News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on April 19, 2018, 05:34:24 AM

What is it with men and "witches." What the hell was the witch hunt era really about?

Sex and money.  Same as usual.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 19, 2018, 05:36:05 AM

What is it with men and "witches." What the hell was the witch hunt era really about?

:oooh-me!:

Can I add, religion?  :cauldron:
:dominidomini:  :devil2:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on April 19, 2018, 06:16:36 AM

Can I add power and authority, fear and myth, hatred and mob psychology?

:grrr: :lynch:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on April 19, 2018, 07:47:51 AM

Can I add fungus?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on April 19, 2018, 07:54:42 AM

Can I add fungus?

Were there problems with ergot in England?

Forget thzt I asked that, if it was in France in the 1500s then it was almost certainly in Britain during the Civil War when people like Matthew Hopkins. were about! But its involvement in the Salem trials seems definite.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Can I add fungus?

I'm not sure about the fungus, but I think all the rest of it boils down to sex and money.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 19, 2018, 10:50:54 AM

Can I add fungus?

I'm not sure about the fungus, but I think all the rest of it boils down to sex and money.
Fungus?  :scratch:
Maybe you know something we don't.

Can I still add, misogyny?  :cauldron:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 19, 2018, 10:50:54 AM

Can I add fungus?

Misogyny is a thing so is sadism.
James VI was keen for it reputedly.
You have to understand though,
there was no mass entertainment
No Game of Thrones on the box.
There was no box, or flat panels.
You had to entertain yourself.
Judgmental moderners sicken me.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on April 19, 2018, 01:40:26 PM

Ye, it grows on wheat I think and sends everybody batshit crazy.
There should be a thread: Why The Misogyny?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

It was about exposing and eliminating witches.  I continue the crusade. 

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 19, 2018, 09:23:36 PM

It was about exposing and eliminating witches.  I continue the crusade.
Yes, and we're still here as well.  :grin:

I mean, they...they are still here as well.  :shifty: That's what I meant to say.

Ecurb Noselrub

This is a serious reply - be forewarned.  This all relates to the unknown, to the subconscious, to mental processes that people did not understand.  Let's discuss incubus and succubus.  Incubus is a male demon who has sex with sleeping women.  It comes from Latin words meaning "to lie on".  Succubus is a female demon who has sex with sleeping men. It means "to lie under".  It seems obvious that people were having vivid sexual dreams and thought they were real, so they attributed it to demons, not having any knowledge of the subconscious or the nature of dreams.

Men don't understand women. It seems like they are "casting a spell" on us to make us think of sex or confuse us, etc.  Not understanding the gender, the knowledge gap is filled with superstition and supposition.  This is where myth comes from - from the unexplained. The more we know, the less we see demons.

Let's take another - pterosaur.  The Texas Pterosaur, whose fossils hang from the ceiling in the Texas Memorial Museum in Austin, had a wing span of 40 feet.   http://www.jsg.utexas.edu/vpl/collections/the-texas-pterosaur/     It was found in Big Bend National Park, where there is lots of old volcanic activity - burned rocks everywhere.  Now, imagine a fossil like this, observed by ancients, in the midst of burned rock. Explanation?  Fire-breathing dragon.  Simple.  Witches, demons and dragons - all attempts by the brain to fill in the knowledge gap, so that the brain, a narrative machine, has an explanation that eases the observer's anxiety.  The story gets retold, becomes part of the communal narrative, and becomes a myth.  Like any good story, it has staying power, and endures long past its original purpose. 

Icarus

The fungus explanation is plausible.  Looking for other motivations for executing women, there are other more sinister possibilities. 

Mags insistence that misogyny may be a motive is also plausible in a twisted sort of way. (see also misology)   It was mentioned that sexual repression could have been part of the deal.  Consider that men are over whelmed by sex drive.  So Mr. X bangs one of the local lovelies without her permission or approval.  He fears that she might rat him out.  We have much current news about dastardly behavior of men who cannot keep their pants zipped.  Mr. X accuses his unwilling victim of witch craft and has her executed. Even if not executed she is a suspect who can not be believed when she swears that she was raped by the sex crazed Mr. X.

There are other possibilities. None of which suggest that women are not capable of chicanery. Suppose young Ms. Z has a crush on one of the eligible males. But a prettier girl has already gained his attention. Ms. Z claims that the pretty girl is a closet witch.  We have that kind of rivalry these days when one girl wants to eliminate a rival girl because she wants to be head cheerleader.

:sherlock2:

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on April 19, 2018, 01:49:56 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on April 19, 2018, 01:40:26 PM

http://www.neatorama.com/2012/10/15/Salem-Witch-Trials-The-Fungus-Theory/

Eliminate witches and there will be no more fungus. Central American witches bring a Mayan Jungle fungus that is particularly dangerous for white Texan males.  I'm calling for a new round of trials. Let the Inquisition begin!!!