News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Where Are The Good Christians?

Started by MadBomr101, June 22, 2012, 03:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

Xians, how do you feel about people like this who represent your faith and to what degree do you share their beliefs? - "Where Are The Good Christians?"

I was disappointed not to see Fred Phelps named in this article.  He's the Grand Old Man of hateful Xians.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Ali

"HOMO SEX IS A SIN" says the dude dressed up like Hulk Hogan.  Well that cans it.  Color me convinced. (Yes, I know this is an ad hominem attack.  I just didn't feel like it warranted a real answer other than "Word.  Where are the good Christians?")

AnimatedDirt

The Christian "moral code" should not be legislated upon secular society.  This is the result of trying to do so.

Ali

Oh, there one (a good Christian) is now!  Hi AD!

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on June 22, 2012, 09:28:45 PM

Hi Ali.  :)  Good Christian is relative.  I know what I should do and I want to do that which I should...but most of the time I fail...if not all of the time.  That's the nature of Christianity this side of life.

MadBomr101

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 22, 2012, 09:50:28 PM
Quote from: Ali on June 22, 2012, 09:28:45 PM

Hi Ali.  :)  Good Christian is relative.  I know what I should do and I want to do that which I should...but most of the time I fail...if not all of the time.  That's the nature of Christianity this side of life.

And your take on some of your more outspoken brethren as outlined in the article? Are they Xians or, like the more militant Islamists, have they completely perverted the faith they practice into an agenda of hate and intolerance if not outright murder...yet?

How do you feel about the "Christianity" they practice?
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Ecurb Noselrub

Evangelical Christianity in America, like the Republican Party, has been hijacked by far right wingnuts who want to impose a Christian moral code on everyone.  This is fundamentally contrary to Christianity itself. Christianity is a religion of grace and mercy. You cannot impose a religion of grace and mercy on an unwilling populace by law.  Such would be fundamentally inconsistent with the nature of the faith itself.

The problem with these Christians (and I think they are Christians, just misguided) is that they focus too much on the Old Testament (Old Covenant) and forget that it has been replaced by a New Covenant.  There is only one commandment for Christians under the New Covenant and it has two parts: believe in (trust) Jesus and love one another.  Judging and condemning others has no place in Christianity, much less forcing others to comply with one's concept of Christian morals. 

Ali

And there's another one!  Hi EN!

MadBomr101

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 22, 2012, 10:37:40 PM
Evangelical Christianity in America, like the Republican Party, has been hijacked by far right wingnuts who want to impose a Christian moral code on everyone.  This is fundamentally contrary to Christianity itself. Christianity is a religion of grace and mercy. You cannot impose a religion of grace and mercy on an unwilling populace by law.  Such would be fundamentally inconsistent with the nature of the faith itself.

The problem with these Christians (and I think they are Christians, just misguided) is that they focus too much on the Old Testament (Old Covenant) and forget that it has been replaced by a New Covenant.  There is only one commandment for Christians under the New Covenant and it has two parts: believe in (trust) Jesus and love one another.  Judging and condemning others has no place in Christianity, much less forcing others to comply with one's concept of Christian morals. 

Thank you, Bruce, that's what I would have expected a reasonable Xian to have said.  Now, what about the closing line in the article: "The stakes are clear for mainstream Christian leaders -- as well as other faiths where radicalism is going overboard. Isn't it time to stand up to those who give your religion a bad name?"

These people are irrational, hateful, and out of control.  They need to be stopped.  Who better to call them out on their tyranny than other Xians?  These Jesus-addled lunatics ain't gonna listen to a bunch of atheists.
- Bomr

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MadBomr101 on June 22, 2012, 10:31:16 PM
How do you feel about the "Christianity" they practice?

(and I think they are Christians, just misguided)

Christianity is not about eradicating sin from our lives.  We can't.  It's impossible.  It's about letting God in.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: MadBomr101 on June 22, 2012, 10:59:03 PM

These people are irrational, hateful, and out of control.  They need to be stopped.  Who better to call them out on their tyranny than other Xians?  These Jesus-addled lunatics ain't gonna listen to a bunch of atheists.

Well, we're all doing what we can. I don't have a big audience.  But as the situation arises, I try to call attention to the problem.  We'll see where that goes.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 22, 2012, 11:02:12 PM
Christianity is not about eradicating sin from our lives.  We can't.  It's impossible.  It's about letting God in.

Modern Christians focus too much on the sin issue and not enough on the grace issue.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 23, 2012, 03:36:06 AMModern Christians focus too much on the sin issue and not enough on the grace issue.

Amen.
- Bomr

Sandra Craft

Quote from: from the articleMany Christian leaders will undoubtedly ask themselves the same thing we, Muslims, did: Why should we have to denounce these people who are so radical that we don't even think of them as sharing our faith? Why can't our good work just speak for itself? Not all Christians are like this.

Here is the reason: A recent poll of American college-aged voters found that 65% of them view Christianity as "anti-gay." This is startling. If the loud voices of intolerance from far right Christian leaders go unchecked, will most young Americans begin to think that Christianity is "anti-Muslim," "anti-Mormon," "anti-Catholic" and so on?

And not just young people -- sometimes it's hard for me to remember Xtians aren't all like this, and I do my best to give others the benefit of the doubt.  Begging Bruce and AD's pardon, but neither of them are world leaders of Xtianity whose denouncement of the wingnut faction will be heard or carry any weight beyond their own small circle. 

So where are all the well-known, influencial Xtians stepping forward publicly and saying: "That guy is wrong, and his interpretation of Christ's teachings are wildly misguided and particular to his own extremism.  I, as a (moderate/liberal/whatever) Xtian, believe . . ."  If they're out there and talking to anyone but each other, I've missed it.  Not hearing those voices, it's easy to believe that silence is giving assent.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

I wish more religious people thought this way :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.