News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Rant Thread

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2012, 03:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

technolud

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism No I was just hoping beyond hope.  The truth is that most people either are in the middle, or don't care about politics at all.  I lean left myself, but not very far left. Politicians will lie, steal, and cheat no matter what side they are on.

I have a business associate I talk a lot of politics with.  He's very right, I'm very left, but both of us try to be open to reason.  Time and again we find the we are starting at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock about an issue, but by the time we've hashed out the details we're at 11:30 and 12:30.

I think this is whats missing from politics today.  American politics anyway.

Stevil

Quote from: technolud on June 22, 2012, 01:41:24 AM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism No I was just hoping beyond hope.  The truth is that most people either are in the middle, or don't care about politics at all.  I lean left myself, but not very far left. Politicians will lie, steal, and cheat no matter what side they are on.

I have a business associate I talk a lot of politics with.  He's very right, I'm very left, but both of us try to be open to reason.  Time and again we find the we are starting at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock about an issue, but by the time we've hashed out the details we're at 11:30 and 12:30.

I think this is whats missing from politics today.  American politics anyway.
In MMP system, Mixed Member Proportional, we often get coalition governments, where one party doesn't have enough votes to rule alone.
This means that they must come to compromises in order to pass through policy.

This means a far right or far left party needs to get more centered.
Some of the pitfalls are that a center party can decide whether we have a right or left focused government e.g. Right gets 44% vote, Left gets 46%, Middle party gets 7%, they negotiate with both parties and decide they get a better deal with Right thus they make Right the new government.
This happened many times with us, our government changed from election to election but the Middle party always remained in government.

technolud

Sounds better then the US system where the pols lie about what they stand for before the election so they can get 51% of the vote, then do whatever they please once in office.  I find the actions of the US government is really quite discouraging, both on domestic and international stages.

Do other people feel as negative about thier governments?  Is that the norm?

Does this count as a rant?

OldGit

QuoteDoes this count as a rant?

Seems like a good'un to me!

In the UK we have a wet bunch of idiots for MPs, few of whom have ever had any experience outside the political world.  Something in the spirit of Mao's cultural revolution would be beneficial here  - nobody should be allowed to stand for election until they've done a number of years in an everyday job in manufacturing or service.  Not lecturing on politics in one of the crap new universities.

Details and definitions to be settled, of course.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: technolud on June 22, 2012, 08:40:57 AM
Sounds better then the US system where the pols lie about what they stand for before the election so they can get 51% of the vote, then do whatever they please once in office.  I find the actions of the US government is really quite discouraging, both on domestic and international stages.

Do other people feel as negative about thier governments?  Is that the norm?

Does this count as a rant?
Yes like a logical, well thought out rant.  Yes politicians do whatever they please when they get in office.  G.W. was the first one to pretty much do whatever the hell he wanted. I have actually talked to a poor person who was at a food pantry that claimed she was a republican.  I claimed that anyone who voted for somebody that put them in the position that they are in is an idiot.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on June 22, 2012, 10:25:14 AM
In the UK we have a wet bunch of idiots for MPs, few of whom have ever had any experience outside the political world.  Something in the spirit of Mao's cultural revolution would be beneficial here  - nobody should be allowed to stand for election until they've done a number of years in an everyday job in manufacturing or service.  Not lecturing on politics in one of the crap new universities.

Details and definitions to be settled, of course.

I think The Guardian summed up my feeling towards politicians in an article a few days ago where they wrote "So there we have it, conclusive proof, should we have required it, that this country is being run by an even more insouciant version of Mr Kruger from Seinfeld.", this current lot of conservatives are fucking clueless.
Retired member.

Ecurb Noselrub

Fox News is actually dangerous, IMHO.  People who watch it all the time are perpetually pissed.  It's venomous.  MSNBC is extreme on the other side, but since they got rid of Keith Olbermann it's not as toxic.  Fox is beyond the pale.

Crow

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 29, 2012, 03:57:14 AM
Fox News is actually dangerous, IMHO.  People who watch it all the time are perpetually pissed.  It's venomous.  MSNBC is extreme on the other side, but since they got rid of Keith Olbermann it's not as toxic.  Fox is beyond the pale.

I am so glad we don't receive news feeds like Fox in the UK, I dont think we ever will thankfully. There is one thing good about the Lib Dems this year is that they have gone after Murdoch with full force. I always wondered if he watched the comedy The Day Today and thought to himself "that would be a good format for real news but with American TV sparkle".
Retired member.

Ihateyoumike

Feeling like love is bullshit right now. Everyone forces on you that there's the right one out there for you since you're born, then you find the one (you think), then your emotions override your logic... then you end up the lonely asshole again. Unless you're one of those rare lucky ones that finds someone else who's willing to put in the work and effort to make a relationship work as hard as you do. Three years wasted... and for what??? Better to have loved and lost than not loved at all??? Bullshit!! This point I think I'd rather have just stayed single than put my heart, soul, money, time and everything else into being there for her and her kid only to have her fuck me over and over and over again... and not in the physical form of the word. Use him, take everything, throw him away... Fuck the ones who operate like that. Guess what... I HAVE FUCKING FEELINGS TOO!! Just cause I'm a man doesn't mean I just want to get laid and pay you to do it. Some of us want to be dad's and husbands, and be good at it. Oh she'll pretend she's gonna give me the family that I want... until she stops getting everything she wants, and realizes there's probably more successful men who can support her and her daughter with less effort on her part. Love doesn't pay her bills gentlemen.

Yes. I'm fucking jaded right now.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

DeterminedJuliet

Sounds like a shitty situation :-[ Break-ups suck.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on June 30, 2012, 09:15:10 PM
Yes. I'm fucking jaded right now.

Sounds like you tried to rescue somebody.  That never works out well.  Condolences.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

Conjunctivitis SUCKS!

(If you have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, you are very lucky, and I reserve the right to intently dislike you for a few seconds.)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 30, 2012, 09:29:56 PM

Not breaking up can sometimes suck more.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: En_Route on June 30, 2012, 10:14:42 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 30, 2012, 09:29:56 PM

Not breaking up can sometimes suck more.

Very true.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Guardian85

Sorry about the dame troubles, mikey.

Go find someone with big boobs to rebound with!  ;)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-