News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

A Voice You Like

Started by The Magic Pudding, May 19, 2012, 04:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

I think we'll assume the sound of littlens learning the language melt our hard embittered hearts and move on.

By what voice would you like your poetry read?
A voice you wish you owned?

I think if I could hitch a lift back a couple of decades and borrow an ability sucking thingy I'd pinch Richard Burton's voice.  If it was a multiuse ability sucking thing my sentences would probably be more appealing.

I asked my wife this question, I was bothered I was having a problem coming up with female voices and she suggested Isabella Rossellini, and yes yes of course.  She suggested Whoopi Goldberg singling out her role as a hyena in the Lion King and the oooooh Mufasa line, ye well I like Whoopi but I'm not convinced.  Bellatrix Lestrange = Helena Bonham Carter = The Kings speach... ye I don't know we are often attracted to the same things but I'm not sure why.  I'm not supposed to like Angelina as Lara Croft and I didn't mention Nigela.

Ali

Like you, I struggle to find a female voice that I would want to read my poems, as if she were me (my poems are almost always first person).  But I know who I would want to read poems TO me.  Like any American woman over a certain age, I find Sean Connery's voice absolutely toe curling.  Yes please.

Tank

I'm not keen on poetry. I often find it affected and laboured, so shoot me.

However a few years ago I went to Edinburgh with a young Scottish lady with a broad Glaswegian accent. She read me some of the work of Robbie Burns and it almost literally sprang to life and I enjoyed it immensely.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Ignore the poetry, it's just a voice you like.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 19, 2012, 05:34:46 PM
You may be right. However her normal speech was rather gutteral, it took on a flow when reading the poetry that it lacked in normal conversation. So the poetry may have refined her delivery and accent.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

I thought Jude Law's narration of Lemony Snicket a Series of Unfortunate Events was special.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on May 19, 2012, 05:36:42 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 19, 2012, 05:34:46 PM
You may be right. However her normal speech was rather gutteral, it took on a flow when reading the poetry that it lacked in normal conversation. So the poetry may have refined her delivery and accent.

Stop it, I have a fish here and I'm prepared to whack you with it.
Why don't you tell us of your liking of Churchill so we can snigger and.......... dip crackers in mysterious plastic receptacles.

Tank

When I'm in the right mood and have a suitable muse I can write some pretty swoon making prose myself.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on May 19, 2012, 05:02:26 PM
I'm not keen on poetry. I often find it affected and laboured, so shoot me.

Me, too; however, I would happily listen to Liam Neeson read the phone book.

But if I could write poetry like Dickinson or Frost (the only 2 poets I've ever been able to either stand or understand) I'd like to have Glenn Close's voice to read my work in.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

If I ever wrote any poetry, the best voice to declaim it would be the late, great Spike Milligan.  Happily for the rest of you, I don't indulge.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 19, 2012, 06:00:29 PM
Me, too; however, I would happily listen to Liam Neeson read the phone book.

Ye well Liam Neeson is an answer, I like his voice.
He may may well like poetry though, after all he is an entertainment type.

xSilverPhinx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkJJidVjGU

Can be read well with pratically any voice IMO.

As for voices, one thing that lacks is the bass factor (imagine that), but I think that any deep voice is nice to listen to.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Velma

Quote from: Tank on May 19, 2012, 05:59:15 PM
When I'm in the right mood and have a suitable muse I can write some pretty swoon making prose myself.
You do have quite a way with the written word.  :)

Tank, I do like your voice.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on May 20, 2012, 01:02:18 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 19, 2012, 05:59:15 PM
You do have quite a way with the written word.  :)

Tank, I do like your voice.
Awwww 'fank you  ;D

Traveler

Interesting question. When I first saw the thread I thought you were referencing singing voices, which is a much simpler question for me. Chris Cornell, the women who sang in Clannad, and a few others. Actually, I like quite a few singing voices.

For speaking voices, I tend to like them a little deeper than normal. Australian accents add a lot, as do Irish accents. Heck, there are many accents that improve the sound of a voice to my ear. That slight sense of the exotic. I'll have to pay more attention in order to choose a few.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.