Normalization of relations between the USA and Cuba

Started by Asmodean, December 17, 2014, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

As the title suggests, the news has mentioned better relations between the two countries.

Apparently, the Republicans seem to be against this. I wonder, does anybody know what their problem is with normal diplomatic relations with a neighboring country? And where do the American HAFers stand on this issue?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

What's their problem with it? Cuba is just about the only country left from the old soviet/chinese sphere that hasn't opened up to business interests from the west. They seem to be okay with repressive regimes, but only so long as those regimes give corporations whatever they want, like China today. That, and Cuban exiles make up a powerful voting block in Florida, which is a key state in presidential elections. Icarus will no doubt be by shortly to describe the US sugar industry's role in all of this.

My thoughts are..... ABOUT DAMN TIME!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Ecurb Noselrub

We have relations with Russia, with China, with Viet Nam.  Why not Cuba?  We'll do more to change their way of life if we interact with them.  We go in with McDonald's, Starbucks and WalMart, and soon they will be under our control. 

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Somebody, somewhere has figured out that if you want to destroy a country nowadays you do it financially not militarily. Once relations are 'normalised' the USA will fuck Cuba just like they did the USSR.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 17, 2014, 10:07:18 PM
We have relations with Russia, with China, with Viet Nam.  Why not Cuba?
Yes, that was exactly my question.

Quote from: jumbojak on December 17, 2014, 10:00:47 PM
What's their problem with it? Cuba is just about the only country left from the old soviet/chinese sphere that hasn't opened up to business interests from the west. They seem to be okay with repressive regimes, but only so long as those regimes give corporations whatever they want, like China today. That, and Cuban exiles make up a powerful voting block in Florida, which is a key state in presidential elections. Icarus will no doubt be by shortly to describe the US sugar industry's role in all of this.
Ah! Double standards and whatnot? Yes, I thought as much...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2014, 12:29:08 AM
Somebody, somewhere has figured out that if you want to destroy a country nowadays you do it financially not militarily. Once relations are 'normalised' the USA will fuck Cuba just like they did the USSR.

The Yanks have known this for ages though. They did it with the UK and Europe towards the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say that the US often has problems with countries that refuses them to do trade in the way they like and things only really change when those countries change their own policy.
Retired member.

Eric V Arachnid

Those Cuban revolutionaries had unacceptable facial hair, it was a threat to right thinking societies everywhere.
Uncouth facial hair has become normalised in many societies, the battle is lost so I don't see the point of continued Cuban isolation.
We should have taken a harder line on those Che Guevara tee shirts but we didn't and now it is too late.
Misanthropic Curmudgeon

Asmodean

Quote from: Eric V Arachnid on December 18, 2014, 10:08:38 AM
We should have taken a harder line on those Che Guevara tee shirts but we didn't and now it is too late.
YES! Hateful things, those...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MikeyV

Not all of the Republicans are against it. My own dimwitted senators, McCain and Flake are for it. We'll see how long Rubio can hold out against the free market types that see a country ripe for the pickin's.

It was pointed out today that Rubio has been railing against Cuba's record on human rights and political dissent, while he recently took an all expense paid junket to China.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Icarus

El Mundo and other Cuban newspapers are controlled by the Communist Party of Cuba. El Mundo and others exclaimed and reiterated: Aha!, the Americans blinked. We have won. The decadent US democracy has proven themselves to be the less worthy political ideologies.

Meanwhile back at the Cuban ranch.... the poor people out in the interior of the country are suffering indignities and hardships that would cause insurrection in most countries. Try this: It is a recent edict that people may not have chicken eggs in abundance beyond the necessary and normal use of a family. Excess egg production will be confiscated by the Cuban government. Another one.....Families may cultivate a garden of vegetables only large enough to sustain themselves. Any additional cultivation will become the property of the government. There are monitors who report violations of these edicts and it is thus impossible for families to cultivate surplus product so that they might profit from its' sale.

Yes, I have it on good authority, from actual Cuban citizens in the country side, that this is true. Seems to me that the fat cats are exploiting the peasants rather strenuously. I am confident that they will, but just when, will the peasants storm the Bastille.

Asmodean

It's more difficult these days, when the Bastille has artillery and machine guns and grenade launchers and all the other explosion-related stuff with which to chase the peasants all the way back to their fields.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

How did the French get in here?  I'm confused.  Where am I?  Who are all these people?