News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

My Dad and I watched a program with Bill Nye and he was cutting while wearing gloves and using a saw. My father warned me against that because if the gloves get caught by the saw, your hand is going with it.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

With stationary power tools, yes gloves and long sleeves are dangerous. For handtools or handheld power tools gloves are fine.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on June 11, 2018, 08:42:11 PM
With stationary power tools, yes gloves and long sleeves are dangerous. For handtools or handheld power tools gloves are fine.
Yeah, seen the result of gloves dragging fingers onto a grindstone - gory and gruesome! Might be very careful mixing gloves and a 4" angle grinder as well.

Got gloves for most jobs now - 'cept SS mesh ones, but don't actually do much butchering, just the odd chicken.

What kind of saw was Bill Nye cutting with, hand, circular, chain reciprocating . . .? Makes a difference.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Stainless chain mesh gloves are common in the clothing business where the fabric is piled many thicknesses deep and then cut, according to pattern, with a reciprocating knife. The knife is electric, large, heavy and potentially dangerous.  The gloves are pricey but they do what is intended. The knife can not cut through those intricately woven chains.

There are some garments and gloves of that sort used in the Scuba diving profession....or hobby as the case may be.  Supposedly shark and barracuda proof coverings. 

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on June 11, 2018, 08:59:17 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on June 11, 2018, 08:42:11 PM
Yeah, seen the result of gloves dragging fingers onto a grindstone - gory and gruesome! Might be very careful mixing gloves and a 4" angle grinder as well.

Got gloves for most jobs now - 'cept SS mesh ones, but don't actually do much butchering, just the odd chicken.

What kind of saw was Bill Nye cutting with, hand, circular, chain reciprocating . . .? Makes a difference.

With an angle grinder I'd be much more worried about a piece of debris causing someone to drop the grinder and potentially be chased by it and maimed that way than getting a glove caught in the wheel. Really, you should never get your hand close enough to come into contact but I've seen it happen plenty of times so... I dunno.

A dropped grinder with a locking switch if frickin scary as hell though. I saw that happen to a guy working in the back of a dump truck. It climbed up his leg and nearly neutered him before he could get over the side of the truck. It kept dancing around until the wheel finally broke. Of course, he had the cord ends tied together.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

The sound level of Youtube videos are too often RIDICULOUSLY LOUD. WTF?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dragonia

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 14, 2018, 02:17:45 PM

Turn down the volume on your hearing aid.  :grin:

You're welcome.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Arturo

Quote from: Dragonia on June 15, 2018, 03:50:06 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 14, 2018, 02:17:45 PM

Turn down the volume on your hearing aid.  :grin:

You're welcome.

Thank you.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Going to take your advice after all, Recusant!

Though weight loss is seemingly consistent with the "evening flu" and my appetite is a bit suppressed I have lost 100g to 150g per day over the last week. I never have hit the carbs heavily anyway, mainly "interesting" and fibrous breads rather than pastas, spuds etc. Oh, oats, walnuts and mixed dried fruit with soy milk for brekkers. Last few days been consuming more protein; fish, ham, chicken and cheese. Plus yoghurt. Also been eating more fruit and drinking more juice.

Need strong flavours.

Gonna hit an 8" double spicy chicken and pepperoni pizza tonight. Will try not to eat more than half of it today!  Might have a lettuce leaf with it for health.  :grin:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Velma

It's a bit silly, but finding a Bluetooth headset that lasts for my entire 10 hour shift made me rather cheerful. Even better, the ear buds are quite comfortable. It only cost $80 (US). It is a Jabra Elite 25e. No more fussing about running the wire under my shirt so I don't snag it on things at work. It is a small thing, but it makes my work day a bit easier.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Arturo

Quote from: Velma on June 16, 2018, 06:40:23 PM
It's a bit silly, but finding a Bluetooth headset that lasts for my entire 10 hour shift made me rather cheerful. Even better, the ear buds are quite comfortable. It only cost $80 (US). It is a Jabra Elite 25e. No more fussing about running the wire under my shirt so I don't snag it on things at work. It is a small thing, but it makes my work day a bit easier.

That's good! I don't see any reason to be grumpy! I have the same thing with my bluetooth ear buds for the gym! They run around the back of my neck rather nicely and fit like regular ear buds! Something I looked for when I went to buy those.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Velma

Quote from: Arturo on June 16, 2018, 06:48:56 PM
Quote from: Velma on June 16, 2018, 06:40:23 PM

That's good! I don't see any reason to be grumpy! I have the same thing with my bluetooth ear buds for the gym! They run around the back of my neck rather nicely and fit like regular ear buds! Something I looked for when I went to buy those.
Dang it! Wrong thread. DOH!
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

What I have done is post before I had sufficient caffeine in my system.  ;D

Tom62

Quote from: Velma on June 16, 2018, 07:11:24 PM
What I have done is post before I had sufficient caffeine in my system.  ;D
Now that is real good reason for feeling grumpy ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein