News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Dawkins addresses Thomas Aquinas' Proofs

Started by Will, May 15, 2008, 02:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

St. Thomas Aquinas was an Italian priest and philosopher who lived about 750 years ago. Among his many teachings and philosophies were his "Five Proofs" which were supposed to prove the existence of god. Apparently, there were atheists back then.

Neeways, in chapter three of Richard Dawkins' book, The God Delusion (or The G_d Delusion, Jewish edition), we see Dr. Dawkins specifically address each of the proofs, which are as follows:
FIRST MOVER: Some things are in motion, anything moved is moved by another, and there can't be an infinite series of movers. So there must be a first mover (a mover that isn't itself moved by another). This is God.
FIRST CAUSE: Some things are caused, anything caused is caused by another, and there can't be an infinite series of causes. So there must be a first cause (a cause that isn't itself caused by another). This is God.
NECESSARY BEING: Every contingent being at some time fails to exist. So if everything were contingent, then at some time there would have been nothing -- and so there would be nothing now -- which is clearly false. So not everything is contingent. So there is a necessary being. This is God.
GREATEST BEING: Some things are greater than others. Whatever is great to any degree gets its greatness from that which is the greatest. So there is a greatest being, which is the source of all greatness. This is God.
INTELLIGENT DESIGNER: Many things in the world that lack intelligence act for an end. Whatever acts for an end must be directed by an intelligent being. So the world must have an intelligent designer. This is God.

Frighteningly, these very "proofs" are still used today, despite being so very outdated. Below is a link to Richard Dawkins refuting said proofs:

[youtube:1knqiwwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrtlyZPYmRE[/youtube:1knqiwwg]

Please enjoy~!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Evolved

Thanks, Will.  Very informative and interesting.  It's amazing how they still use these arguments.

I will argue this one point, however:

Quote from: "Willravel"INTELLIGENT DESIGNER: Many things in the world that lack intelligence act for an end. Whatever acts for an end must be directed by an intelligent being. So the world must have an intelligent designer.

There is an intelligent designer.  Armani. :D
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

Martian

Quote from: "Evolved"I will argue this one point, however:

Quote from: "Willravel"INTELLIGENT DESIGNER: Many things in the world that lack intelligence act for an end. Whatever acts for an end must be directed by an intelligent being. So the world must have an intelligent designer.
What makes you say this?
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

Will

Well played, I have to concede that point. Armani makes some good suits (thought I still prefer Hugo Boss).
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jcm

I really like what was said about gold. Gold is not gold all the way down. Nothing is what it is all the way down, not even people. I think religious types see it the other way. If people are people all the way down, then I would agree with the idea of the soul. But a person can be broken into parts, ultimately energy. It is clear that the way the parts are put together is what makes the difference, not the parts themselves.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

SteveS

Great vid, Will.  I read the book, but there's nothing quite like Dawkin's voice and mannerism to drive it home!

myleviathan

"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Evolved

Quote from: "Martian"What makes you say this?

Suits fit like a glove.
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "Martian"
Quote from: "Evolved"I will argue this one point, however:

What makes you say this?

EXACTLY! you are so wrong. That's nothing to joke about. I believe in the poly-intelligent designer (?) Gucci and Chanel.
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.