News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on April 28, 2019, 02:25:14 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 24, 2019, 02:33:41 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 24, 2019, 02:25:55 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 24, 2019, 12:58:48 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 24, 2019, 05:55:46 AM
Our service department was broken into a week ago. They came through the wall. One of the main items taken was the acetylene gas. Thieves pump it into ATMs and ignite it. If the gas/air mix is correct it blows the ATM open.

That is insanely dangerous. But, you can't feel but so bad for someone trying to rob a bank. I suppose acetylene isn't an off the shelf item in the UK? You can buy small cans here very easily.

I have never had the need to obtain it in the UK so I don't know what size containers it comes in.

Acetylene comes in a number of tank sizes. I have an oxyacetylene rig of my own. I don't know why the robbers don't use propane. It's far easier to get and would give as big a bang. Acetylene is far more dangerous to mess with. If they get the pressure too high it can self-combust. Not that I would have any sympathy for them if they ate some metal when the ATM blows up.

Propane would work but it has a much narrower range of air fuel mixtures where it's combustible. Acetylene goes poof and boom very easily. I remember seeing a photo of a car some idiot was using to carry a baloney filled with acetylene for a science experiment. There wasn't any glass left after a static spark between the baloney and the headliner set off the gas. I wonder what happened to the driver.

Sounds like a lot of baloney to me.  ;D I will agree that acetylene has a larger explosive range. It'll blow up all by itself if not properly contained. The driver of the car quite likely was killed by the blast, especially so if he had his mouth open when it occurred. Blast lung is a real problem.

jumbojak

Baloo. Baloo. Baloney. What the ever loving frig! Baloon goddammit. Why doesn't my dictionary recognize BALOON? ??

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 28, 2019, 05:19:09 AM
Baloo. Baloo. Baloney. What the ever loving frig! Baloon goddammit. Why doesn't my dictionary recognize BALOON? ??

:rofl:

It's clear who made it didn't have a happy childhood!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

jumbojak

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 29, 2019, 02:42:15 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 29, 2019, 02:37:10 AM
I don't like Sundays.  :headshake:

I do. I don't work Sundays!

:snooty:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

jumbojak

If it's any consolation, this Sunday was pretty rotten.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 29, 2019, 02:45:49 AM
If it's any consolation, this Sunday was pretty rotten.

Of course it's no consolation, I don't think any of us deserve rotten Sundays -- or any day for that matter. :sad sigh:

Health-related issues?

jumbojak

In part, yes. I've been in a bad way every morning this week. I think being cooped up and not able to do much is wearing on me. I can stretch, but it's exhausting.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 29, 2019, 02:54:15 AM
In part, yes. I've been in a bad way every morning this week. I think being cooped up and not able to do much is wearing on me. I can stretch, but it's exhausting.

:(

How about puzzles or books or series you've been putting off watching?  :chin:

jumbojak

I get bored with stuff like that. I really don't like television anymore and my drive to read has really gone down recently. Could have something to do with my declining vision. There's some decent content on YouTube these days but that's about it.

Tank

I don't like Sundays much either.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Sundays are my one guaranteed day off a week.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.