serving. 18 years now.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Will

I'd have likely served if it weren't for a severe heart condition. I have three generations of Army behind me.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Neoncamouflage

My dad was in the Army, his dad was in the Air Force and Navy, and his dad was in something. I'll most likely join the Army or Air Force when I can.
Religion is seen as true to the common, foolish to the wise, and useful to the powerful.

Asmodean

If ever, EVER I'll serve in any kind of armed forces, I'll be a merc. No fighting for a flag for me, thank you very much. If I fight, I fight for coin  :cool:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

McQ

I served in the U.S. Army as an Aviation officer. Flew those beautiful old UH-1H (Hueys), AH-1G (Cobras), and OH-58 (Kiowas). 1983-1989. My dad was a WWII U.S. Navy fighter pilot in the Pacific Arena, and then a catapult officer on the U.S.S. Lake Champlain in Korea. Flying was in our family for the past 75 years, as many family members fly or flew professionally or for fun. My brother is a retired U.S. Army Ranger (Infantry officer).
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tom62

I didn't serve in the army. There were too many boys of my age to choose from, so that they decided to skip me.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Mister Joy

I've looked into serving in the RAF. My step-father is a contract stress engineer who has worked for various companies on the design of both military and commercial planes (eg. the Airbus A380) so through that I've developed quite an interest in piloting. Unfortunately, my eye-sight is too poor for the RAF (I'm ridiculously short-sighted) so, when I'm sure that my eyes aren't going to get any worse, I'm getting laser eye surgery and trying again:) I want to have a go on one of these puppies some day:

http://www.eurofighter.com/

That thing is a real monster.

SteveS

I do not, nor have I ever.  I briefly considered entering the Naval Academy out of high school, but I really didn't see myself committing to a military life.  I know a lot of people find the structure of the life to be a desirable thing, but I did not.  Its not that I'm unpatriotic -- I'm just really damned independent.  I think I had enough sense to understand that if I wasn't fully committed to the idea that it would not work out for me.

Anyway, I will always have a measure of respect for the people that serve (and that have served).  I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea.  Plus, my family has no background of military service, which seems to be a strong motivator for those who do choose to enter the military.

Not serving comes with its own emotional baggage --- namely guilt.  Everyone in Iraq is getting shot at while I enjoy all the benefits of being American without assuming much of the risk.  Contemplating this reality doesn't really make me happy.

curiosityandthecat

When I graduated in 2000, I debated going into the armed forces before college. Looking back, I'm rather happy I decided against that. Besides, I tend to have a problem with authority.  :-)
-Curio

MikeyV

Quote from: "SteveS"Not serving comes with its own emotional baggage --- namely guilt.  Everyone in Iraq is getting shot at while I enjoy all the benefits of being American without assuming much of the risk.  Contemplating this reality doesn't really make me happy.

There is absolutely no reason to feel any guilt, SteveS.

It's called a volunteer force for a reason.

We simply chose different career paths.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

McQ

I second Mikey's message to you, Steve. No reason to feel guilty. I understand that people do feel that way, but it is absolutely ok to not have served. Like Mikey said, it's (thankfully for now) an all volunteer service.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

weirdframer

I was in the Air Force from 1970-1973  Viet Nam Vet 2 tours
The trouble with born-again Christians is that they are an even bigger pain the second time around.”

rick

In the interest of fairness...six years active duty Navy, four years Virginia Army National Guard (13F), and seven years naval reserve to include a one year deployment in Baghdad. (Yeah, I'm a little indecisive.)

Lexxvs

Does marriage qualifies as military  service or it’s just considered merely a drill for it?