News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I'll take first world problems any day over what this shit hole of a country will become for the next 20 years.

The Senate just approved a Proposed amendment to the constitution that effectively freezes public spending for the next 20 years, which means that advancements in the social sphere will be undone. The middle class which had grown tremendously in the past 16 years, who effectively support this country, will shrink.

I'm not an economist but what these shithead politicians are doing makes no sense to me.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

I'm no historical linguist but I think politician is a Latin word that roughly  translates to: Didn't think we could fuck it up even more did you, guess again.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on December 13, 2016, 11:39:30 PM
I'm no historical linguist but I think politician is a Latin word that roughly  translates to: Didn't think we could fuck it up even more did you, guess again.

If it isn't then it should be. :lol:

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 13, 2016, 10:52:05 PM
I'll take first world problems any day over what this shit hole of a country will become for the next 20 years.

The Senate just approved a Proposed amendment to the constitution that effectively freezes public spending for the next 20 years, which means that advancements in the social sphere will be undone. The middle class which had grown tremendously in the past 16 years, who effectively support this country, will shrink.

I'm not an economist but what these shithead politicians are doing makes no sense to me.   

Does there have to be a plebiscite, referendum or what ever where the people are polled on the particular issue?
It's not easy very difficult to get a change to the constitution here.
If it's not difficult the next government might just change it back.

I imagine Brazil benefited greatly from the high resource prices that resulted from China's industrialisation.  It was a long boom, good times.  Why is it when you're in a boom you think it's the new norm, good numbers are due to your efforts.  Spend and commit because things are good.

I don't know what your politicians are doing.
When money was rolling in they were no doubt buying voter favour and hopefully doing some good.
If there's less money coming in what expenditure should they cut?

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 15, 2016, 11:35:20 AM
Does there have to be a plebiscite, referendum or what ever where the people are polled on the particular issue?

A referendum? But then that would mean that democracy matters, which is not the case with the current illegitimate government with the corrupt Michel Temer at its head. If it did then he wouldn't be there now.

They're clearly there to leach off public resources and protect their own interests, not the interests of the country or its people. The whole system is corrupt, not just most politicians, it's a structural thing going way back.

I don't believe that people should be polled on socioeconomic measures and packages, especially when such measures are truly necessary and go against the inclinations of most, but I think they have to make sense. This amendment just doesn't to me.

QuoteIt's not easy very difficult to get a change to the constitution here.

They might, though I don't know just how easy that would be. They would need a majority in the Senate and Chamber of Deputies and those don't change - same faces, same career politician shit.

QuoteI imagine Brazil benefited greatly from the high resource prices that resulted from China's industrialisation.  It was a long boom, good times.  Why is it when you're in a boom you think it's the new norm, good numbers are due to your efforts.  Spend and commit because things are good.

Yes, it makes sense that people would behave that way. Freakin' bubbles.

QuoteI don't know what your politicians are doing.
When money was rolling in they were no doubt buying voter favour and hopefully doing some good.

They're stealing loads, that's what they're doing. Selling favours, sending money to offshore accounts, and just generally wading in it.

QuoteIf there's less money coming in what expenditure should they cut?

That's a good question. :notsure: In my uneducated opinion they could start by lowering employment taxes, for one. That might stop unemployment rates from constantly going up. Small and large businesses alike are laying off a lot of people because they simple buckle under the weight of employment taxes and extra-salary financial obligations, which are normally as high as an extra 100%. It's crippling.

Second, public servants shouldn't be allowed to retire with full benefits, such as continuing to receive their full salaries at the time of retirement. When the current illegitimate government overthrew the previous one, they increased public servant salaries.  :wtf:

While an unpopular opinion, privatization of public companies does seem to be a viable short-term option to make some money, maybe at least then such companies would be more competently run. The public sphere would lose value in the long run, however. 

Freakin' create some value. Invest in something that works. It's like creativity and government are antagonistic concepts. I don't know, offer more support to start-ups and businesses, not more taxes that effectively strangle them.     

Speaking of creating value, they should invest in education, not consider it the first thing that needs to have spending cut. The Brazilian population are not as productive as they could be also because they lack the education. Maybe when people are considered to be the potential resources that they are, things will get better.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2016, 01:10:39 AM

A referendum? But then that would mean that democracy matters, which is not the case with the current illegitimate government with the corrupt Michel Temer at its head. If it did then he wouldn't be there now.

They're clearly there to leach off public resources and protect their own interests, not the interests of the country or its people. The whole system is corrupt, not just most politicians, it's a structural thing going way back.

That  saddens me, really. [trite platitude 1], I've always thought [trite platitude 2] you just need to [trite platitude 3].

I don't believe that people should be polled on socioeconomic measures and packages, especially when such measures are truly necessary and go against the inclinations of most, but I think they have to make sense. This amendment just doesn't to me.
That's the problem with democracy, people don't know what's good for them.
To change a constitution approval by all levels of government and approval by the people via a poll is the way some do it.

Quote from: puddingIt's not easy very difficult to get a change to the constitution here.
Quote from: phinx

They might, though I don't know just how easy that would be. They would need a majority in the Senate and Chamber of Deputies and those don't change - same faces, same career politician shit.
Um errr, what's the use of voting then? I didn't ask that. [trite platitude EXTRA]
They're stealing loads, that's what they're doing. Selling favours, sending money to offshore accounts, and just generally wading in it.
Is it possible you could get in with the pillagers and grab a bit for yourself?

Quote from: omniLIKEABLEpuddingIf there's less money coming in what expenditure should they cut?
That's a good question. :notsure: In my uneducated opinion they could start by lowering employment taxes, for one. That might stop unemployment rates from constantly going up. Small and large businesses alike are laying off a lot of people because they simple buckle under the weight of employment taxes and extra-salary financial obligations, which are normally as high as an extra 100%. It's crippling.

Second, public servants shouldn't be allowed to retire with full benefits, such as continuing to receive their full salaries at the time of retirement. When the current illegitimate government overthrew the previous one, they increased public servant salaries.  :wtf:
I admire that one, to legitamise the illegitamite you pay the legitamisers.

While an unpopular opinion, privatization of public companies does seem to be a viable short-term option to make some money, maybe at least then such companies would be more competently run. The public sphere would lose value in the long run, however. 
There'll be buyers for the what makes money, a desperate sale so you won't get what it's worth  and you loose the income stream.
Freakin' create some value. Invest in something that works. It's like creativity and government are antagonistic concepts. I don't know, offer more support to start-ups and businesses, not more taxes that effectively strangle them.     

That's an increase spending reduce collection paragraph, if only I had faith...

Speaking of creating value, they should invest in education, not consider it the first thing that needs to have spending cut. The Brazilian population are not as productive as they could be also because they lack the education. Maybe when people are considered to be the potential resources that they are, things will get better
Ye maybe.

Bad Penny II

The portrayal of artifical sentience.
they seek humaness,  it's the tops
I don't think they will and it isn't.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 16, 2016, 12:56:24 PM

That  saddens me, really. [trite platitude 1], I've always thought [trite platitude 2] you just need to [trite platitude 3].

To change a constitution approval by all levels of government and approval by the people via a poll is the way some do it.

Quote from: puddingIt's not easy very difficult to get a change to the constitution here.

Um errr, what's the use of voting then? I didn't ask that. [trite platitude EXTRA]

Quote from: omniLIKEABLEpuddingIf there's less money coming in what expenditure should they cut?

There'll be buyers for the what makes money, a desperate sale so you won't get what it's worth  and you loose the income stream.

Speaking of creating value, they should invest in education, not consider it the first thing that needs to have spending cut. The Brazilian population are not as productive as they could be also because they lack the education. Maybe when people are considered to be the potential resources that they are, things will get better
Ye maybe.

Sorry for long rant :P

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2016, 02:16:38 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 16, 2016, 12:56:24 PM

Ye maybe.

Sorry for long rant :P

Thanks for long rant

Icarus

xSP not too long ago Brazil was an emerging nation ready to challenge the other well developed nations of the world.  You were productive, inventive, and economically on the road to a substantial position on the world scene. Brazil was much more than a famous rain forest, you had front runners like your Embraer (sp)  airplane factory, substantial manufacturing in the automotive field, world agricultural presence, You managed to pull off the Olympic games rather well. and much more.

Wha Happen?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on December 17, 2016, 02:14:34 AM
xSP not too long ago Brazil was an emerging nation ready to challenge the other well developed nations of the world.  You were productive, inventive, and economically on the road to a substantial position on the world scene. Brazil was much more than a famous rain forest, you had front runners like your Embraer (sp)  airplane factory, substantial manufacturing in the automotive field, world agricultural presence, You managed to pull off the Olympic games rather well. and much more.

Wha Happen?

I have no idea :(

Brazil, like most other countries, isn't an isolated system. When a lot of your economy is focused on exportation and the rest of the world is in crisis it makes things all that more difficult.  :shrug:

Arturo

Damn gubmint is messing me up. For one, it hasn't paid a doctor I go to because they will not take me off medicare and just let me stick with medicaid. (I live poor). They keep saying the state is paying for everything, but really they're not. And that my payee has to be the one to make changes.

And two, the IRS office hasn't sent me my form I asked for, for my community college so they can give me the money I need to pay them. I only have until the end of the year to get this ready and they're all fucking me up.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on December 19, 2016, 04:48:19 AM
Damn gubmint is messing me up. For one, it hasn't paid a doctor I go to because they will not take me off medicare and just let me stick with medicaid. (I live poor). They keep saying the state is paying for everything, but really they're not. And that my payee has to be the one to make changes.

And two, the IRS office hasn't sent me my form I asked for, for my community college so they can give me the money I need to pay them. I only have until the end of the year to get this ready and they're all fucking me up.

Bureaucracy.  ::) I'm convinced that such a thing exists to make things less efficient.

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2016, 11:41:15 PM
Quote from: Apathy on December 19, 2016, 04:48:19 AM

Bureaucracy.  ::) I'm convinced that such a thing exists to make things less efficient.

The IRS is horribly underfunded. I may have sent the request form to the wrong office because they have so many different forms that go to so many different offices. So I got confused and sent it to the wrong office, and that office never called me to tell me that. I also can't call them because they don't list the phone number for the office I sent it to.

Just as well, I could do it online if their website service didn't have a problem every time I try to get the information.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱