News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Not a major grump, but I had to take the long way to work Thursday. I had completely forgotten that the Orange Idiot was going to be passing through on his way to Granite City from the St. Louis airport. Roads were shut down all over the place. Traffic was at a stand still for miles. Fortunately, my GPS routed me around it.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Essie Mae

Quote from: Velma on July 28, 2018, 02:15:43 AM
Not a major grump, but I had to take the long way to work Thursday. I had completely forgotten that the Orange Idiot was going to be passing through on his way to Granite City from the St. Louis airport. Roads were shut down all over the place. Traffic was at a stand still for miles. Fortunately, my GPS routed me around it.
Even having to spend a few cents more for the petrol because of that godawful man must have been annoying to say the least.😡
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 28, 2018, 11:07:25 AM
Even having to spend a few cents more for the petrol because of that godawful man must have been annoying to say the least.😡

Not so much the petrol, stuck in a queue like that you can always turn off the engine. It also means maybe hundreds of people have to waste time, maybe emergency vehicles can't get through.

Though, if hot and you have AC turning off the engine is a bummer!

A visit by the PM here can cost a lot (flight or train journey, preroute inspection, traffic control, crowd control, peripheral security, lost working time etc, etc) I hate to think what it costs over there!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Velma

Quote from: Dave on July 28, 2018, 12:01:15 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on July 28, 2018, 11:07:25 AM

Not so much the petrol, stuck in a queue like that you can always turn off the engine. It also means maybe hundreds of people have to waste time, maybe emergency vehicles can't get through.

Though, if hot and you have AC turning off the engine is a bummer!

A visit by the PM here can cost a lot (flight or train journey, preroute inspection, traffic control, crowd control, peripheral security, lost working time etc, etc) I hate to think what it costs over there!
I was very glad that I did not wind up sitting in stopped traffic at all. It was more the annoyance of having to change my route at the last second to one that I am far less familiar with. There were, however, several people who were late to work because of the traffic delay.

I've not bothered to even see why he was here. Not that it matters. He shows up, lies a lot, then leaves. I would have to check for myself if the man said water was wet.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

I'm going to have to teach a few undergraduate classes next semester. 12 hours worth of classes.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Be the Nutty Professor you were born to be!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 29, 2018, 02:46:11 AM
I'm going to have to teach a few undergraduate classes next semester. 12 hours worth of classes.

First year lectures are the worst.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Do them to camera and show them a video.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on July 29, 2018, 03:46:46 AM
Be the Nutty Professor you were born to be!

:lol: Nutty, absent-minded, disorganised and desperate.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 29, 2018, 05:02:07 AM

First year lectures are the worst.

Yeah, and there's a good chance it's going to be first year classes I'm going to have to teach. Basic molecular biophysics and neuroscience.

I'm going to try and see if I can teach pedagogy undergrads. They are notoriously bad when it comes to brain sciences.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on July 29, 2018, 08:23:04 AM

I don't have that much freedom. Some supervising professors don't even like that we use PowerPoint slides -- as if it's still 1995. :(

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 29, 2018, 02:59:28 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 29, 2018, 08:23:04 AM

I don't have that much freedom. Some supervising professors don't even like that we use PowerPoint slides -- as if it's still 1995. :(

Well don't 'hate' the experience. Use it as a learning experience.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Teaching with complete commitment is the hardest job you will ever do, Silver.  When you have done that you will realize that it is a marvelous exercise that reveals how well you have knowledge of the subject.   If done well it is one of the most rewarding of experiences.

You go girl!

Buddy

I think that my workplace is some kind of arctic wasteland. It is so cold here and the coffee machine broke so I don't even have coffee to keep me warm.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on July 31, 2018, 05:49:57 PM
I think that my workplace is some kind of arctic wasteland. It is so cold here and the coffee machine broke so I don't even have coffee to keep me warm.

Turn the air conditioning down!