News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Newfie Newbie!!

Started by analyzedatheist, July 04, 2012, 12:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

analyzedatheist

Hello all!!

My name is Terry and my internet handle is Analyzed Atheist.  I have been 'active' in the atheist/skeptical community for a few years now and I run a blog over at Tumblr called The Analyzed Atheist.

Link here: Oops missed that rule.

I am from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, and I am dying to find more atheists/skeptics/freethinkers/nonbelievers in my area.  If there are current or former Newfoundlanders in this forum, it would be great if you would join one or both of the Facebook pages we have:

Atheists of Newfoundland - Oops missed that rule.

St. John's Skeptic Society - Oops missed that rule.

Anyways, I am married to a lovely skeptical and atheist lady, and we are very happy atheists together!!  She is not as outspoken on the issue of religion as I am, but I do enough talking for the both of us :P  She backs me up on pretty much everything I say on the topic though, and she wouldn't if she thought I was out of line, believe me.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not the best with forums, and my main reason for joining was to try to find some more non-believers in my area, but I'm gonna do my best to get involved in the community here.

-Terry

EDIT: Sorry I overlooked that rule!! My apologies.

DeterminedJuliet

Ahhhh!! Another Newfie!! ;D 'owshe gettin' on, b'y?!
But seriously, this is a pretty cool little community. I hope you stick around. I'll check out the facebook pages, though, like many other Newfoundlanders, I'm living out of the province at the moment.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

analyzedatheist

Hey Juliet!

That would be great if you would check out the groups.  We're really trying to get some good discussion and banter there.  We do use a lot of humour, but there's plenty of seriousness as well.  I look forward to seeing you there.

Terry

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Terry. I'm impressed that you edited your own post; I think that says a lot for your perspicacity and integrity.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

markmcdaniel

Welcome. I look forward to seeing your posts after your tenth.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Amicale

Heya Terry, welcome from a fellow Canadian (alas, not a Newfie!)

I hope you enjoy HAF! It's a fun place, and you'll definitely find good conversation and community here. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

Hello, Terry! Sounds to me like you'll be an asset here if you stick around.

Tank

Hi Terry

Very impressed with your behaviour so far, editing out your own links like that.

Welcome to HAF  ;D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Hi and welcome Terry!  Hope you stick around, this is a great group!

analyzedatheist

Quote from: Recusant on July 04, 2012, 01:45:01 AM
Hello and welcome to HAF, Terry. I'm impressed that you edited your own post; I think that says a lot for your perspicacity and integrity.

Thanks so much, and thanks to everyone else with their kind words.  I'm not that good with forums, like I said before, like sometimes forgetting to read the rules, but I was lucky enough to catch myself this time.  If I'm going to be posting here regularly, I'm going to have to do some research on formatting forum posts and using HTML...I suck at it!!

Thanks again to everyone, and I think I might do some posts in the suggested threads.

-Terry

Recusant

Quote from: analyzedatheist on July 05, 2012, 01:49:25 AM. . . I'm going to have to do some research on formatting forum posts and using HTML...

HTML actually won't be of any use here. This forum uses phpBB code, which is similar in some cases to HTML, but in others not so much. On the text editing page (what you get by clicking "Reply" or "Quote") you will find that the buttons above the editing box will produce versions of that code that work on this forum. For instance, the button marked with a bold "B" will give [b ][/b ] (without the spaces), which produces bold text. Some experimentation using the "Preview" button should help you familiarize yourself with the workings of the forum code.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Terry you might find this thread useful. http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7473.0
But frankly the only 'tags' you need to understand are the 'quote' tags which is dealt with here http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=203.0
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Hello and welcome Canadian friend! What aboot atheism do you analyze exactly.  Sorry I couldn't resist  ;D
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Sweetdeath

I love me some more Canadians ~  ;)

Welcome, and hope you make 10 posts soon ~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.