News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Starbucks of Saudi Arabia

Started by Kona, February 08, 2008, 04:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kona

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329605,00.html

I know that I should not be shocked, but I am.  So as soon as I read the story last night, I fired an email off to Starbucks and got this reply:

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company regarding our stores in Saudi Arabia.

As a global company with stores in 37 countries, Starbucks is sensitive to the religious customs, social norms and laws of each of the communities we serve. That said, while we do not agree with gender discrimination in any form, Starbucks remains committed to respecting the different cultures we serve by not imposing our values and beliefs anywhere we operate.

At Starbucks, we are passionate about providing our customers with a positive Starbucks Experience in each of our more than 10,000 stores, including our Saudi Arabia locations.  In accordance with local customs and traditions, Starbucks stores in Saudi Arabia have individual entrances for men and women, along with a family area, which has become a popular gathering place for local families. All of our Saudi Arabian customers enjoy the same Starbucks Experience-a welcoming environment, a great cup of coffee, and a comfortable place to socialize with friends and family.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us at info@starbucks.com or call (800) 23-LATTE to speak with a customer relations representative.

Best Regards,

Julie S.
Customer Relations Representative
Starbucks Coffee Company

Hmmm, and if you just happen to be a woman sitting with a man who is not your relative, then you will be carted off to jail, strip-searched, and forced to confess your great 'sin'.    Thanks for stopping at Starbucks and come back again soon!  

Just another example of religious repression of women and one more reason to hate Starbucks! :bang:
Fight Global Warming......Save a Pirate!

MikeyV

I agree that this is a fine example of the repression of women in a Wahabiist country.

I fail to see how this is in any way the fault of Starbucks.

Seems to me we should be outraged and protesting the prefered treatment status of our "friends" Saudi Arabia. Since it could have happened at any merchant, the fact that it was a Starbucks is irrelevant.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Whitney

It's not Starbuck's fault that Saudie Arabia has werid religious laws.  This really is no more their fault than it would be their fault if a woman got arrested in an American starbucks for breaking one of our laws which Starbucks has no control over.

I also don't see any issues with their reply...it fits the format of a typical corporate "don't blame us but we are sorry it happened yet can't say we are sorry for legal reasons" letter.

MommaSquid

Starbucks is not to blame for the treatment that poor woman received.  

I don't know why every woman in the Middle East doesn't just up and leave.  Start walking until you find yourself anywhere else!

Mister Joy

Could be because a great number of them actually believe this stuff. :?

And seconding what other people have said, Starbucks isn't in a position to do anything about it, unfortunately. Plus, I have quite enough reasons to hate them already, ta. :lol:

Kona

Technically, you are correct to say that Starbucks is not at fault.  After all, they are not *official* purveyors of western morals and values nor are they accorded the same sovereignty as a foreign embassy. What I would say though, particularly in this instance, is that a company that creates a social environment as part of their product experience should ensure that all of their customers can enjoy their experience in an atmosphere free of repression from other parties.  Also, I do not see this as solely an issue of cultural accommodation inasmuch as I see it as a human rights issue.  Foreign companies who continue to do business in such an oppressive environment perpetuate the oppressive nature of the host culture.  In this instance, you have an American company essentially 'accommodating' repression of women.  To what degree will they extend such accommodations?  What if it was South Africa during apartheid?  Would Starbucks open up a store there with separate areas  or separate stores for blacks and whites in the name of free enterprise?  (Don't worry, I will be putting this question to Starbucks)  Saudi Arabia is exactly that--a segregated society but on the basis of sex.    So why not divest or close down the business on at least a temporary basis as a protest?  Our government has previously taken action against similar governments, such as South Africa, on the basis of human rights even making it illegal to do business with them.   There have also been other occasions for boycotts if not outright sanctions as a way of pressuring repressive governments to recognize internationally accepted standards for the treatment of minorities and women.  Unfortunately, women in Saudi Arabia do not have many options for direct protest movements such as what occurred in the American south during our own civil rights movement and more recently the equal rights movement for homosexuals.   Women in Saudi Arabia are among the most repressed and silenced people in the world as are many in other Islamic states and face corporal punishment or even death for what I would consider petty reasons.   I realize that our government is not about to go to bat for this one instance of repression and human rights abuse, but I doubt they would do anything unless forced to do so by an overwhelming public outcry even if it were 10,000 similar instances (which there probably are).   Saudis have too much of what we need for us to go pissing them off.

Anyway, methinks I have had my last Starbucks cup o' java for quite sometime. :coffee:

rickymooston

Quote from: "Kona"http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329605,00.html

we serve by not imposing our values and beliefs anywhere we operate.
...reason to hate Starbucks! :bang:

I'm not shocked at all!!! What is their stock price?

Let's be honest Starbucks is a business. When in rome, you have to do what the roman's do. In order to sell stuff in Saudi Arabia, they have
to accomodate that country. Starbucks is about selling coffee.

Anyway, Saudi men may be kind of obnoxious. Its probably better for the women to have a separate entrance?

Kona

Quote from: "rickymooston"I'm not shocked at all!!! What is their stock price?

Let's be honest Starbucks is a business. When in rome, you have to do what the roman's do. In order to sell stuff in Saudi Arabia, they have
to accomodate that country. Starbucks is about selling coffee.

Anyway, Saudi men may be kind of obnoxious. Its probably better for the women to have a separate entrance?

Haha, the one thing you can't do in Saudi is what the Romans did in the bath houses!  :lol:  So, do you think we should have accomodated P.W. Botha in South Africa?

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/t?s=SBUX