News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

For the US/Texan motor sports fans here.

Started by Tank, June 11, 2012, 04:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

The penultimate round of the F1 season is going to be in Austin Texas this year. I have watched F1 since '75 and there has never ever been a more wide open season than this. So far in the 20 race season there have been 7 races and 7 DIFFERENT winners!!! It was a record at 6 and last weekend Lewis Hamilton got his first victory of the season bringing the total to 7. 5 different makes of car have won a race. This is unheard of stuff. If you can get to the Texas Grand Prix you could well see the champion crowned and also witness an all time classic event.

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/united_states_882/circuit_diagram.html
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on June 11, 2012, 04:50:17 PM
The penultimate round of the F1 season is going to be in Austin Texas this year. I have watched F1 since '75 and there has never ever been a more wide open season than this. So far in the 20 race season there have been 7 races and 7 DIFFERENT winners!!! It was a record at 6 and last weekend Lewis Hamilton got his first victory of the season bringing the total to 7. 5 different makes of car have won a race. This is unheard of stuff. If you can get to the Texas Grand Prix you could well see the champion crowned and also witness an all time classic event.

This is right in my back yard and I didn't know about it. Thanks for the info. My son-in-law is big into racing.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 20, 2012, 03:43:53 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 11, 2012, 04:50:17 PM

This is right in my back yard and I didn't know about it. Thanks for the info. My son-in-law is big into racing.

I hope you enjoy it!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Happy_Is_Good

I wish we could.  However, the history of F1 in America suggests that the "Austin Experiment" will be quite futile.

Seriously, F1 has no advantage on NASCAR and this will destroy it here in the States.  

NASCAR is more fan friendly.  NASCAR is less expensive.

As a result, F1 will fail in America - just like it did at Indy.

So....I will go and see F1 during it's third and final year in Texas, and it will be a good deal.

I hope this doesn't bumm you out....

technolud

Did F1 continue running after Prost retired?  Oh yes, that dickweed schumacher drove in it for a while didn't he.

Tank

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on June 22, 2012, 11:57:26 PM
I wish we could.  However, the history of F1 in America suggests that the "Austin Experiment" will be quite futile.

Seriously, F1 has no advantage on NASCAR and this will destroy it here in the States.  

So....I will go and see F1 during it's third and final year in Texas, and it will be a good deal.

Not at all, I think it's a perfectly understandable point of view from an American perspective.

F1 is on the left and NASCAR on the right  ;)

Tank

Quote from: technolud on June 23, 2012, 03:09:22 AM
Did F1 continue running after Prost retired?  Oh yes, that dickweed schumacher drove in it for a while didn't he.

Yes he did. 7 world championships  >:(

But this season couldn't be more different from those dark days of monotony. 7 different winners in 5 marques of car and the first win for Williams in bloody ages and it wasn't a fluke win either! It's completely wide open it's even possible that Schumacher could win this week.

fester30

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on June 22, 2012, 11:57:26 PM

And NASCAR has an invocation prior to every race... it's even part of the telecast now.

Crow

How on earth is NASCAR so popular in the States? It must easily be the lowest form of motor racing going.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on June 23, 2012, 09:57:43 AM
How on earth is NASCAR so popular in the States? It must easily be the lowest form of motor racing going.
And McDonalds is the lowest form of 'food' go figure. It doesn't take a lot of skill to shove a fucking great engine in a car with the aerodynamics of a brick and make great entertainment. NASCAR is to motorsport as WWF is to wrestling. It's a formula that's just for fun and that's fine; it is what it is.

Velma

I prefer F1 although I've not really followed it this year because I keep forgetting to set the timer on the DVR.   >:(  I would even tolerate going to Texas to see a race.   :D
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Crow

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2012, 10:10:50 AM
And McDonalds is the lowest form of 'food' go figure. It doesn't take a lot of skill to shove a fucking great engine in a car with the aerodynamics of a brick and make great entertainment. NASCAR is to motorsport as WWF is to wrestling. It's a formula that's just for fun and that's fine; it is what it is.

I just fail to see whats entertaining about NASCAR, I can see whats entertaining about wrestling even though I'm not a fan, its sports meets Jeremy Kyle with flashing lights and fireworks. Wresting is more like monster trucks or destruction derby and I can understand the entertainment value in them, but NASCAR seriously whats entertaining about it.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on June 23, 2012, 02:11:58 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2012, 10:10:50 AM

I just fail to see whats entertaining about NASCAR, I can see whats entertaining about wrestling even though I'm not a fan, its sports meets Jeremy Kyle with flashing lights and fireworks. Wresting is more like monster trucks or destruction derby and I can understand the entertainment value in them, but NASCAR seriously whats entertaining about it.
The crashes.

Ali

Just curious about what makes NASCAR "the lowest form of motor racing"?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a NASCAR fan.  To me, watching cars race around a track is a completely charmless and boring proposition.  But I feel that way about all car racing, not just NASCAR.  What makes NASCAR "lower" than any other form.  Aren't they all just people driving cars around a track for entertainment purposes?

Tank

Quote from: Ali on June 23, 2012, 02:59:31 PM

Just curious about what makes NASCAR "the lowest form of motor racing"?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a NASCAR fan.  To me, watching cars race around a track is a completely charmless and boring proposition.  But I feel that way about all car racing, not just NASCAR.  What makes NASCAR "lower" than any other form.  Aren't they all just people driving cars around a track for entertainment purposes?
NO finesse whatsoever. The cars are all just an engine in a brick.