News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Velma on November 27, 2017, 08:20:06 PM
We are at the emergency room. My husband has the flu. I have not had my flu shot yet since I had a cold when the shots were being given at work.
I hope all goes well.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Thank you. He will be admitted as soon as they have an empty bed.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

I hope it he gets better soon, Velma!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Velma

Thanks. He finally got into a room about an hour and a half ago. I helped him get settled then came home. The only good thing about having the flu is that he gets a private room.

I've put some clothes in the washer, fed the cats, and am preheating the oven. I was too tired to stop to pick up anything to eat, so I'm about to put a frozen pizza in the oven. I'll have to take off work tomorrow. My doctor's appointment has been rescheduled for the second time. Now I have to decide if I want to take off work for part of Wednesday for my doctor's appointment.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Hope his recovery is swift - and that you remain flu free.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

So...there's a Catholic church on the same block as my house and today's Sunday which means lots of bells and singing. Someone was speaking on a loudspeaker and fireworks were being blasted too. :grrr:

Thing is, I really like to sleep in on Sunday mornings, up to 10 am if allowed, but today around the unholy hour of 8 they started their ...erm, production, with some idiot testing a loudspeaker for a good 10 minutes. IT'S WORKING DAMMIT! THE WHOLE BLOCK CAN HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!  :Gaah: There should be a freakin' law against noise pollution by churches on Sundays, they don't allow loud music after certain hours at night, why on Earth should they allow loud bells to chime, churchgoers to sing off-key at full capacity and fireworks (don't get me started on the fireworks).

*deep breath*

I'm thinking if there is a god, maybe he or she is embarrassed by these displays. And if there was an intelligent designer who requires worship like we need air, then why couldn't he or she have designed better singers?! 

Icarus

Tank

FuckinexahustfuckinBANGfukityfuckityfuckity!!!Timeandmoneyfuckityfuckityfuckity!!!Cars!!!FUCKITYFUCKITYFUCKITY!!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on December 04, 2017, 06:45:46 AM
FuckinexahustfuckinBANGfukityfuckityfuckity!!!Timeandmoneyfuckityfuckityfuckity!!!Cars!!!FUCKITYFUCKITYFUCKITY!!!!
I know, I know!

Mine is dying, too.  >:(

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 04, 2017, 07:38:43 PM
I know, I know!

That's why I don't have one. :grin:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 04, 2017, 07:44:29 PM

I know, I know!

That's my dream...to live in a place where I don't need a car. A place where one can rely on public transportation, or walking and biking to where you need to go.

Hell I would be happy if I could just forgo the car on the weekend. Back when I was drinking there was a pub I used to frequent on the weekends, and one guy who was a regular there lived in a townhouse nearby, and he told me that normally when he came home from work on Friday he didn't touch his car again until Monday morning. As everything was in walking distance, the bars and pubs, coffee shops, restaurants, grocery and market stores.

I envied the hell out of him.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on December 05, 2017, 04:58:10 PM

I know, I know!

That's my dream...to live in a place where I don't need a car. A place where one can rely on public transportation, or walking and biking to where you need to go.

Hell I would be happy if I could just forgo the car on the weekend. Back when I was drinking there was a pub I used to frequent on the weekends, and one guy who was a regular there lived in a townhouse nearby, and he told me that normally when he came home from work on Friday he didn't touch his car again until Monday morning. As everything was in walking distance, the bars and pubs, coffee shops, restaurants, grocery and market stores.

Yeah, cars are one of those dual value things, both positive and negative. I was bothered about getting my licence back but I have a bus every 12 minutes to the main store, resturants, pubs and town. On a good day I can even walk to the store, the pharmacy, the pub, a couple or three restaurants . . .

Yet, sigh, I still want the option of collecting heavy stuff despite the fact that, in a year, paying for delivery would probably be cheaper than running a car. Then I have a few carless friends, livinh further ftom the bus route, who, being aged like me, can't walk far and I visit or go for neals out with them.

Dammit, keep the car for as long as possible, being older and with restricted mobility is a bummer! Maybe I will buy one of these one day:

(When I have somewhere to keep it safe and undercover - that's over four grand's worth of wheels!)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on December 05, 2017, 04:58:10 PM

I know, I know!

Yeah, living in a neighbourhood with almost everything located nearby has its perks. When I do need a car I borrow. :grin: Perfect!

Icarus

There is something going around about the need or desire for cars.  Many generation Z types are surprisingly indifferent about owning a car. My 19 year old grandson does not even have a drivers license despite the fact that he was obliged to take drivers ed in high school. He has no desire to own a car and many of his peers are equally indifferent.

Back in the day, high schoolers highest ambition was to get a drivers license and then get a car of some sort.

I have gotten so old that my insurance premiums have become prohibitively expensive.   After 70 years of driving with never even a fender bender, never a DUi ticket or any other reason for my insurance company to punish me. I still have 20/20 corrected vision, no cataracts, my reaction time to situations is not bad, and above all my extensive driving experience is an asset that younger drivers can not yet enjoy. 

The miserable actuarial tables make me a high risk despite my stellar record.  I would dispose of my car and my license and my damned insurance except that my little sail boat is on a trailer.  I know how to skillfully  back into a launching site and my wife, who is younger is not so skilled at trailer work. Besides I like to go to the grocery store or the library whenever I damned well please and that involves driving.

jumbojak

Just wait until self driving trucks hit the road Icarus. It can take you to the ramp, drop the boat off and pick you up ten miles down the road at the appointed time. Now that's a scary thought, isn't it? Trucks towing trailers with nobody in the driver's seat. Or at least nobody who's paying attention.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz