News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

My Brother the ex-atheist (A Rant)

Started by jaymayo, February 18, 2008, 11:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaymayo

In retrospect, I remember my brother being high up with being an atheist when he was all harnessed by the theorems and hypothesis of philosophy and all its sub-categories. Then, he reverted back to being christian again after a car accident and after going to mass when the priest said his sermon that was somehow parallel to his accident.

I remember that day. Suddenly, my big brother started to cry silently. At that time I was at awe at how god was talking to him.

Then, after 8 years. God talked to him again, only this time through a close encounter. My brother visited me and my sister at our apartment. My brother parked his car on the street near a high risk accident zone (I know this since there have been 4 accidents around that area).

We heard a loud noise outside and nobody seemed to care anyways. We thought it happened at the other side of the street. So I got out and had a cigarette. I saw that the accident happened in the same area. Thank the universe that no one got hurt. The nyc cab collided with another car which spun it to hit the light post on the corner of the street. The light post found its way down to an unlucky car where my lucky brother's car was parked right in front of it. No scratch. Upon finding out about this, my brother goes on at me that there is a god and there is no explanation on why there should not be a god...

...of course, god was on your side that day but how about the poor bloke who got his car smashed? Or how about those people in third world countries who pray and pray that help may come and never did? Or how about... there are too many examples but I'll stop.

I guess I'm just ranting on how this "god-exist-because-I-am-so-damn-lucky" card. Coincidences happen and they take it that god exists. Of course, I do it sometimes, but then I thank something else; the universe!!! Well, the universe is comprised of these vessels and these vessels work together and they do generate odds. Since they generate odds, there will be a select vessel that would benefit from these odds. So it's all odds then, not god! It's coincidence and just be thankful that you get to have the benefit of it. How do you thank the universe for such a bequeath? Make use of it and don't take it for granted.
If you see God, tell him he owes me money and an apology.

Mister Joy

hmm, the old God-smiles-on-me-because-I-haven't-yet-been-mauled-to-death-but-I-almost-was routine, eh? They're unlikely to change their tone, even when the luck runs out. That's simply a 'test of faith', to them. They really have every nook and cranny covered, don't they?

Welcome to the forum by the way. :D Aye be pleased to meet ye.

tacoma_kyle

Whats up. My grandparents are really religious and about 4 months back my grandfather finally gave up drinking and how ironic...not to be condescending...my grandfather may have some form of cancer. Has a tumor on his neck. The Dr. had cancer come to mind quite quickly apparently. He is not a by blood relative. But has been in the family for as long as I can remember. Real bummer...

Not to thread hijack or get sympathy...but just to point out.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Smarmy Of One

QuoteWe heard a loud noise outside and nobody seemed to care anyways. We thought it happened at the other side of the street. So I got out and had a cigarette. I saw that the accident happened in the same area. Thank the universe that no one got hurt. The nyc cab collided with another car which spun it to hit the light post on the corner of the street. The light post found its way down to an unlucky car where my lucky brother's car was parked right in front of it. No scratch. Upon finding out about this, my brother goes on at me that there is a god and there is no explanation on why there should not be a god...

I didn't know God worked for Geico.

It makes sense that your brother would fall off the rational thought wagon after a fright since fear is the main reason that people cling to their faith anyway.

The last time I attended mass, I was hit by a car in the church parking lot afterward. I was only 13 years old and the driver didn't even get out of his car. He just rolled down the window and asked if I was alright. Ahh christians.

I was an atheist before this and just attended mass for the sake of my mother. But even at 13, I knew the 2 things were not related and I wasn't being smote for my disbelief. I decided to stop paying lip service because that parking lot just wasn't safe.  :P

MommaSquid

Quote from: "jaymayo"The light post found its way down to an unlucky car where my lucky brother's car was parked right in front of it. No scratch. Upon finding out about this, my brother goes on at me that there is a god and there is no explanation on why there should not be a god...

Dear god, please ignore all of the suffering in the world and save my car.  Amen.