News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Mitt Romney drops out!

Started by Sophie, February 08, 2008, 04:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie

I didn't like Romney, but my husband did on some of the issues...  He kind of creeped me out for some reason.  He seemed less likely to push his faith into government, though.  

I'm an economic Republican, but liberal in most other issues.  So basically, people like me are screwed.  Now, we have McCain and Huckabee.  *runs screaming*  I favored many of Ron Paul's ideas, but he's never going to get elected.  He's done well with the pot smokers and the NRA members, but his military position didn't appeal to most Republicans.

McCain isn't as bad on the faith issue, but he's such a freak!  His whole idea of basically building a wall between Mexico and the USA is nuts.  Sure, take even more of my hard-earned money and use it to put the military all along the border.  Sure!
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.  -- Robert A Heinlein, Job: A Comedy of Justice

MikeyV

Quote from: "Sophie"I'm an economic Republican, but liberal in most other issues.  So basically, people like me are screwed.

We economic conservatives/social liberals have no party. Welcome to the disenfranchised.

I'm sick to death of the Repugs having to pander to the idiocracy of the christian conservatives. The only reason I remain registered is to throw monkey wrenches in their dastardly plans.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Sophie"McCain isn't as bad on the faith issue, but he's such a freak!  His whole idea of basically building a wall between Mexico and the USA is nuts.  Sure, take even more of my hard-earned money and use it to put the military all along the border.  Sure!

[rant]

Try living in Arizona for a while and you will quickly see his reasons for wanting the fence.  People are illegally crossing our border at an alarming rate.  They just waltz right in.

Putting up a fence and patrolling it with border guards will help to keep our nation safe and save us tens of millions of dollars annually.

I don't know what the current situation in GA is with illegals trying to get day jobs, but in AZ it's bad.  They stand on the street corners and in parking lots and wait to get picked up for day jobs.  Imagine having to look at this scene on every other corner in your town:

If they came to this country legally and obeyed our laws, I would have no problem with them being here.  But they don't.  We have the right to protect our borders.

[/rant]

Smarmy Of One

Sorry to derail the thread even further but . . .

Canadians move and work illegally in the US all the time. I'm in the film business and I know a few personally.

Any plans for a fence to prevent people from Canada entering?

Or how about a plan to attack the root cause of illegal immigration?

What about cracking down on the corporations that are hiring illegals because they are cheap labour and are not protected by US law?

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Smarmy Of One"Sorry to derail the thread even further but . . .

Canadians move and work illegally in the US all the time. I'm in the film business and I know a few personally.

Any plans for a fence to prevent people from Canada entering?

Or how about a plan to attack the root cause of illegal immigration?

What about cracking down on the corporations that are hiring illegals because they are cheap labour and are not protected by US law?

Yes, the US border with Canada also needs to be protected.  But let's start with the shorter of the two borders and build from there.  

Companies that hire illegal immigrants are being fined now in AZ.  Multiple offenses should lead to their business licenses being suspended.

I also think people who illegally over stay their welcome after entering the country legally (student visas, etc) should be fined heavily and deported.

Sorry I hijacked your thread, Sophie.

Sophie

No problem, Mommasquid!  :)  That's terrible! - I had no idea how bad illegal immigration was in AZ.  I know in Georgia we have a problem, and in general it's a huge drain on the economy because they're getting gov't assistance...  Those pictures are worth thousands of word.
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.  -- Robert A Heinlein, Job: A Comedy of Justice

Edizzle

Smarmy Of One

Thanks for the link.

My point is that the anger about immigration is always misdirected at the illegal immigrants. It's like if you smoke for 40 years and get cancer and blame the cigarettes. Or eat a box of twinkies everyday and get fat and get angry at the twinkies.

I think that immigration must be controlled for obvious reasons. Instead of putting the tax payers further in hock by building a massive eyesore of a fence that illegals will still find a way around, the law should crack down on those who hire illegals. Force them to pay heavy fines and deport the illegals.

People are entering illegally to get work. If the work is not there, I think this would take care of most of the problem. Attack the root cause.

The real irony is that whatever crony gets the no-bid contract to build this fence will probably use illegals to build it.

Again, sorry for the derailment.

Edizzle

The bottom line is that illegal acts are being committed, and not only does there need to be some sort of punishment handed out, but there needs to be a way to effectively stop the illegal acts.