Author Topic: artificial inteligence  (Read 905 times)

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
  • Touched by His Noodly Appendage
  • Atheist, Humanist, and Champion
    • You two dig up, dig up dinosaurs?
Re: artificial inteligence
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
Yes and the human population is rapidly increasing at a higher and higher increment every year.

Population is increasing, certainly. However the rate of growth has been dropping for some time now.

The world’s population has grown exponentially in the last 100 years, but the rate of growth has declined drastically in recent decades and is expected to continue decreasing through the middle of the 21st century.

That's weird. I guess there are still more babies being made than their parents.

Not so. We passed peak child in 2015. Technically humanity is now heading for extinction.

I don't know what to think anymore. Everyone is saying something different!
But, uh...well there it is.
"Nothing's a struggle, but everything is a challenge"-Anon
Hate Is Weakness

Ecurb Noselrub

• No Wall in my name!!!
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »

I don't know what to think anymore. Everyone is saying something different!

If you extend that graph out into the future the blue line will peak and start going down.  To quote C3PO, "we're doomed!"

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
We have a long way to go in the population dropping before we have to start worrying about genetic diversity.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
The human race was possibly down to 2000 individuals 150 000 yesrs ago.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080424-humans-extinct.html

"... probably due to climate change ..."

That's pretty low diversity!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 05:07:30 AM »
The human race was possibly down to 2000 individuals 150 000 yesrs ago.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080424-humans-extinct.html

"... probably due to climate change ..."

That's pretty low diversity!
By then we'll all be gene edited and optimised anyway. It's conceivable that in the next millennia gene optimisation for humans will be the norm not the exception. In 150,000 years we may not even be recognisable as humans.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 12:08:46 AM »
There has been recent debate about "killer robots" and, in a BBC Workd Service item about the management of the Korean DMZ there was a mention of the Samsung SGR-A1 gun that can operate autonomously.

Despite my interest in how reality follows sc-fi I find this worrying. At the moment this is, hopefully, effectively a defence device in an area that all know is a no-go zone for people armed in any way. I remember a few years ago optical systems that could distinguish between a man carrying  a rifle and one carrying a broom.

The discrimination system has almost certainly improved since then and, potentially, this is an improvement over mine-fields, physical or optical "trip wires" and other non-discriminating systems. However it is still a worrying trend, especially when linked to the work on autonomous vehicles.

Are "Robot Wars" really on the edge of being a fact?

Later: rereading the Wiki article it seems the SGR-A1 may not be that discriminating if it only has IR detection. It does seem to have a "vision system" as well but is this "manual" only or backed up by an automated recognition system? Too secret to know.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:45:06 AM by Gloucester »

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
  • Touched by His Noodly Appendage
  • Atheist, Humanist, and Champion
    • You two dig up, dig up dinosaurs?
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
Robot Wars or Robot Police. Which is scarier?
But, uh...well there it is.
"Nothing's a struggle, but everything is a challenge"-Anon
Hate Is Weakness

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 07:12:57 AM »
I think it should be an international agreement to never let a machine make a decision to kill a human. The debugging alone would be a nightmare.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 07:15:59 AM »
I think it should be an international agreement to never let a machine make a decision to kill a human. The debugging alone would be a nightmare.

A lot of "names" seem to be working on that, but getting some regimes to comply will probably be impossible. And if some regimes have it . . .

I bet the counterneasures people are working hard on this. And the counter-countermeasures people of course.

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »

There has been talk about this and that a human must always be in the 'kill decision chain'. What these people fail to realise is that Close In Weapon Systems (CIWS) on ships are autonomous and have been for decades. Now these systems are primarily designed to take out missiles but could equally take out manned aircraft.

I agree with the prohibition of an AI having direct control of a kill scenario.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »
Not quite the positronic brain yet . . .

Seems that an African scientist has managed to integrate organic neurons into electronic sensors for explosives sensing.

In new leap for AI: computer chips that can smell

http://en.prothom-alo.com/science-technology/news/157849/In-new-leap-for-AI-computer-chips-that-can-smell

They have been on about the "electronic nose"  for this purpose and as a diagnostic tool for many years, but those based on mass spectrometers are bulky and expensive. No idea yet as to the cost of this one but it seems to have garnered industrial interest. However, the concept of the neuronic-electronic link was one of the "dreams" of computer gurus before they switched to looking down the quantum tunnel.

Elon Musk is thinking about enhancing the brain with implanted computers - will this lead to the interface he needs? Not sure whether to be excited or worried, despite my enjoyment of such things in sci-fi