Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on April 17, 2020, 12:02:17 AM
lol

a fellow i use to know forgot he was wearing a full face motorcycle helmet when he went to spit out his chewing tobacco

your problem was more elegant

Um...ew. :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Way back in the day. I was riding my motorcycle down the road, being most happy to be doing so. I was singing loudly, mouth widely open as if Placido Domingo.  A large beetle of unknown origin or species flew into my open mouth. Ptspptk...etc.  The beetle did not taste good.  Florida has a lot of bugs, including beetles.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on April 18, 2020, 02:50:07 AM
Way back in the day. I was riding my motorcycle down the road, being most happy to be doing so. I was singing loudly, mouth widely open as if Placido Domingo.  A large beetle of unknown origin or species flew into my open mouth. Ptspptk...etc.  The beetle did not taste good.  Florida has a lot of bugs, including beetles.

I had some sort of bug fly into my mouth and strike the back of my throat when riding my bike once. I was cranking it downhill and making about 35 MPH, and breathing hard. I managed to cough said critter out, thankfully. I also got hit in the side of the head many years ago by one of those metallic green beetles that seem to always come around when I'm using shellac on a wood project. I think that they associate the smell of the alcohol solvent in the shellac for decomposition of fruit, which is their main source of food. I was driving down the street and that crazy shit flew in the window of the car and hit me right in the side of the head.  >:( I stopped the van and opened the door to stomp the offending creature, but it flew off before I could do so. :lol:

xSilverPhinx

:lol: You haven't lived if you haven't swallowed a bug while riding a bike! That sort of stuff just comes along with the package. ;)

If only in my case it had been a bug though. ::) Once, many years ago, I was riding my bike and something furry scraped against my cheek. I did know hear it coming and since it was in the dark I thought it could be a small nocturnal bat. Not sure though.

And before you ask, no...I did not swallow it.  :tapemouth:

xSilverPhinx

Feeling really drained. :( It feels like there there's so much going on...I'm overwhelmed.

I can't even write long replies to posts I've been meaning to reply to.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 24, 2020, 12:09:35 AM
Feeling really drained. :( It feels like there there's so much going on...I'm overwhelmed.

It's all a bit shite at the moment. What would have been a trivial problem before CV-19 is now an issue. The battery in my kitchen scales (CR2023 coin cell) is going flat, so I can't easily bake bread. A silly little problem but now I have to weigh up buying a battery from Amazon (and adding to the load of deliveries) or risking a trip to the supermarket, which may not have the item anyway. And if I get to the supermarket and they don't have the battery do I buy a whole new set of scales?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

You can find a lot of sites selling those batteries and some are cheaper than others.

billy rubin

i dontdo yeast breads, but for flat and batter breads i dont weigh anything . its all handfuls, double handfuls, so much in the palm, such and such a consistency . . .

how picky are the breads you make? can you tranzlate standard ingredeients from weight to volume and skip the scale?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Magdalena

I feel the same way.
:sad sigh:

:therethere:
~Take a break.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on April 24, 2020, 07:36:13 PM
You can find a lot of sites selling those batteries and some are cheaper than others.

I got some and all is well now. I can bake bread with gram level accuracy :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on April 24, 2020, 08:07:20 PM
i dontdo yeast breads, but for flat and batter breads i dont weigh anything . its all handfuls, double handfuls, so much in the palm, such and such a consistency . . .

how picky are the breads you make? can you tranzlate standard ingredeients from weight to volume and skip the scale?

I'm relatively new to the baking game so I'm in the stage of following the rules so I can learn which ones I can tweak. As you say though it's the ratio of ingredients not the absolute weights that is important. However I use a bread making machine. So if I overdo the ingredients there can be a mess to clear up. I've tweaked the recipe that I do regularly. 50% sourdough starter, 25% white flour, 25% wholemeal flour and sugar, salt, water and olive oil. Upping the starter:flour ratio makes a loaf with a lighter consistency than the standard recipe. 

Got some spelt flour to play with :)

billy rubin

breqd machines are great. they hold everything constant so that you can rwally see what is going on.

my bread is all hand grenade style. . . . close is good enough.

but consistency is never there and sometimez everything blows up

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on April 25, 2020, 01:33:44 AM

I feel the same way.
:sad sigh:

:therethere:
~Take a break.

:console:

Yeah, so much shit going on. I'm taking a half-break, not posting as much but popping every now and then to check up on you guys. ;)

hermes2015

I have found three canvases at different stages I started a long time ago, so now I've been working on them. Oddly, I have the sudden urge to use bright colours like pink and acid green, in contrast to my usual sombre, earthy palette. Could it be a psychological effect of isolation? Anyway, it keeps my mind off things, because painting is good therapy.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 25, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

I have found three canvases at different stages I started a long time ago, so now I've been working on them. Oddly, I have the sudden urge to use bright colours like pink and acid green, in contrast to my usual sombre, earthy palette. Could it be a psychological effect of isolation? Anyway, it keeps my mind off things, because painting is good therapy.

They say boredom is great to get those creative juices flowing. Maybe your brain is starved for something new after weeks of being in the same environment. But I don't know, what do you think?  ;D