News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Let's Discuss Dominionism

Started by MadBomr101, June 30, 2012, 12:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

So who's familiar with the Dominionist movement in America?

Dominionism is a religious movement of extremely conservative and politically active Old Testament driven Xians who want to make the country an exclusively Xian nation.  This would include redefining the secular civil laws of the land and base them instead on the biblical laws found in the OT.  For example, they believe homosexuals should literally be put to death just as the OT advocates in Leviticus.  This is a religious group that wants to take America out of the 21st Century and plunge us back into the heady days of the Inquisition where the church governs based on ancient biblical laws written thousands of years ago in a land on the other side of the world by a culture completely alien to our own and by people who, at that time, were still just seven hairs away from being orangutans.

Remind me, what does the OT say should be done with non-believers?   

I'm not making this up.

Now, these lunatics will never grow large enough or influential enough to impose their psychotic dream on anyone but it's still head-explodingly unbelieveable that people allow themselves to get this f**ked up on religion.  While I'm sure this would initially appeal to the likes of the Tea Party, Fox News, and Sarah Palin, it shouldn't since they seek to impose their faith even on other sects of Xianity that don't exclusively practice what they believe.

Just when you thought Xianity couldn't get any more stupid.  These clowns even make the Mormons and the Scientologists seem reasonable.

On the bright side, this could be what brings atheists and the faithful together - a common enemy.

Discuss.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

xSilverPhinx

Nothing like a common enemy ;) 'Nuff said.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

That's freakin scary that people like that actually exist.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

It is great news, the more people know about what is written in the bible the better.

People tend to dream up a god in the image of themselves. Hopefully thins kind of knowledge of the bible will help people to stop believing in such rubbish.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MadBomr101 on June 30, 2012, 12:51:39 AM

I'm familiar with it but I can't discuss it because just reading the title of this thread made me throw up in my mouth a little.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

It sounds to me that they are a Xtian branch of the Taliban.

markmcdaniel

These people would bring back the Spanish version of the Inquisition. No main stream version of Christianity could be orthodox enough. They are just plain scary.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

MadBomr101

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 30, 2012, 07:59:05 AM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on June 30, 2012, 12:51:39 AM

I'm familiar with it but I can't discuss it because just reading the title of this thread made me throw up in my mouth a little.

I assure you that wasn't my intention although I can understand the reaction.  Imagine how I felt writing it.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

MadBomr101

Quote from: OldGit on June 30, 2012, 09:17:23 AMIt sounds to me that they are a Xtian branch of the Taliban.

Never thought of it that way but now that you mention it, yeah.
- Bomr

MadBomr101

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 01, 2012, 10:34:51 AMThese people would bring back the Spanish version of the Inquisition. No main stream version of Christianity could be orthodox enough. They are just plain scary.

I never expected the Spanish Inquisition.

Let's see if anyone picks up on this.
- Bomr

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MadBomr101 on July 02, 2012, 01:38:39 AM
Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 01, 2012, 10:34:51 AMThese people would bring back the Spanish version of the Inquisition. No main stream version of Christianity could be orthodox enough. They are just plain scary.

No expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

MadBomr101

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 02, 2012, 03:12:16 AM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on July 02, 2012, 01:38:39 AM

No (one) expects the Spanish Inquisition!

;D
- Bomr

OldGit

markmcdaniel

These people are the best advertisement for the first amendment that I have ever run across.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

MadBomr101

Quote from: OldGit on July 02, 2012, 09:28:10 AM
Anybody fancy a gif of that?

Very nice but I'll go ya one better - The Actual Spanish Inquisition

I can't believe this, I've hijacked my own thread. :o
- Bomr