News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Told my date...

Started by daddyferrari, June 12, 2012, 03:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyferrari

So, I've been mildly seeing this woman for a few weeks now and last night I got the, "Do you believe in God" question... Oh boy... In the past, I would have been very elusive in my answer, as to not offend or upset the asker of this question.  Last night however, I let it loose! (You've all inspired me somewhat!) 

...Given that I was working on a way to end the relationship, I figured, what the hell, here goes.  She very clearly was upset with my answer about being an Atheist.  She actually had to get up and go outside for a minute, stating "how disappointed she was in my answer".  This from a woman that has 3 kids, all of which fathers are in prison, has been in prison herself (I know, real winner here - hence the reason(s) for ending it)  But she is a strong believer in god...

Now, I will give her credit, she didn't bolt immediately, but she was looking for some action and I think she wanted that before she bailed on me.  Of which, I wasn't apposed to (I am only a man).  So we'll see if she talks to me today or at all again.  I think I'll be ok either way, it's just a funny story and you guys have definitely had an effect on me!  I thank you!

jumbojak

At least you wanted it to end. The last girl I went out with asked the same question and lets just say she wasn't pleased with the answer. We had a nice argument in the middle of the restaurant. Classy...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

daddyferrari

That's really what I expected, but she seemed to be biting her tongue!  Oh well.  We'll see how it goes!

Ali

This is a funny way to end a relationship.  It's not you, it's me.  I'm an atheist.  I'm sorry."   ;D

daddyferrari

Hey, it's an easy way out!  She's seemed to not really mind it too much anyway.  She has said she doesn't like it, but she'll let me know when she's done with me!!   :o   That's what she said!!  So I guess I'll ride it out and be thrown away when done!

kitty

love how christians take want they want from their faith/idea of god/bible....
hahahaha
'i believe in god, but i'd like to shag whoever i like, whenever i like'
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

En_Route

Quote from: kitty on June 14, 2012, 04:23:46 PM
hahahaha
'i believe in god, but i'd like to fuck whoever i like, whenever i like'

I don't believe that the disparity between what people profess and what they do is confined to (some) Christians.There is also evidence that the proposition that Christians are hypocrites is subject to numerous honourable exceptions. 
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

En_Route

Quote from: daddyferrari on June 12, 2012, 03:06:23 PM
So, I've been mildly seeing this woman for a few weeks now and last night I got the, "Do you believe in God" question... Oh boy... In the past, I would have been very elusive in my answer, as to not offend or upset the asker of this question.  Last night however, I let it loose! (You've all inspired me somewhat!) 

...Given that I was working on a way to end the relationship, I figured, what the hell, here goes.  She very clearly was upset with my answer about being an Atheist.  She actually had to get up and go outside for a minute, stating "how disappointed she was in my answer".  This from a woman that has 3 kids, all of which fathers are in prison, has been in prison herself (I know, real winner here - hence the reason(s) for ending it)  But she is a strong believer in god...

Now, I will give her credit, she didn't bolt immediately, but she was looking for some action and I think she wanted that before she bailed on me.  Of which, I wasn't apposed to (I am only a man).  So we'll see if she talks to me today or at all again.  I think I'll be ok either way, it's just a funny story and you guys have definitely had an effect on me!  I thank you!

This is a classic really- all the motivations,contradictions and cross-purposes at play.Hilarious.

Ali

Quote from: daddyferrari on June 12, 2012, 11:18:14 PM
Hey, it's an easy way out!  She's seemed to not really mind it too much anyway.  She has said she doesn't like it, but she'll let me know when she's done with me!!   :o   That's what she said!!  So I guess I'll ride it out and be thrown away when done!

If you don't want to be with her, why don't you just end it?  ???

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 14, 2012, 04:44:28 PM
Quote from: daddyferrari on June 12, 2012, 11:18:14 PM

If you don't want to be with her, why don't you just end it?  ???

The key may lie in the phrase "ride it out".

kitty

Quote from: En_Route on June 14, 2012, 04:37:15 PM
hahahaha

I don't believe that the disparity between what people profess and what they do is confined to (some) Christians.There is also evidence that the proposition that Christians are hypocrites is subject to numerous honourable exceptions. 

both points are very true, but she seems to be using his lack of faith against him, like he's not good enough for her because of what he does/doesnt believe in.
not to go all biblical, but speck of dust vs plank of wood in the eye much.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

En_Route

Quote from: kitty on June 14, 2012, 05:48:14 PM
hahahaha

both points are very true, but she seems to be using his lack of faith against him, like he's not good enough for her because of what he does/doesnt believe in.

An alternative thesis, with all due deference to Mr.Ferrari and his taste in female companions, is that she is off her trolley.

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on June 14, 2012, 05:55:42 PM
Quote from: kitty on June 14, 2012, 05:48:14 PM
hahahaha

An alternative thesis, with all due deference to Mr.Ferrari and his taste in female companions, is that she is off her trolley.

And so is he for refusing to end it before he gets....... something.  Either laid or shanked. 

Rune

Basing a relationship upon religious views isn't a great way to continue a relationship if the one of the members isn't tolerant of the others views but then they're quite the hypocrite...

fester30

My marriage is DEFINITELY not built around religious views, despite my wife's belief in god.  We just don't push anything like that on each other.  It helps that she doesn't belief in the Christian god of the Bible, but more of a god in general that allows good people like her cousin that died at the age of 21 to have a nice afterlife since she seemed so robbed of her chance to live a full life.  It's okay that god let her die if she's in heaven, right?  I just don't thinks he wants to give up that idea.

I could tell you, though, that if she was a regular church goer, especially in one of the fundie denominations so popular around where we live, that could become an issue. 

As for why he would continue seeing her if he didn't see it going anywhere long term... why not?  If you have nothing else going on, there's more to life than just love.  Just dating and hanging out with someone (and, of course, what red-blooded American male wouldn't want to knock boots when given the opportunity to be used for such purpose?) can be a very positive experience, even if there isn't love involved.