News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Gone midnight, 2 degrees of fever, sweating, joints aching, ditto head, skin overly senstive, knackered yet nowhere near sleep . . .

Paracetamol (Tylenol) and aspirin not helping much.

Think I might have a bug.

Wish it would bug off (to use an American expression.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Hmm, the unofficial HAF panacea seems in order: Some hot whisky and lemon.

Take care, Dave, that sounds like a potentially rather bothersome invader.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 02, 2018, 12:39:44 AM
Gone midnight, 2 degrees of fever, sweating, joints aching, ditto head, skin overly senstive, knackered yet nowhere near sleep . . .

Hope you get over it soon, Dave. It sounds like one of those fleeting viruses, so it may only last up to two days if you follow Recusant's advice.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 02, 2018, 04:45:02 AM

Hope you get over it soon, Dave. It sounds like one of those fleeting viruses, so it may only last up to two days if you follow Recusant's advice.
Thanks for the concern guts!

Like to follow that medical advice but not up to driving to Tesco to get the requesits!

Actually do feel better (@ 0530), got some sleep and temp normal again.  Though worse this is the second time this has happened in a week. Definitely a "fleeting virus" in effect. Hmm, I have had the 'flu jab but wonder what happens if you subsequently get hit with a flu virus? Does the jab stop it dead during incubation, before any symptoms even show, or will there be a reduced (level and duration) symptomatic period whilst the antibodies do their job? And what happens if you get hit by a close relative of whatever flu variety mix they decided on this time?

The jab gives no protection against cold (rhino-) viruses but, if anything, my chronic rhinitis has reduced during this period

Can't find much on it with a quick sesrch, main mentions are of the delay in immunity activation (whilst the antibodies are made) and side effects soon after having the jab. I have never been bothered by those. Had the jab last October.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 02, 2018, 05:53:26 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 02, 2018, 04:45:02 AM

Thanks for the concern guts!

Like to follow that medical advice but not up to driving to Tesco to get the requesits!

Actually do feel better (@ 0530), got some sleep and temp normal again.  Though worse this is the second time this has happened in a week. Definitely a "fleeting virus" in effect. Hmm, I have had the 'flu jab but wonder what happens if you subsequently get hit with a flu virus? Does the jab stop it dead during incubation, before any symptoms even show, or will there be a reduced (level and duration) symptomatic period whilst the antibodies do their job? And what happens if you get hit by a close relative of whatever flu variety mix they decided on this time?

The jab gives no protection against cold (rhino-) viruses but, if anything, my chronic rhinitis has reduced during this period

Can't find much on it with a quick sesrch, main mentions are of the delay in immunity activation (whilst the antibodies are made) and side effects soon after having the jab. I have never been bothered by those. Had the jab last October.

Glad you got some sleep. Since my discharge from hospital last Sunday, I discovered how lack of sleep can increase my grumpiness. Last night was the first this week I slept more than 1 hour; I guess I got about 5. It seems to be a common problem after hip replacements.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on June 01, 2018, 06:29:13 PM
I am finally resigned to the fact that I am getting old.

Gentle exercise is not relieving the almost constant achey feeling in my shoulders. Normally it takes only a couple of days to get used to sitting at the computer again - but after a week my arms, shoulders and back. That puts the kibosh on my current voluntary job. Gentle but constant movement, not letting joints get "set" by staying in one position too long seems to be the trick.

Lifting and carrying, even pushing a shopping cart, causes shortness of breath. But, looking on the bright side, I can walk further now before needing a rest than way the case at the start of the year. Just have to do it as a slow stroll.

This shouldn't be happening at your age.
Are you sure you're eating enough babies?

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 02, 2018, 03:25:06 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 01, 2018, 06:29:13 PM
I am finally resigned to the fact that I am getting old.

Gentle exercise is not relieving the almost constant achey feeling in my shoulders. Normally it takes only a couple of days to get used to sitting at the computer again - but after a week my arms, shoulders and back. That puts the kibosh on my current voluntary job. Gentle but constant movement, not letting joints get "set" by staying in one position too long seems to be the trick.

Lifting and carrying, even pushing a shopping cart, causes shortness of breath. But, looking on the bright side, I can walk further now before needing a rest than way the case at the start of the year. Just have to do it as a slow stroll.

This shouldn't be happening at your age.
Are you sure you're eating enough babies?

At 73 and 20 years after being given a 5% chance of surviving my heart attack(s), nearly dying twice since and being in heart failure I have a right to get breathless!

Naw, gone off babies, too tender, need something to get my teeth into. Spit roast football player sounds good, nice and lean, good for the diet!

Dave

Tripped over a book on the gloor, got carpet burns down to the red stuff on right knee and elbow. Bloody sore.

That it is entirely my fault does not help. The book is called "Illusions", the pain is no illusion.

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on June 03, 2018, 09:52:26 PM
Tripped over a book on the gloor, got carpet burns down to the red stuff on right knee and elbow. Bloody sore.

That it is entirely my fault does not help. The book is called "Illusions", the pain is no illusion.

The illusion was probably when you didn't see the book.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on June 03, 2018, 10:27:21 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 03, 2018, 09:52:26 PM

The illusion was probably when you didn't see the book.

More like being disillusioned.

No one

I was promised an apocalypse in 2012. It has yet to manifest. I grow more grumpy by the hour!

Dave

Csr failed its annual inspection, rear brakes binding in pistons and not applying properly.

Problem is that I am a "light right" driver, easy on the accelerator (mostly) and brakes. Use the gears when slowing for a stop (unless the guy in front brakes) and brake lightly for last car length or two. Don't give the brakes enough exercise or notice loss of efficiency.

Anyway, they say the can fix it this afternoon, will call me when, and there are bus stops, boths ways, right outside.

Had a pub lunch, kid's portion of chicken chaser with chips and salad for less than £4. Tasty.

jumbojak

When was your brake fluid last changed? That's often a contributing factor in sticking caliper pistons. Corrosion on the piston catches the square cut seal.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on June 05, 2018, 02:31:34 PM
When was your brake fluid last changed? That's often a contributing factor in sticking caliper pistons. Corrosion on the piston catches the square cut seal.
It's the rear cylinder brakes, front discs are OK on the dynamometer.  Fluid changed about 2000 miles ago, at 30k mile service. Thst was about 2.5 years ago.

Still reckon I am too light on the pedal! I well know things get stiff if you don't exercise them (well, most things), and wear out if you exercise them too hard, too much.

Arturo

I am going to make a video on how to deal with anger. There are several methods I've seen today but this is going to be a approach I learned from martial arts and how it still applies to my life today.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱