News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Just sent a third email to the university's Extension department regarding certificates for myself and the team who organised an introductory class for a larger programme back in May. For me, the certificate is not that important, but for the undergraduate student who participated in organising the class it's worth extracurricular credit. Since I was the one who insisted we put something together this year I feel responsible, so here I am again, patiently writing a 'hello? Where are the certificates?' letter.

I send out emails and don't get any answers, not even a 'fuck you, you ain't getting no certificate' kind of reply.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 07, 2018, 03:18:07 AM
Just sent a third email to the university's Extension department regarding certificates for myself and the team who organised an introductory class for a larger programme back in May. For me, the certificate is not that important, but for the undergraduate student who participated in organising the class it's worth extracurricular credit. Since I was the one who insisted we put something together this year I feel responsible, so here I am again, patiently writing a 'hello? Where are the certificates?' letter.

I send out emails and don't get any answers, not even a 'fuck you, you ain't getting no certificate' kind of reply.  ::)

Bureaucracy, one of the evils spawned by the Devil for the torture of mankind!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Go up the tree with the letters/emails. The person you go to will forward your communication back down the tree. They won't pay attention to you but if you're going over their heads they will pay attention.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on September 07, 2018, 06:27:38 AM

Go up the tree with the letters/emails. The person you go to will forward your communication back down the tree. They won't pay attention to you but if you're going over their heads they will pay attention.

If I don't get a reply early next week (today is a major holiday in Brazil, so I don't expect anything) I will do that. The department is on another campus and a bit out of my way, so I'm really hoping they will answer my email.

jumbojak

Many years ago, back when I was in college, a friend was having trouble with her advisor. It seems that her advisor didn't grasp the requirements for her degree and had her sign up for a class that didn't meet the prerequisite requirements for the next class she had to take.

Not wanting to ruffle any feathers since the term was underway she had decided to finish the class she was signed up for and then take the class she actually needed during the next semester. I went to the president of the college, walked right into his office, explained the situation, and left with a handwritten prerequisite exception for my friend.

Sometimes it pays off to leave footprints on people's heads as you solve a problem.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bluenose

I learned way back when I was in Navy Office that in a bureaucracy once you have given the system a chance to work, it's no good going to the boss of the person who didn't do their job, they're too close to the action.  Go right to the top of the whole shebang telling him "your boiys have stuffed up" and let the arse kicking work its way back down to the level where you needed action in the first place.  In the case I was in, I went to the First Assistant Secretary of the Department of Defence because some minor functionary would not do his job getting a security clearance for a civilian to enter the Ops Room on one of our ships to do some necessary work.  It's a high risk strategy, you have to be VERY sure you are right and have abided by any and all rules about the matter, but if you have your ducks in a row, it is very effective.  It also gives you a reputation as someone who should not be stuffed around with, thus preventing future such issues.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Velma

This introvert made plans with a friend. That means I have to get dressed, leave the house, and be around a bunch of strangers on my day off!
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on September 07, 2018, 02:41:32 PM
Many years ago, back when I was in college, a friend was having trouble with her advisor. It seems that her advisor didn't grasp the requirements for her degree and had her sign up for a class that didn't meet the prerequisite requirements for the next class she had to take.

Not wanting to ruffle any feathers since the term was underway she had decided to finish the class she was signed up for and then take the class she actually needed during the next semester. I went to the president of the college, walked right into his office, explained the situation, and left with a handwritten prerequisite exception for my friend.

Sometimes it pays off to leave footprints on people's heads as you solve a problem.

Quote from: Bluenose on September 07, 2018, 02:51:55 PM
I learned way back when I was in Navy Office that in a bureaucracy once you have given the system a chance to work, it's no good going to the boss of the person who didn't do their job, they're too close to the action.  Go right to the top of the whole shebang telling him "your boiys have stuffed up" and let the arse kicking work its way back down to the level where you needed action in the first place.  In the case I was in, I went to the First Assistant Secretary of the Department of Defence because some minor functionary would not do his job getting a security clearance for a civilian to enter the Ops Room on one of our ships to do some necessary work.  It's a high risk strategy, you have to be VERY sure you are right and have abided by any and all rules about the matter, but if you have your ducks in a row, it is very effective.  It also gives you a reputation as someone who should not be stuffed around with, thus preventing future such issues.

Yeah, if I don't get a reply by Tuesday I'm going to make their office my new stomping ground.  >:(

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on September 07, 2018, 08:34:48 PM
This introvert made plans with a friend. That means I have to get dressed, leave the house, and be around a bunch of strangers on my day off!

Hmm...as an introvert myself I also don't like such situations, but in my experience it always turns out to be fun in the end.  :thumbsup:

Bluenose

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 07, 2018, 11:43:21 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 07, 2018, 02:41:32 PM

Quote from: Bluenose on September 07, 2018, 02:51:55 PM

Yeah, if I don't get a reply by Tuesday I'm going to make their office my new stomping ground.  >:(

Good for you

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bluenose

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 07, 2018, 11:45:15 PM

Hmm...as an introvert myself I also don't like such situations, but in my experience it always turns out to be fun in the end.  :thumbsup:

I'm not an introvert, so I can offer no insight into this situation.  But I add my wishes that you go an have some fun!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Velma

Quote from: Bluenose on September 08, 2018, 01:27:53 AM

I'm not an introvert, so I can offer no insight into this situation.  But I add my wishes that you go an have some fun!
I did go and I did have fun. The science museum had a Harry Potter themed event. Someone gave a talk on the controversies surrounding HP. There were a lot of local vendors selling HP themed arts and crafts and food. It was huge fun.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on September 08, 2018, 05:46:17 AM

I did go and I did have fun. The science museum had a Harry Potter themed event. Someone gave a talk on the controversies surrounding HP. There were a lot of local vendors selling HP themed arts and crafts and food. It was huge fun.

I'm green with envy!

Tank

You never struck me as shy person, in the end! :grin:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

No shit Sherlock! :rofl: