News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

comparison

Started by tacoma_kyle, April 10, 2008, 06:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma_kyle

Hey I was just pondering random things today.

How about this comparison...

Evolution is to intelligence as intelligence is to AI.

Havent thought about it a whole lot. But I was just thinkin about how we have evolved to the point that we dont really need evolution anymore, as a species. How 'it' trying to prefect itself essentially destroyed our need of it in us.

In a similar way, do you think it could be compared to our intelligence vs artificial intelligence?

Well kinda sorta. I'm pretty much tryin to sound real deep. heh

But I thought it was kind of a interesting idea at the least. Oh whoops. Shoulda put it in philosophy.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Whitney

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Oh whoops. Shoulda put it in philosophy.

fixed :D

MommaSquid

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Hey I was just pondering random things today.

...Havent thought about it a whole lot. But I was just thinkin about how we have evolved to the point that we dont really need evolution anymore, as a species. ...

I disagree.  There are plenty of ways humans could be "better".  

A blogger I like said that maybe autism is a step in the evolutionary process.  It could lead to increased brain function or ESP.  I'm not saying I agree with this, but it is an interesting viewpoint.

There are plenty of things I would change about myself if I could spontaneously evolve...starting with making gray hair and pimples mutually exclusive.    lol

Will

How can you say we don't need evolution when men don't have real multiple orgasms yet?!

But seriously, there's a lot that could be improved. What if humans could live in space? What if we could withstand temperatures ranging from near absolute zero to thousands of degrees. Imagine being able to live underwater. Imagine being able to see the entire EM spectrum. Imagine dying at the ripe age of 12,000 years old. Imagine being born able to speak, read, write, etc. through genetic memory.

There's really no limit to where we could go. That's what science fiction is all about, really: exploring the possibilities of our own untapped destiny.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

joeactor

It's unfortunate, but doubtful that new improvements will happen.

In order for evolution to continue to improve the human race, we'll have to allow the "Selection" part of natural selection to happen again.  As long as we intervene and let medicine alter our survival rate (past breeding age, that is), then we've effectively stopped evolution for ourselves.

That doesn't mean we can't take matters into our own hands.

I for one would love to have a wireless uplink to the net and some extra memory installed.  Maybe even a camera/mic installed in my forehead.

Uberman?
JoeActor

Will

I try to keep evolution going by only dating women who are absolutely brilliant. If I ever meet a woman with gills, I'll try to seduce her too.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

joeactor

Quote from: "Willravel"I try to keep evolution going by only dating women who are absolutely brilliant. If I ever meet a woman with gills, I'll try to seduce her too.
Oh, man!  She sounds hot!  Me likey... well, except the part about drowning the first time I go back to her place...

Tom62

Quote from: "joeactor"I for one would love to have a wireless uplink to the net and some extra memory installed.  Maybe even a camera/mic installed in my forehead.
We are the Borgs, resistance is futile  ;)) .
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Will

It's the responsibility of the intelligent to fight counter-evolution. I wasn't joking when I said that I only date brilliant women. I also only date athletic women. It's nothing personal to women who aren't brilliant and athletic, they're wonderful. I just see that it's important for us as a species.

I myself am pretty well educated (B.A. in psych from Santa Clara and I'll be applying to Boalt Law in about 12 months) and I keep myself in tip top shape. So don't worry I'm not asking for anything I can't deliver myself.

ShimShamSam

Yes, I've pondered this before. Christians often use the argument of why evolution stopped. But evolution moves so slowly and the changes so insignificant from generation to generation, evolution, now appears pointless. I mean, think how far humanity has come in 10,000 years, We've gone from the invention of the garden hoe, to the space shuttle. Technology progresses at an exponential rate, evolution is left int he dust. And speaking of technologies, what great technological advances have come out of Christianity?

joeactor

Quote from: "ShimShamSam"And speaking of technologies, what great technological advances have come out of Christianity?
Are you kidding?  Let's see, there's the rack, thumbscrews, the iron maiden, and let's not forget tithing...

I'm not sure you can point to any religion as inspiring technology.  Believers?  Sure.  But religion... no.

Except maybe Christian Scientists or Scientology (tin cans anyone?)

JoeActor

SteveS

Quote from: "MommaSquid"There are plenty of things I would change about myself if I could spontaneously evolve...starting with making gray hair and pimples mutually exclusive.
Good idea.  I'll opt for a longer liver.....
  ;)

pjkeeley

As I have expressed in other posts, I take a more or less dissenting view to those here on the issue of human evolution, aka. transhumanism (though these concepts are not necessarily the same thing). My skepticism on this issue comes from my deeply held conviction that the only measure of 'human progress' that matters is how much freedom people have (to avoid cultural or political bias this could be weighed against the freedoms people believe they reasonably ought to or ought not to have, or, to put it another way, progress could be objectively measured by how content people are with the status quo at any given point in history). Not the technology they have access to, not the strength of the economy, not the length of the average lifespan, not even the pleasures they might seek, since each individual is entitled to hold their own view as to what constitutes a good life or one worth living. The belief that history is somehow leading the human race on the path to something grander is one of the great myths of modernity. The price we payed for it was 20th Century communism, but who knows what other evils we will suffer for it in the future.

To get back to the topic at hand: the question has been alluded to in this thread as to whether we should let evolution take its course in humans. First, an important point: evolution does not produce 'better' things, it produces changes to things that are required for their continued survival. Human beings tend to value survival, yet beyond this underlying assumption, questions of ethics are vastly more complex than merely identifying that which improves the overall survival of a species. Hence, let me emphatically state, I do not think there is any merit in deriving an ethical position from our observations of natural selection, much less applying one. Above all there are no rights in natural selection, no guarantees and no justice for the weak. I could never endorse Social Darwinism, period.

In evolutionary terms the survival of the human race is not at stake. We might well bring ourselves to the brink of extinction sometime in the forseeable future, but that is an entirely different concern. What about the ability of individual humans to surive? I think we doing quite well in this regard, but I suppose it depends on your point of view. At present a great many people in developed nations are quite capable of surviving to old age, and though there are hurdles to our longevity that we can overcome in the future through advances in medicine, I for one do not want to live forever. Most people if they thought hard about this would agree.

Instead what is usually meant by improving the human race is finding ways to make ourselves more capable of realising our desires. The problem is, the easier it is to realise our desires and the faster and more 'convenient' this process becomes, the less fulfilling life becomes. In life it is certainly true that the process is the point, or the journey is the destination, or however you wish to express it. Much of the enjoyment we take in human activity is derived from the fact that we aren't readily able to get what we want, at least not in any immidiate sense.

It's a case of 'be careful what you wish for, you might just get it'.

I guess also, in general, I don't feel I ought to owe any grand allegiance to my 'species', just as I don't feel I ought to owe any allegiance to a 'race' or a 'nation'. They just happen to be accidents of my birth. I do what I can to treat others morally but I don't feel any moral compulsion to keep human evolution in mind when choosing a mate. Of course, what unconscious drives nature forces upon me remain largely beyond my control, but as I pointed out earlier, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and we should think long and hard before we snatch the reigns from nature's hands, so to speak... we may end up more fulfilled...

Will

PJ, the reigns are already snatched. Just look at Paris Hitlon. She should have been devoured by a predator long ago. She will likely be impregnated by another idiot and create idiot offspring, who are also of low moral fiber and are incapable of contributing to society.

While I don't really have an allegiance with any nation, I do recognize the drive to continue the species is a part of me. That drive includes a sexual and emotional attraction to strong, smart, moral women with whom I will reproduce. The compulsion is innate, not moral, but I do consciously recognize said compulsion. Pretending that it's a happy accident ignores an important part of one's self. The drive to protect the species not only by mating but by mating with a woman that has genes that would benefit the species is part of who I am.

tacoma_kyle

Anyone remember a few years back, over on the east coast there were large quantities of fish that were essentially getting closer to becoming single sexed. WHats it called when you can reproduce individually, like worms? ANyhow some fish were developing both sides of fertilizations process, parts of anyhow. But it wasn't fully functioning. I think it was females that were.

Then the news continued to blame it on water contaminants.

When I saw it I was thinkin evolution maybe. But regardless if it was the by-product of soap or somethin look at the reaction. Somethin changes, don't let it change. Don't let new species develop, don't let old species die. Thats what I got outta. Not sayin I favor extermination of deer, but if they are killed off by a abundance of funky lizards or somethin thats different.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol