News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 02, 2018, 02:57:19 PM
I cannibalized a card from my kindle. Took me more than a few minutes to get the thing turned on and an embarrassingly long time to fit the lens...

Yeah, all them bells and whistles and buttons. But I am sure you will get the hsng of it, JJ, and grown to appreciate it.

If you feel you need a book I can recomend David Busch's field guides - if he does on for your model.

Enjoy!

Later: on second thoughts unless you are rich forget that book!

Why do people ask prices like £1243.42 for a little book, no matter how good it is. It might be out of print or rarish but there are "For Dummies" versions somewhat cheaper! Seen similar prices - especially with American sellers - for quite ordinary books before. The one for my D5100 cost about £16 IIRC.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I have a few books now. Going through those and a few videos on youtube.

Now, for a reason to be grumpy. Three of our four ferries are out of service. The Pocahontas can carry 75 cars, the Williamsburg and Surry can each carry 50. The only boat left running is the Virginia, which was built in 1936 and can carry 20 cars.  >:(

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

I went out of my mind yesterday and began to prune the numerous Lady Palms that occupy a section of my yard.  Those are pretty but ambitious plants/trees that will send roots out away from the tree and part of the root will surface as an outcropping that rises straight up out of the ground. The "risers' may be as much as an inch in diameter and they hide in the grass in such a way as to make toe breaking obstructions an unwelcome reality.   

I was determined to eliminate some of the several hazards to toes.  I used some large lopping shears to reach down into the ground and clip off the risers. In my enthusiasm I forgot that the Telephone, Television, and internet  cable was buried only a few inches underground.  Wouldn't you know it?  Sure as hell, I clipped the cable somewhere along its shallow underground line and all three of my electronic thingies died.  No TV, no land line telephone, no Icarus at HAF.   Friend wife was quite inconvenienced because she is a power E-Bay seller who needs the internet to respond to her orders.  She typically ships ten to fifteen items per day and she is famous for prompt, honest, and courteous shipping. With the internet down she was dead in the water and anxious about her 100% rating.  Fortunately the service provider sent a tech guy to repair the damage within 24 hours.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on May 04, 2018, 10:55:17 PM
I went out of my mind yesterday and began to prune the numerous Lady Palms that occupy a section of my yard.  Those are pretty but ambitious plants/trees that will send roots out away from the tree and part of the root will surface as an outcropping that rises straight up out of the ground. The "risers' may be as much as an inch in diameter and they hide in the grass in such a way as to make toe breaking obstructions an unwelcome reality.   

I was determined to eliminate some of the several hazards to toes.  I used some large lopping shears to reach down into the ground and clip off the risers. In my enthusiasm I forgot that the Telephone, Television, and internet  cable was buried only a few inches underground.  Wouldn't you know it?  Sure as hell, I clipped the cable somewhere along its shallow underground line and all three of my electronic thingies died.  No TV, no land line telephone, no Icarus at HAF.   Friend wife was quite inconvenienced because she is a power E-Bay seller who needs the internet to respond to her orders.  She typically ships ten to fifteen items per day and she is famous for prompt, honest, and courteous shipping. With the internet down she was dead in the water and anxious about her 100% rating.  Fortunately the service provider sent a tech guy to repair the damage within 24 hours.

Welcome back! Being incommunicado is a terrible thing.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 03, 2018, 02:53:56 AM
I have a few books now. Going through those and a few videos on youtube.

Now, for a reason to be grumpy. Three of our four ferries are out of service. The Pocahontas can carry 75 cars, the Williamsburg and Surry can each carry 50. The only boat left running is the Virginia, which was built in 1936 and can carry 20 cars.  >:(

Oh dear.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Oh I bet you felt a right prune!! :rofl:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Arturo

Nice. That is some prompt service.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

A few years ago I regularly walked to the supermarket, Saturday or Sunday mornings, passing the local church. Regukarly I would find tge pavement outside the church blocked by parked cars. Even the dropped curb, the crossing place for invalid scooters and blind people, was frequently blocked. After several complaints to the diocese and police it took a few months to get the problem fixed.

Then, due to reduced mobility, I used my car for three or four years. Yesterday I walked again and, guess what, found a car parked right across the dropped curb. Photograph taken. Rather pointed email sent to diocesean office suggesting that such thoughtlessness for others was hardly a good example of "Christian" behaviour.

I await a reply with interest.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on May 07, 2018, 08:51:10 AM
A few years ago I regularly walked to the supermarket, Saturday or Sunday mornings, passing the local church. Regukarly I would find tge pavement outside the church blocked by parked cars. Even the dropped curb, the crossing place for invalid scooters and blind people, was frequently blocked. After several complaints to the diocese and police it took a few months to get the problem fixed.

Then, due to reduced mobility, I used my car for three or four years. Yesterday I walked again and, guess what, found a car parked right across the dropped curb. Photograph taken. Rather pointed email sent to diocesean office suggesting that such thoughtlessness for others was hardly a good example of "Christian" behaviour.

I await a reply with interest.
:rofl:

jumbojak

Second time in a month I've punched a cow that got out of hand. I think I might've really injured myself this time though. If I don't figure out a way not to have that reaction I might not have use of my hands much longer.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

JJ pretend to be Irish and always carry a large stick.   Or pretend to be Chinese  and practice with the Bo of the Kung Fu variety.  AIn't no cow gonna mess with you in either of those eventualities.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 08, 2018, 12:30:54 AM
Second time in a month I've punched a cow that got out of hand. I think I might've really injured myself this time though. If I don't figure out a way not to have that reaction I might not have use of my hands much longer.
What do you think a cattle prod is for? :D

jumbojak

A stick is helpful for managing cows, but we're trying to get these heifers a bit more relaxed around humans. They still have a ways to go but are much better than they were. Now at least they don't kick.

Prods just stress the animal too much. They can make certain tasks easier, like loading into trailers, but regular use wi) result in a neurotic, dangerous animal that doesn't respond to anything but the prod. We had a few that I destroyed so nobody could use them. Funny how clipped wires can render electronics useless...

Dave

I worked at an snimal centre for a while, we had to out all the critters away evey night because of foxes.

The two problems were the peacocks and the maras. The mara is the second largest in the cavy (guinea pig) family - bit like a cross between a small deer and a large rabbit and filling both environmrntal niches in S America. Neither of these liked to be shut up for the night so would get stroppy.

I found that a pair of five foot canes with rags tied to the ends worked wonders. If a critter looked like it was going to break to the right a right a step in that direction and raising the right cane put them off.  Both held out and slightly forward made them walk straight ahead. Waving them about a bit or tapping the ground, not too  aggressively, also helped.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 08, 2018, 02:36:58 PM
A stick is helpful for managing cows, but we're trying to get these heifers a bit more relaxed around humans. They still have a ways to go but are much better than they were. Now at least they don't kick.

Prods just stress the animal too much. They can make certain tasks easier, like loading into trailers, but regular use wi) result in a neurotic, dangerous animal that doesn't respond to anything but the prod. We had a few that I destroyed so nobody could use them. Funny how clipped wires can render electronics useless...
Good points.