News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on June 30, 2017, 11:48:47 PM
^ Not dog parts but our western cowboys do consume a delicacy they call euphemistically call sweetmeats, alternatively mountain oysters. Those parts come from boy cows.

Waste not. want not     :smokincowboy:

When I was in Cyprus I helped rig a local restuarant for AV, including erecting a 60ft mast to get TV from Lebabnon (it was a great place back in 1963) and Nicosia. The owner, Mr Papadopolous, "Pappy",  was one of the island's then few millionaires.

On the final day he came to see the job then treated us to to a meal. What a meal, lasted from 6pm to midnight and involed a bottle if wine for each adult and a bottle of top Cypriot brandy between the four of us. Inevitably it involved meze , a mixture of lots of different cheeses, hams, little fish and other things. The latter included sort of oblong things fried in breadcrumbs.

I asked Pappy what they were. His English was not brilliant and his reply was, "Mmm, 'ow you say in English, er, 'pig's bollocks' "? His wife looked at him, her English was worse but the word was obviously not unfamiliar to her in its more coarse usage.

Chewy and not much taste. The sheep's eyes were salty and I politely refused the little white snails that were still crawling over the bed of lettuce. Luckily I was not offered deep fried migratory songbirds - a local speciality.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 01, 2017, 03:20:39 PM
^ Not dog parts but our western cowboys do consume a delicacy they call euphemistically call sweetmeats, alternatively mountain oysters. Those parts come from boy cows.

When I was in Cyprus I helped rig a local restuarant for AV, including erecting a 60ft mast to get TV from Lebabnon (it was a great place back in 1963) and Nicosia.
Now that is interesting, as I did more or less the opposite. When I lived in Lebanon from 1977 to 1980, I setup a Yagi antenna to receive the FM radio broadcasts of the BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service) from Cyprus. They in turn re-broadcast a lot of BBC news and other shows. I had an apartment on the 3rd floor of a building facing the sea (next door to the American University), so the signal was very good. I used to arrange all my lectures from Tuesday to Thursday, so I had 4-day weekends to paint and read with the BFBS service in the background. Did you ever visit Beirut?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 01, 2017, 04:36:51 PM

When I was in Cyprus I helped rig a local restuarant for AV, including erecting a 60ft mast to get TV from Lebabnon (it was a great place back in 1963) and Nicosia.
Now that is interesting, as I did more or less the opposite. When I lived in Lebanon from 1977 to 1980, I setup a Yagi antenna to receive the FM radio broadcasts of the BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service) from Cyprus. They in turn re-broadcast a lot of BBC news and other shows. I had an apartment on the 3rd floor of a building facing the sea (next door to the American University), so the signal was very good. I used to arrange all my lectures from Tuesday to Thursday, so I had 4-day weekends to paint and read with the BFBS service in the background. Did you ever visit Beirut?
No, never got the chance. Soon after that job the second set of "troubles" started in Cyprus and much of my "spare time" was spent on guard duty and riding shotgun.  BFBS was sound only in those days so we never bothered with TV much. Plenty of drinking though . . . Seems so primitive now!

joeactor

The sheep's eyes were salty and I politely refused the little white snails that were still crawling over the bed of lettuce. Luckily I was not offered deep fried migratory songbirds - a local speciality.

My uncle was a butcher, so we ate all kinds of things. Had sheep eyes before. Gotta have some lemon with 'em. Basically more of a texture thing than taste...

Sandra Craft

Quote from: joeactor on July 03, 2017, 07:01:50 PM
The sheep's eyes were salty and I politely refused the little white snails that were still crawling over the bed of lettuce. Luckily I was not offered deep fried migratory songbirds - a local speciality.

My uncle was a butcher, so we ate all kinds of things. Had sheep eyes before. Gotta have some lemon with 'em. Basically more of a texture thing than taste...

:faints:  And I edge closer and closer to vegan.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Dave

Claireliontamer

Quote from: joeactor on July 03, 2017, 07:01:50 PM

I've dissected sheep eyes in biology class and they're so tough.  I honestly can't imagine them being a nice texture to eat.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

Well Hell that one is floating around the internet and did not cause a problem for me. A distinct possibility is that the fumbling messenger (me) does not know how to post that kind of thing.  Sorry folks, I'll try to better next time.

Dave

Got there in the end! Email came via Gmail and I missed it.

Great pictures, some very poignant. Thanks, Icarus.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey