Main Menu

Lying to Children

Started by Crow, July 04, 2012, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Dobermonster on July 04, 2012, 11:11:40 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 04, 2012, 11:02:35 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 10:40:22 PM
A lot of people seem to think the santa/tooth fairy thing is so harmless, but why is lying to children okay?

Won't they be fine living their lives without being lied to?

We should stop thinking it's alright to make things up and hold them as reality. A child is a lot smarter than we think, just with a slightly less ability to perceive logic and reason. I really don't think that not having santa and other childhood lies in one's life will someone lessen the magical innocence of a childhood. I would of respected my parents far far more if they had not lied to me. My mother did the whole santa thing, but my father was totally against it. I appreciate that much from him.
There is more of a gap between children's cognitive development and those of adults than you imply. Telling lies to children may often be a good idea to insulate them fom realities that they are not equipped to deal with.
Honesty tends anyway to be rather over- rated and too often is used as a justification by people who  lack social intelligence or just want to inflict hurt on others.

What would you use as an example of telling a beneficial lie to a child?

That you're sending their dog to a "farm."
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 05, 2012, 02:40:40 AM
...To be turned into sausage. The kid would be scarred for life.  :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on July 04, 2012, 11:17:57 PM
(like Asmo, for example)
The Asmo can appreciate some nicely done abstract art.  8)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 05, 2012, 02:40:40 AM
Quote from: Dobermonster on July 04, 2012, 11:11:40 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 04, 2012, 11:02:35 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 10:40:22 PM
A lot of people seem to think the santa/tooth fairy thing is so harmless, but why is lying to children okay?

Won't they be fine living their lives without being lied to?

We should stop thinking it's alright to make things up and hold them as reality. A child is a lot smarter than we think, just with a slightly less ability to perceive logic and reason. I really don't think that not having santa and other childhood lies in one's life will someone lessen the magical innocence of a childhood. I would of respected my parents far far more if they had not lied to me. My mother did the whole santa thing, but my father was totally against it. I appreciate that much from him.
There is more of a gap between children's cognitive development and those of adults than you imply. Telling lies to children may often be a good idea to insulate them fom realities that they are not equipped to deal with.
Honesty tends anyway to be rather over- rated and too often is used as a justification by people who  lack social intelligence or just want to inflict hurt on others.

What would you use as an example of telling a beneficial lie to a child?

Yeah, that's aweful. Kid should learn what death is sooner or later.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Dobermonster on July 05, 2012, 12:42:46 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 11:45:31 PM
Quote from: Dobermonster on July 04, 2012, 11:24:47 PM
I guess that easy, lol. Already thought of another - "Sweetie, daddy and I were just playing wheelbarrow . . . "

So we have lies to encourage and to protect . . . should there always be a reason to lie? Is entertainment enough?

There's nothing wrong with explaining sex to people. I guess some people feel embarrassed. I never knew why. Sex is natural with consent.

There's nothing *wrong* with it, but maybe it's better to tell a three year old that mommy and daddy were wrestling and avoid a midnight sex-ed class with a toddler who won't really understand the concept anyways.

Not entirely convinced this is the most reassuring of explanations. What about saying mummy and daddy were practising their farmyard imitations?
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on July 05, 2012, 07:51:09 PM
Quote from: Dobermonster on July 05, 2012, 12:42:46 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 11:45:31 PM
Quote from: Dobermonster on July 04, 2012, 11:24:47 PM
I guess that easy, lol. Already thought of another - "Sweetie, daddy and I were just playing wheelbarrow . . . "

So we have lies to encourage and to protect . . . should there always be a reason to lie? Is entertainment enough?

There's nothing wrong with explaining sex to people. I guess some people feel embarrassed. I never knew why. Sex is natural with consent.

There's nothing *wrong* with it, but maybe it's better to tell a three year old that mommy and daddy were wrestling and avoid a midnight sex-ed class with a toddler who won't really understand the concept anyways.

Not entirely convinced this is the most reassuring of explanations. What about saying mummy and daddy were practising their farmyard imitations?

Hahahahahaha.  "Don't worry, honey.  Daddy is just pinning mommy down and doing something violent to her.  No sex here!"

OldGit

Quote from: BuddyThat you're sending their dog to a "farm."

IRL my father did that to me when I was about 8.  I didn't believe the bastard, I knew damn well he took my Toby off somewhere and shot him.  I never really forgot it.

Ali

Why would he shoot Toby? :'(

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on July 05, 2012, 08:59:39 PM

IRL my father did that to me when I was about 8.  I didn't believe the bastard, I knew damn well he took my Toby off somewhere and shot him.  I never really forgot it.

When we have to put either one of our cats down, wee man will be told what's going to happen and will be given the option of coming along. When I worked at the vet clinic, I saw a number of children say good-bye to their pets. Some of them handled it better than their parents. Our oldest cat is only 6, so it'll be a while yet, but I wouldn't lie to him about this either, I don't think.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 05, 2012, 10:12:47 PM

When we have to put either one of our cats down, wee man will be told what's going to happen and will be given the option of coming along. When I worked at the vet clinic, I saw a number of children say good-bye to their pets. Some of them handled it better than their parents. Our oldest cat is only 6, so it'll be a while yet, but I wouldn't lie to him about this either, I don't think.

I know children are children, but they should be taken a bit more seriously with their feelings and not 'shielded' so much from reality.
Don't get me wrong, i don't think we should shove everything horrible in their face, but i lost a lot of pets as a child, and i am thankful my mom always let me know they were dying or sick so i could say goodbye.

I miss them all dearly, but i am sooo happy i got to have that closure.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

OldGit

Quote from: AliWhy would he shoot Toby? :'(

Stated reason: the dog was out of control and kept running into the road and might involve us in a lawsuit.

Real reason: to hurt me, as usual.

The dog was young and healthy.

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on July 06, 2012, 10:19:40 AM
Real reason: to hurt me, as usual.
Has FSM refused to hear your pleas for vengeance? Because The Asmo could listen... For a price  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Same with my brother's dog Angus. He was mean though. Still hurts because I believed that he went to a farm until I found out what it really meant a few weeks ago. ;-;
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

Quote from: AsmoHas FSM refused to hear your pleas for vengeance? Because The Asmo could listen... For a price  ;D

How much?  :-\