News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Richard Dawkins Supports Bibles in Schools

Started by AnimatedDirt, May 22, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Penn Jillette, the talking part of acting duo Penn & Teller seems to have had the experience of reading himself out of faith.
Check it out, it's a good story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rGev6OZ3w

As for bibles being available to school children, I am always in favor of reading. And you need to read the whole thing if you are gonna put any serious stock by it.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 24, 2012, 03:00:10 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 24, 2012, 02:21:14 PM
I've listened to enough of Dawkins' debates and interviews to know that he thinks the KJV (specifically) is important literature, and it is an important heritage for the English language. I don't think he meant that schools should have a copy for religious purposes.

Not at all, he was clear about the bible being taught only as literature, not as a religious text. 

In theory, teachers teaching the Bible as literature only works up to a certain point fairly well - you can reference the creation myth, or the trials of Job, or David and Goliath, and compare them to modern literature, look for archetypes, all that. But in practice, your students are aware that many people DO believe the Bible is an accurate religious text, and that's when they start asking questions: "So, is this (particular story) true or not?" and "What do YOU believe?" and "Do people still believe ALL of these stories are true now?" .... and all of a sudden, you've got a religious conversation on your hands, whether you wanted one or not.  :D

When that's happened to me, I've responded with 'well, what do you think?' or 'hmm, what evidence do we see in the world today that that particular story (say, the global flood) is actually true?' or I've just answered generally with 'some people believe that; others don't' in response to queries.

I'm all for giving students, kids, teens etc bibles and having them read critically and objectively....

... and then again, "hell" hath no fury like a pissed off parent at a PTA meeting because I refused to tell their kid something was absolutely literally true.  :D (or for that matter, the PTA parents who chewed me out for even bothering to bring up the old bible stories at all!)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan