News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Two coin trick

Started by En_Route, May 14, 2012, 12:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Two coins  each with a head one one side and a tail on the other  are tossed in the air but you do not see them land.
You are told that one of the coins landed showing heads. What are the chances that the other coin also landed showing heads?
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Ecurb Noselrub

Isn't it still 50-50?  What side the one coin landed on has nothing to do with the other coin.  I'm not real confident about this, as you can see.

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on May 14, 2012, 12:58:19 AM
Two coins  each with a head one one side and a tail on the other  are tossed in the air but you do not see them land.
You are told that one of the coins landed showing heads. What are the chances that the other coin also landed showing heads?

You again!?! >:(

Stevil

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 14, 2012, 02:24:30 AM
Isn't it still 50-50?  What side the one coin landed on has nothing to do with the other coin.  I'm not real confident about this, as you can see.
Don't be lazy people, you assume too much, do the permutations, there are only 4 of them.

Jimmy

For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Stevil

P1 - H, T
P2 - T, H
P3 - T, T
P4 - H, H

P1,2,4 all have one coin with H
With the other coin being H once or T twice
So 1/3 = 33.333%

Jimmy

seems the trick can be with the wording, perhaps I'm not interpreting it the same way.....

the probably that it will "also land on heads", implies  "and," so the probability that it is heads is just a simple probability calculation, which is 50% heads each flip, which is just 25% for HH

HH, HT, TH, TT all have an equal chance of occurring.

Although, perhaps because the first heads is known already, the probability of the second coin landing on heads is independent of the first toss, and therefore,  50%

I can't fathom anything other than 50% or 25%, the 33.33%; just does not compute without a further explanation.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Stevil

Quote from: Jimmy on May 14, 2012, 05:14:28 AM
seems the trick can be with the wording, perhaps I'm not interpreting it the same way.....

the probably that it will "also land on heads", implies  "and," so the probability that it is heads is just a simple probability calculation, which is 50% heads each flip, which is just 25% for HH

Although, perhaps because the first heads is known already, the probability of the second coin landing on heads is independent of the first toss, and therefore,  50%

I can't fathom anything other than 50% or 25%, the 33.33%; just does not compute without a further explanation.

The original question states
"also landed showing heads?"
This is past tense.
So both coins have already landed.
A person has told you that one of them was heads.

There are 4 possible permutations but only 3 that contain at least one head.
So we only have 3 possible permutations.
Of those only one contains another head. The HH permutation.
The other two perms are HT and TH.
So chances of a second heads, given that one of the coins is known as heads is 1/3 = 33.333%

I think the question is stated very clearly.

Jimmy

Scratch that, I got it......wording....TT rule out only leaves three options, 1/3H to 2/3 T on second toss

I

OldGit

50-50.  Neither coin is in any way affected by the fall of the other.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: OldGit on May 14, 2012, 10:33:40 AM
50-50.  Neither coin is in any way affected by the fall of the other.

If he'd told you one was heads before the other had been tossed it would be 50-50
But he hasn't, you've been given enough information to conlude the fall is head/head, head/tail or tail/head, there's three opions.  It's the devil's 66.6% thing again, well 33.3% this time but same devilish principle.

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on May 14, 2012, 05:25:57 AM

This is past tense.

So chances of a second heads, given that one of the coins is known as heads is 1/3 = 33.333%

The solution (as per your lucid exposition) is relatively evident to those with a stats background but counter-intuitive to those not initiated into those dark arts. The research suggests that the human brain is not wired in such away as to have an instinctive grasp of probability- rather the reverse.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: En_Route on May 14, 2012, 07:18:49 PM
Quote from: Stevil on May 14, 2012, 05:25:57 AM

This is past tense.

The solution (as per your lucid exposition) is relatively evident to those with a stats background but counter-intuitive to those not initiated into those dark arts. The research suggests that the human brain is not wired in such away as to have an instinctive grasp of probability- rather the reverse.

For certain  :-X
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey