Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 28, 2018, 03:03:23 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 28, 2018, 02:28:36 AM
Siover, you have a right to be gtupmy. If he "marks you down" on your poster can you register an official complsint regarding his behaviour? Or st least talk with your advisor sbout it?

There are, unfortunstely, self-important bastards like that in every profession.

Thing is, we don't know what are marks are, they don't give us any feedback regarding our presentations or posters. I didn't officially register a complaint, a labmate and I just wrote observations in the official app for the event. I doubt it will amount to anything though. He was there evaluating posters last year, he will be there again in the next as well. I was just really unlucky.

It seems to me that having no feedback about any kind of test or evaluation invalidates the very reason for a test - that the testee may learn from any mistakes. Perhaps it is actually a functionless, "make-work" exercise that the evaluator knows is a total waste of time? When I would hope that it was a test of the ability to communicate the purpose-method-result succinctly to those without intimate knowledge of the project - a valuable skill for when you are a famous scientist and media pop-science star!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 28, 2018, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 27, 2018, 11:13:03 PM
Well, my first scientific congress is over, I'm back home and happy (home sweet home). That isn't a reason to be grumpy. What really left me feeling irritated and frustrated was, when I was presenting my poster to the evaluator, he just wasn't interested. He didn't even feign interest. Glancing at his watch every now and then, looking down the corridor, saying random things passersby and asking me to hurry up because he had "another 10 posters to see" left me feeling angry and frustrated. When you put so much of your energy and become emotionally invested in your project, only to have some random person dismiss it all in that way, it really sucks.

Just remind him how dismissive and grumpy he was to you when you receive your Nobel prize! :)

You read my mind. I was about to say the same thing.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 28, 2018, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 27, 2018, 11:13:03 PM
Well, my first scientific congress is over, I'm back home and happy (home sweet home). That isn't a reason to be grumpy. What really left me feeling irritated and frustrated was, when I was presenting my poster to the evaluator, he just wasn't interested. He didn't even feign interest. Glancing at his watch every now and then, looking down the corridor, saying random things passersby and asking me to hurry up because he had "another 10 posters to see" left me feeling angry and frustrated. When you put so much of your energy and become emotionally invested in your project, only to have some random person dismiss it all in that way, it really sucks.

Just remind him how dismissive and grumpy he was to you when you receive your Nobel prize! :)

Heh, what I do or earn in my dreams doesn't count! :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Unless the dream becomes reality.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on August 28, 2018, 08:52:19 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 28, 2018, 03:03:23 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 28, 2018, 02:28:36 AM
Siover, you have a right to be gtupmy. If he "marks you down" on your poster can you register an official complsint regarding his behaviour? Or st least talk with your advisor sbout it?

There are, unfortunstely, self-important bastards like that in every profession.

Thing is, we don't know what are marks are, they don't give us any feedback regarding our presentations or posters. I didn't officially register a complaint, a labmate and I just wrote observations in the official app for the event. I doubt it will amount to anything though. He was there evaluating posters last year, he will be there again in the next as well. I was just really unlucky.

It seems to me that having no feedback about any kind of test or evaluation invalidates the very reason for a test - that the testee may learn from any mistakes. Perhaps it is actually a functionless, "make-work" exercise that the evaluator knows is a total waste of time? When I would hope that it was a test of the ability to communicate the purpose-method-result succinctly to those without intimate knowledge of the project - a valuable skill for when you are a famous scientist and media pop-science star!

I agree, I want the feedback, especially because I know that I can improve so many aspects of my presentation. My poster was in English, which may have put him off (some people don't want to have to read in English). I don't know what the problem was -- maybe it was just his problem.

I'm not going to let it get to me though, I'm going to present the same poster in October, maybe then I'll get some discussions and suggestions.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on August 28, 2018, 03:00:48 PM
Unless the dream becomes reality.

True, and so many of my dreams have, but I think getting such a prestigious award is going to stay in the dream realm. :P

Icarus

For whatever it's worth XSP, none of us here dismisses you as just another student.  You are our research hero.  I would just love to meet you for lunch and have a chance to council you about how to survive jackass superiors. ...................

.For example; imagine, for a moment, that you can see them on the toilet because they have terminal diarhea

Mental images are often useful for ones peace of mind.. It is a method for  keeping your mouth shut while thinking of expressions such as ...Go fuck yourself you rude bastard.   

Try it. I mean you are into the brain game so you can almost surely manipulate your thoughts to serve your own best interests and comfort..

Yours truly,
Grandfather Icarus

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on August 29, 2018, 02:15:40 AM
For whatever it's worth XSP, none of us here dismisses you as just another student.  You are our research hero.  I would just love to meet you for lunch and have a chance to council you about how to survive jackass superiors. ...................

.For example; imagine, for a moment, that you can see them on the toilet because they have terminal diarhea

Mental images are often useful for ones peace of mind.. It is a method for  keeping your mouth shut while thinking of expressions such as ...Go fuck yourself you rude bastard.   

Try it. I mean you are into the brain game so you can almost surely manipulate your thoughts to serve your own best interests and comfort..

Yours truly,
Grandfather Icarus

Thanks, Icarus. I admit I didn't really know what to think at the time, I was a little shocked as I didn't expect it but at the same time so preoccupied with how I was going to summarise the presentation I had prepared that I didn't think much of his rudeness. I felt really angry about it after he had gone to the next poster.

:notsure: Terminal diarrhea sounds nasty. I like it.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 29, 2018, 02:30:57 AM

Yours truly,
Grandfather Icarus

Thanks, Icarus. I admit I didn't really know what to think at the time, I was a little shocked as I didn't expect it but at the same time so preoccupied with how I was going to summarise the presentation I had prepared that I didn't think much of his rudeness. I felt really angry about it after he had gone to the next poster.

It's called cholera :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on August 29, 2018, 08:45:10 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 29, 2018, 02:30:57 AM

Yours truly,
Grandfather Icarus

It's called cholera :D

Don't forget about dysentery. That's a classic.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tom62

Next week I'll have to go back to the Netherlands.
My stepmother died this morning. I'll miss her dearly  :'(.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on September 02, 2018, 05:55:47 PM

Sad news, Tom.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Sad news, Tom. That will not be a happy trip.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Sorry to hear that, Tom.  :( Condolences.

Tank

Sad news Tom. Condolences to you and your family.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.