News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Had an argument with some people who had a position on Hillary, and those who voted for her. "Those who voted for Hillary are ignorant" And I took the position that I don't see any reason to dislike Hillary but I see many reasons to dislike Trump.

I asked them to defend their position with evidence, which they did not. So I told them: how can they not have evidence for their claims yet speak that other people are ignorant? Some more things were said and it degraded to insulting how I spend my free time to say I don't know how to use science. As if how I spend my time has anything to do with how well I use the scientific method, or how well I research mine or anyone else's claims.

tl;dr So all in all, I'm just mad because my personal traits were insulted because I wanted to make an argument.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2016, 12:32:17 PM
My main computer just shut down, just like that. 

oh no :sadshake: do you know what needs to be repaired?
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Quote from: Apathy on November 12, 2016, 09:56:05 PM

Depends on whether or not that one is a ground floor window, no..?  ;)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on November 13, 2016, 01:05:45 AM

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on November 12, 2016, 09:53:06 PM
Had an argument with some people who had a position on Hillary, and those who voted for her. "Those who voted for Hillary are ignorant" And I took the position that I don't see any reason to dislike Hillary but I see many reasons to dislike Trump.

I asked them to defend their position with evidence, which they did not. So I told them: how can they not have evidence for their claims yet speak that other people are ignorant? Some more things were said and it degraded to insulting how I spend my free time to say I don't know how to use science. As if how I spend my time has anything to do with how well I use the scientific method, or how well I research mine or anyone else's claims.

tl;dr So all in all, I'm just mad because my personal traits were insulted because I wanted to make an argument.

Personally attacking people in an argument, and other fallacies, is what weak people resort to when they can't defend their points, or when their points can't stand up to scrutiny. It's annoying as hell. It's just so much easier to spew ad hominems.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I have no idea, I don't know if it's a hard or software problem.

When I bought my computer it was pretty high end, but that was back in 2012 so now it's likely a piece of crap. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on November 13, 2016, 01:05:45 AM

:lol:

:P

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 13, 2016, 10:10:40 AM
Quote from: Apathy on November 12, 2016, 09:53:06 PM

Personally attacking people in an argument, and other fallacies, is what weak people resort to when they can't defend their points, or when their points can't stand up to scrutiny. It's annoying as hell. It's just so much easier to spew ad hominems.

Yes I admit I did so as well, but it was only after they showed me that I was correct repeated times. I was just asking for their sources on the claims about Hillary Clinton and that's when they resorted to ad hominems.

The fact that brings me joy is I made them so mad that they started making insults that were completely contradicting to what they knew I was doing. But they were so backed into a corner they didn't know what else to do.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on November 13, 2016, 05:04:25 PM
Yes I admit I did so as well, but it was only after they showed me that I was correct repeated times. I was just asking for their sources on the claims about Hillary Clinton and that's when they resorted to ad hominems.

The fact that brings me joy is I made them so mad that they started making insults that were completely contradicting to what they knew I was doing. But they were so backed into a corner they didn't know what else to do.

:P

Icarus

I have also had some exchanges about the extent of Hillarys' "criminal activity".  No doubt she has made some boo-boos but the people who want to lock her up can not cite even one verifiable instance of criminal activity. Those people tend to stammer when demanded to produce evidence that can withstand scrutiny.  I do not see any sense in pressing the matter with them.  The reason for just letting it go lies in this old mini bite of wisdom: A man (or woman)  convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Velma

Quote from: Icarus on November 13, 2016, 06:41:29 PM
I have also had some exchanges about the extent of Hillarys' "criminal activity".  No doubt she has made some boo-boos but the people who want to lock her up can not cite even one verifiable instance of criminal activity. Those people tend to stammer when demanded to produce evidence that can withstand scrutiny.  I do not see any sense in pressing the matter with them.  The reason for just letting it go lies in this old mini bite of wisdom: A man (or woman)  convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
I kept running into the same thing. A myriad of assertions that she's a criminal, but nothing to back it up with. Politifact rates her as more truthful than Bernie Sanders; while in the Senate she and Bernie voted identically over 95% of the time; people who have worked with her for years say she is a kind, caring, and genuinely warm person; people who have read the emails say there is nothing there. Facts meant little because where there was smoke, there just had to be fire. That wasn't smoke, it was steam coming off the heads of those who had been trying for years to find her guilty of something, but unable to do so.

If people had used any portion of their brains, the fact that Comey couldn't come up with anything to charge her with, especially after showing his true colors, should have proved that there was nothing to any of it. It seems fairly obvious that if he'd had anything, anything at all, that he could have charged her with, he would have been crowing to the heavens and been notifying every news organization on the planet.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 13, 2016, 10:13:08 AM

I have no idea, I don't know if it's a hard or software problem.

When I bought my computer it was pretty high end, but that was back in 2012 so now it's likely a piece of crap.

My computer is 2008 and it used to tell me what parts needed replacement. They haven't been replaced yet but your problem is similar to mine so I think your computer just needs a piece of hardware that needs replacement.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Velma, is it possible that both of us....along with millions of others have been snookered by that clever and diabolical woman?  I don't think so. The most puzzling part of the whole deal is why so many people dislike her so vehemently. Hillary might not have been my number one candidate but I definitely want to see a female president before I go to meet Jesus.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on November 15, 2016, 01:32:20 AM
Velma, is it possible that both of us....along with millions of others have been snookered by that clever and diabolical woman?  I don't think so. The most puzzling part of the whole deal is why so many people dislike her so vehemently. Hillary might not have been my number one candidate but I definitely want to see a female president before I go to meet Jesus.

One theory I read was that some people thought she should not have alllowed Bill to get away with his indiscretions so easily. If she'd booted him out, I don't think she'd have had a look-in for the nomination. Others said she spoke only to her peer group but I don't think that's quite accurate either.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Harmonie

And then others claimed she is a Satanist.

I kid you not, I just saw Trump supporters claiming this.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony