News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Oh, you have cancer? Too f'n bad!

Started by Bella, February 01, 2008, 05:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Apparently, the same goes for anyone with AIDS or who needs extra medical help to conceive a child. Why? Because the delusional people who believe in a soul as a real concept are getting all confused... poor lil' guys.

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceN ... cienceNews

McQ

Born and reared in a roman catholic house and seen a few popes in my time. This guy takes the cake. It's weird. People think it's so great that he is "reaching out" and saying that some stem cell research is good, but then he makes all these qualifiers that just make him seem like a twit.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Will

Benedict is a useless old fundy. I'm not a big fan of Catholicism, but at least John Paul was capable of empathy. He never would have done any of the shitty things that Benedict has done.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

tacoma_kyle

And this is coming from the guy who has recently announced condom use appropriate in the proper circumstances? He did that right?
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

McQ

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"And this is coming from the guy who has recently announced condom use appropriate in the proper circumstances? He did that right?

A roman catholic pope condoning condom use? I think not. I can't imagine he would ever give condoms the ok.

Anyone got a bead on this one?
--Penn Jillette

Sophie

I wasn't able to find any information about a recent announcement.  If there was such an announcement, it would definitely have been on the Vatican website.  The EWTN website has an extensive library of texts and new releases, etc, and  there wasn't anything there either.  I did find that in 2006, Pope Benedict approved a study about AIDS and condoms.  The plan was to see if condoms were actually successful in preventing the transmission of AIDs from one spouse to another.  There are several STDs that are transmitted rather frequently even with condom use.  

It's a tragedy.  I heard a good way of putting it from an Atheist Talk podcast: when the promise of heaven is taken seriously, those in authority are a lot less concerned about letting people die.  He was talking specifically about the war in Iraq, but it obviously applies here too.
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.  -- Robert A Heinlein, Job: A Comedy of Justice

tacoma_kyle

Yeah it was in response to AIDS and others similar.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Bella

So he basically wanted to use people as subjects in some wacky AIDS "experiment"?!

McQ

Quote from: "Bella"So he basically wanted to use people as subjects in some wacky AIDS "experiment"?!

No, not any more than any serious AIDS researchers. Even though I can't stand this pope, that would not be an accurate accusation.

...and neither the pope nor the church allows the use of condoms still.
--Penn Jillette

Bella

STD's and unwanted pregnancies... just one more reason...

McQ

Quote from: "Bella"STD's and unwanted pregnancies... just one more reason...

Why mess with hundreds of years of stellar church dogma?  :lol:

...yeah, there's nothing like good catholic doctrine to get your blood up.
--Penn Jillette

Sophie

Hard to believe I had fooled myself into believing the party line when I was Catholic.  

Of course, this type of discussion always makes me think of Monty Python's "Every Sperm is Sacred."  LOL
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.  -- Robert A Heinlein, Job: A Comedy of Justice