News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Random pondering and questions.

Started by Msblue, March 29, 2008, 08:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Msblue

I would love your opinions on dealing with what I'll call a "convenience"  Catholic. My friend ignores what she doesn't like in bible to suit her beliefs e.g. she believes in equal rights for gays and that animals have souls. She hasn't been to church in years. Just donates money to various religious organizations and prays.

Why not take the time to research to find a religion that suits your beliefs, instead of cherry picking? Yes... I've asked her all of these questions, she just "has faith"

I also find it interesting that more men than women identify themselves as atheists. Any thoughts? Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Will

There are two classifications of Christians: either your a radical fundamentalist litteralist who kills people for not observing the sabbath, or you pick and choose what to believe. 99.999% are the latter, but pretend they are the former because they don't want to admit to themselves that none of it is real.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tom62

How true. Most "christians" that I know, belong to the "There must be something there, but I don't know what it is and my priest doesn't seem to bother to tell me" church. They only go to church at eastern and christmas, because that is tradition.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

ShimShamSam

Well, look on the bright side, if they're one of those christians who thinks something's there, but doesn't really follow the bible and doesn't like the bibles portrayal of god, well, at least they don't quote scripture at you. Which is a tep in the right direction. I think they just don't like the idea of there being nothing up there in the clouds, they don't like the idea of the universe being out of control.

It's been my personal experience that this is the type of Christian that really doesn't want to get in a debate, they don't beleive Christianity strongly enough to debate it, and they wont give the idea much thought for fear of learning the obvious truth that there is no conscious being up there. But that's jsut my experience with them.

LSchune

Beliefs are wonderful, until they become invconvenient.

People will forever have their ladders so they can pick and choose what suits them the most.
Steve, I am going to fucking kick your ass when I can find it.

"I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Rebecca West

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Wh

tacoma_kyle

I've noticed that as well, on the female atheists thing.

Probably just a general tendency (as if you didnt know lol), based off the nature of women, society, or I dunno. I have no idea. It's annoying though.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Whitney

Quote from: "Msblue"I would love your opinions on dealing with what I'll call a "convenience"  Catholic. My friend ignores what she doesn't like in bible to suit her beliefs e.g. she believes in equal rights for gays and that animals have souls. She hasn't been to church in years. Just donates money to various religious organizations and prays.

Why not take the time to research to find a religion that suits your beliefs, instead of cherry picking? Yes... I've asked her all of these questions, she just "has faith"

I'm not sure what you can say to get her to explore other views...at least she is cherry picking in a good way.

QuoteI also find it interesting that more men than women identify themselves as atheists. Any thoughts?

Are there really less atheist females or are there just fewer that visit forums?  The meetups I've gone to have a more or less 50/50 mix of men and women.

Msblue

Quote from: "Willravel"There are two classifications of Christians: either your a radical fundamentalist litteralist who kills people for not observing the sabbath, or you pick and choose what to believe. 99.999% are the latter, but pretend they are the former because they don't want to admit to themselves that none of it is real.

That's a excellent summary.

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Are there really less atheist females or are there just fewer that visit forums? The meetups I've gone to have a more or less 50/50 mix of men and women.

It's possible less women post on forums, I couldn't find any info.

This is from a survey posted on this forum, it doesn't have specific statistics on atheists...only "no affiliation"

Men are significantly more likely than women to claim no religious affiliation. Nearly one-in-five men say they have no formal religious affiliation, compared with roughly 13% of women.

nummymuffin

Well-I am a woman (atleast last time I checked)!

Will

Quote from: "Msblue "Men are significantly more likely than women to claim no religious affiliation. Nearly one-in-five men say they have no formal religious affiliation, compared with roughly 13% of women.
The last time I saw it, 39% of men in the US were creationists, and 47% of women were. Just thought I'd weigh in.
Quote from: "nummymuffin"Well-I am a woman (atleast last time I checked)!
Sweet!!!

Look at it this way: you're a member of a group that's mostly male.... not a bad deal.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

nummymuffin

I have since checked and I am a neither! Oh well-life is still good! :borg: