Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 14, 2020, 07:28:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 14, 2020, 06:41:20 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 14, 2020, 02:33:57 PM
Had a run-in with an errant power cord and ended up with a nail torn loose on my right big toe. >:( I need to get the extension cord for my lathe run overhead.

More like  :rant1:

:P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

i hate winter

the daughter and her boyfriend arived about noon, and we managed to get the old radiator out and install th enew one, fresh hoses too. no issues with that, but by the time we were were done it had snowed and there was fourinches on the ground. her pickup doesn't have limited slip, and it couldn't get out into the lane so i moved it into the hayfield and chained it to the ancient fourwheel drive dodge and dragged it to the house for the night

this morning the plough didn't come through until noon, so then they tried to get out to the highway and made it about a half mile before they spun out. i went and chained them up agaian and pulled them the three miles to the blacktop so they could get back home before dark. nice little truck but no good in the country. on snow the one wheel with torque just spins it in a circle instead of moving forward

so after we blew a head gasket in the 4WD ranger and the front axle went out in the 3/4-ton chevrolet, we're down to only one four wheel drive truck. hopefully we'll get money ahead and i can get the axle in the chevy fixed.

nice place to live in three seasons, but winter time out here can be problematic.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

I like winter with a few snowy days.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

I like winter almost as much as I like trumpolini.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

I don't care much for the cold but I love the snow. Georgia rarely gets any though at least in this part. Many years ago we had a blizzard and it dumped 18" of snow. That's something I'll never see again in my lifetime.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

snow is like volcanoes.

very picturesque on calendars and national geographic articles, not pleasant when gettign to work means miles of bad roads in the dark and months of cold.

i would gladly send every snowfall away to anybody who would like it.

Icarus

The pictures are beautiful Billy.  The reality of living in that kind of environment is much less beautiful.

billy rubin

this place is beautiful in spring and summer

but wearing a coat inside the house all winter is too much like england for me

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on December 18, 2020, 05:59:09 AM
this place is beautiful in spring and summer

but wearing a coat inside the house all winter is too much like england for me

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

Randy

I've never had the displeasure of an English winter. I'm glad I was able to avoid one. :)
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Randy

This is a long one. Yesterday (December 31, 2020) I was at the hospital to get an MRI and a CT scan. I was to report at noon (which I did) and proceeded to do all the paperwork when it was found that someone mixed up my information with someone else's and I may be due lower bills. I don't know yet but they've got to straighten it out now.

Then after I guess an hour with the checking in process, I'm wheeled (the tumor in my hip has been bothering me for weeks and I limp) to another department so they can access my port. A port is something embedded into a vein and is visible as a bump underneath the skin. It's for those of us who routinely need intravenous infusions and have run out of veins in the arms to use.

The port is accessed and I'm guessing it's about 1:30 at this point in the afternoon. They want to get an MRI of the brain to rule out a possible (but i doubt it) tumor. They'll hook up a dye of some sort to the port. I don't know what it's for though. The MRI is long and how long I don't know.

We are told that we can leave as long as we are back by 4:00. It's 3:07 now. Well, where the heck are we supposed to go? We end up at the pharmacy so my caregiver can get some things. We get back and it's almost four by the time we reach the door.

Now we are ready for the CT scan of my whole body. The one where I lie flat on a hard thin board, like the MRI I suppose, and am scanned slowly for about forty-five minutes to an hour.

Finally, it's six o'clock give-or-take and my caretaker goes to get the car and pull it around. I show her that they forgot to de-access my port. So we go back in and radiology is getting ready to close for the night when they spot us. De-accessing is very simple but you'd be surprised at the paperwork that is involved.

The whole time I wasn't feeling well and I was limping because of whatever is happening to my hip and leg. Some days it hurts worse than others.

Then we get home and find the internet is down. It turns out that my daughter had auto pay on a card that expired. She had to call them this morning and get it restarted. Last night was pretty boring.

So anyway, the last day of the year was pretty abysmal for me. I'm happy to see 2020 go.

Edit: I just reached 1000 posts. I don't know how I managed that but I don't feel quite so new anymore to the forum.