News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2016, 12:16:25 PMIn summary, the mitochondria were once free living bacteria that got incorporated by other cells very early in our evolution. Mitochondria are the powerhouses of our cells (they produce a lot of spare ATP, an energy molecule) and have their own DNA, which is different from our nuclear DNA.       

Thank you ancient bacteria, without you polluting other cells mulitcellular life might not have been possible! :love:

Chloroplasts (which do the work of photosynthesis in plants) appear to have a similar origin.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

How long before lichens finally get it totally together?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on August 09, 2016, 07:27:41 PM
How long before lichens finally get it totally together?
They were happy. We just didn't know it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Dave

Gloucester (the city, not me) is having a cultural thing, art, music - usual stuff. Another outdoor exhibish in Kings Square of street art, graffitti, whatever.

Here's a couple.

Will do some work on the second, to get rid of the joins, do a good print and frame it. Appeals to an aging sci-fi geek!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on August 09, 2016, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 09, 2016, 12:16:25 PMIn summary, the mitochondria were once free living bacteria that got incorporated by other cells very early in our evolution. Mitochondria are the powerhouses of our cells (they produce a lot of spare ATP, an energy molecule) and have their own DNA, which is different from our nuclear DNA.       

Thank you ancient bacteria, without you polluting other cells mulitcellular life might not have been possible! :love:

Chloroplasts (which do the work of photosynthesis in plants) appear to have a similar origin.

Yes, though chloroplasts are believed to have evolved from bacterial cells closer to cyanobacteria (carbon fixating cells), whereas mitochondria are more closely related to proteobacteria, another phylum altogether. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 09, 2016, 09:15:01 PM
Gloucester (the city, not me) is having a cultural thing, art, music - usual stuff. Another outdoor exhibish in Kings Square of street art, graffitti, whatever.

Here's a couple.

Will do some work on the second, to get rid of the joins, do a good print and frame it. Appeals to an aging sci-fi geek!

Those are really nice! 8)

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 08, 2016, 10:41:09 PM
Quote from: Apathy on August 07, 2016, 06:02:41 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 06, 2016, 11:14:20 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on August 05, 2016, 11:35:06 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 04, 2016, 11:59:28 PM

Dead clever, that. Did you realise that yourself?

Yes, it is  ;D. No, it showed up on my Facebook feed, I would have never thought of it.

I almost said that is wrong, then I realized it uses a format I'm not used to.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Yeah, well that's just plain wrong.

yep yep :)

Davin

It's more of a lazy issue than an order issue for the US. In the UK it looks like 4/8/2016, but you say, "the fourth of August, two-thousand and sixteen." or, "the 4th of August, twenty-sixteen."

In the US you say, "August fourth, twenty-sixteen." So much shorter when speaking. :D :lol:

Personally, I prefer the largest to smallest method like Japan use. But I think this is from an old habit when naming backup files. If I put 20160804, it gets sorted by year, then month, and then day, but if I do the UK or US version, it gets sorted in a way that isn't very useful either by day, month, then year or by month, day, then year. Now we can sort by created or modified date so it doesn't really matter, but I still like it year, month, then day.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

Quote from: Apathy on August 12, 2016, 08:11:25 AM

To post embedded YouTube videos you can click the YouTube button () in the "Post Reply" box. It's on the far left in the second row of buttons. Then paste the URL for the video between the tags that appear.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/1AAVn2T7N30[/youtube]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on August 12, 2016, 04:13:54 PM
Quote from: Apathy on August 12, 2016, 08:11:25 AM

To post embedded YouTube videos you can click the YouTube button () in the "Post Reply" box. It's on the far left in the second row of buttons. Then paste the URL for the video between the tags that appear.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/1AAVn2T7N30[/youtube]
Er, don't you have to highlight the link first?