what is this

Started by quark, June 02, 2012, 03:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quark

ht*tp://www.you*tube.com/wa*tch?v=iqjfD76-FlU

(Edited to disable link. -- Recusant)

The Magic Pudding

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

Take a lesson on quantum mechanics, of all subjects, from some guy on YouTube trying to prove the existence of god via it. Okaaaay. ::)

based on the description, quantum mechanics exists, is defined by law and precise calculations, yet is a very strange reality. If something can exist under those conditions, then why not god? ::)

Non sequitur much?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, quark.  It seems that despite the fact that you've been lurking here for a few days, you didn't bother to read the Forum Rules. If you had, you would have seen the section titled NO SPAM, in which it is clearly stated that posting a link in your first post in this thread is considered spamming this site. I have disabled the link, but those who wish to watch the video can easily do so by pasting its address into their browser and removing the asterisks.

In answer to the question in the title of this thread, I'll simply say that the video is disappointingly inaccurate and uses equivocation regarding certain ideas in quantum mechanics in a feeble attempt to "prove" the existence of "the God." Some more vulgar descriptions come to mind, but I see no need at the moment to share them.

It would be nice if you would join in our conversations here, rather than merely posting this annoying and mendacious youtube video.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

quark

Welcome to HAF. You have to have made ten relatively substantive posts  before you get to start or engage in serious debates.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 02, 2012, 03:56:20 AM
But I don't like Spam!
Once again How can you NOT like spam?!?!?
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on June 04, 2012, 11:35:19 PM
But I don't like Spam!

http://youtu.be/anwy2MPT5RE

Also, I've never tried it, but it looks vile. I'm not a fan of processed meats.  :-\
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 06, 2012, 01:26:29 AM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on June 04, 2012, 11:35:19 PM
But I don't like Spam!

http://youtu.be/anwy2MPT5RE

Also, I've never tried it, but it looks vile. I'm not a fan of processed meats.  :-\
Down south they have a special kind of spam called treet. By special I mean exactly the same. They spell it wrong to be cute I guess   ???
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

OldGit

Spam is not great, but I've eaten many worse things.  ;D

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 06, 2012, 01:26:29 AM

I had to eat it regularly as a kid.  It's just a vile as it looks.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

daddyferrari

SPAM!  Definitely not for the weak stomached!!  It's not my favorite, but I'll eat it, if I have to!!  I love salty ass processed meats!!

Tank

Quote from: daddyferrari on June 11, 2012, 03:49:41 PM
SPAM!  Definitely not for the weak stomached!!  It's not my favorite, but I'll eat it, if I have to!!  I love salty ass processed meats!!
That statement is so wrong on so many levels!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

musicality

"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

daddyferrari

Quote from: Tank on June 11, 2012, 04:24:54 PM
Quote from: daddyferrari on June 11, 2012, 03:49:41 PM
That statement is so wrong on so many levels!

But it feels so right!!   ;D