News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on June 05, 2018, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on June 05, 2018, 02:31:34 PM
When was your brake fluid last changed? That's often a contributing factor in sticking caliper pistons. Corrosion on the piston catches the square cut seal.
It's the rear cylinder brakes, front discs are OK on the dynamometer.  Fluid changed about 2000 miles ago, at 30k mile service. Thst was about 2.5 years ago.

Still reckon I am too light on the pedal! I well know things get stiff if you don't exercise them (well, most things), and wear out if you exercise them too hard, too much.

Might have the fluid checked for water and copper contamination. Two years is about the service interval on brake fluid, if I remember correctly.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on June 05, 2018, 06:13:40 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 05, 2018, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on June 05, 2018, 02:31:34 PM
When was your brake fluid last changed? That's often a contributing factor in sticking caliper pistons. Corrosion on the piston catches the square cut seal.
It's the rear cylinder brakes, front discs are OK on the dynamometer.  Fluid changed about 2000 miles ago, at 30k mile service. Thst was about 2.5 years ago.

Still reckon I am too light on the pedal! I well know things get stiff if you don't exercise them (well, most things), and wear out if you exercise them too hard, too much.

Might have the fluid checked for water and copper contamination. Two years is about the service interval on brake fluid, if I remember correctly.

They changed slave cylinders, hoses and fluid it seems - £212 including the test. Trouble is the put the wrong mileage on the cert, seems like I have done minus 600 miles last year. Odometer was in "trip" mode, not total miles, and they missed the decimal point. Never would have happened back in the old days with proper odometers with little numbers that went round and two of them!
:geezer!:

I think this also invalidates the certificate.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Since they screwed up they should make it right. To me, that means retesting or knocking that cost off the repair bill. Also, I just realized how rare drum brakes are these days. Stuck brake cylinders never crossed my mind!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on June 06, 2018, 03:21:35 AM
Since they screwed up they should make it right. To me, that means retesting or knocking that cost off the repair bill. Also, I just realized how rare drum brakes are these days. Stuck brake cylinders never crossed my mind!

Not sure what you mean about their fsult. The duff cylinders are not their fault and, having had the required work done by them, the retest was free. Getting a replacement or copy of the cert costs £10, well it did when my wallet was stolen some years ago. This time, yes their error, a replacement cert should be free.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on June 06, 2018, 05:30:26 AM

Not sure what you mean about their fsult. The duff cylinders are not their fault and, having had the required work done by them, the retest was free. Getting a replacement or copy of the cert costs £10, well it did when my wallet was stolen some years ago. This time, yes their error, a replacement cert should be free.

That's what I meant. I wasn't sure how much the test cost, use of a dyno had me thinking big money.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on June 06, 2018, 05:41:45 AM
Quote from: Dave on June 06, 2018, 05:30:26 AM

That's what I meant. I wasn't sure how much the test cost, use of a dyno had me thinking big money.

The standard test fee is about £54, as a repeat customer I get 50% discount off that. Can't see why using the dyno would be so expensive, just a powered rolling road the brakes fight against, standard part of the annual inspection - and should be used after any serious brake work, from a shoe/pad change up, according to a car mechanic neighbour. Rather pay a well equipped service station with certified techs for work on brake and steering systems rather than a bloke in a shed round the back.

jumbojak

A dyno is a rare piece of shop equipment over here. The only places I know of that even have one are race shops and aftermarket tuners. One is an old race shop in Richmond and the other is a tuner in North Carolina. Either has a waiting list to get a car on the machine. If you asked mechanics here about dyno testing brakes they'd look at you like you were crazy!

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on June 06, 2018, 01:02:15 PM
A dyno is a rare piece of shop equipment over here. The only places I know of that even have one are race shops and aftermarket tuners. One is an old race shop in Richmond and the other is a tuner in North Carolina. Either has a waiting list to get a car on the machine. If you asked mechanics here about dyno testing brakes they'd look at you like you were crazy!

Maybe the ones in the testing stations are not full dynos. Doubt the are used to check the horsepower at the wheels, as a full dyno would, but to check the opposite - the braking power.The drive for a full dyno would be a motor/generator with a calibrated e.m.f. brake so you can check the power out of the car as well as its speedo and braking system.

Suppose I should call the cut down version a "rolling road" to differentiate.. But some testing stations offer full performance testing/tuning as well.

Dave

Definitely got severe man flu.

Dave

Quote from: Dave on June 06, 2018, 08:23:19 PM
Yup.

At 10pm last night I was coughing continuously, weak, stinking head ache, felt like thumbs pressing my eyeball in, acheing in every joint . . . Barely got my teeth scraped and collapsed into bed.

At 1am woke up and needed to go to the loo, almost all symptoms gone, just slight, residual cough. 3am same story. What is this bug that hits in two or three hours then disappears just as quickly?

Just hoping it has pissed off for good!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 07, 2018, 03:18:59 AM
Quote from: Dave on June 06, 2018, 08:23:19 PM
Yup.

At 10pm last night I was coughing continuously, weak, stinking head ache, felt like thumbs pressing my eyeball in, acheing in every joint . . . Barely got my teeth scraped and collapsed into bed.

At 1am woke up and needed to go to the loo, almost all symptoms gone, just slight, residual cough. 3am same story. What is this bug that hits in two or three hours then disappears just as quickly?

Just hoping it has pissed off for good!

We should call it "vol de nuit" flu.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on June 07, 2018, 04:54:19 AM
We'd call that the croup.

That makes sense. In his youth Dave was a dashing croupier in Monte Carlo, the plaything of many a merry widow.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

@ JJ
Coup is domething jot often mentioned ivee here, I am sure we get it but mainly remember that name from American sources. Hmm, could be, sort off. I did not have all the symptoms listed in Wiki. And it lasted hours rather than days - but that might be because I have had the flu jab and have a degree of immunity. Also a bit old, but sometimes elderliness leaves one vulnerable to kid's diseases. Presumably if one survives a few yesrs of colds and flu croup does not normally get a look-in.

Since I felt short of breath I hit myself with Ventolin and GTN spray, to open up the airways and vascular systems, as well as my usual nightly aspirin and paracetamol.

@Hermes
That must have been a previous life that I have no memory of. If there was dashing involved it was usually the women running away from me!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 07, 2018, 05:44:18 AM
@ JJ
Coup is domething jot often mentioned ivee here, I am sure we get it but mainly remember that name from American sources. Hmm, could be, sort off. I did not have all the symptoms listed in Wiki. And it lasted hours rather than days - but that might be because I have had the flu jab and have a degree of immunity. Also a bit old, but sometimes elderliness leaves one vulnerable to kid's diseases. Presumably if one survives a few yesrs of colds and flu croup does not normally get a look-in.

Since I felt short of breath I hit myself with Ventolin and GTN spray, to open up the airways and vascular systems, as well as my usual nightly aspirin and paracetamol.

@Hermes
That must have been a previous life that I have no memory of. If there was dashing involved it was usually the women running away from me!

You are too modest.
― Charles Eames