News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Religious Exclamations

Started by DirtyLeo, February 25, 2011, 10:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"So what you're saying, then, is that you use these words to hurt people and/or to offend them.
Uh, no.
This is not your question to answer as it was not your words I was referring to.

Ihateyoumike

jesus h. w. Titty-fucking christ this is a goddamn fucking stupid thing to be arguing about.

When I want to be crude and offensive (typically trying to amuse) I use crude and offensive terms. It hurts nobody. My foot is not self-shot because the word jesus or christ is included. It just wouldn't be as fun if I used Joseph H.W. Titty-fucking Smith. It simply doesn't have the same feel to it... Ya know?
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Davin

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "Davin"They're just words, unless you think saying "Jesus Christ" all the time will actually make Jesus Christ exist. I suppose we could substitute "god" with "science" like; "science damn it!" and "oh my science!"

Though all kidding aside, I'm sure you don't mean that kind of power, because that's like incantations, summonings and dark magic. In the other kind of power of words, I think it hurts the religious more to say things like "god damn it!", "Jesus Fucking Christ on on a stick!", "god fucking sideways!" and "Pig fucking Jesus Christ!" Because a lot of religious people tend to get offended even though the person saying it may not have their same belief. On Penn & Teller's: Bullshit (I think one in season 2), there was a lady that said that people should substitute the word "god" with the word "Buddha" because they didn't believe in Buddha so it wasn't bad. Hilarious how hypocritical some of the more extreme religious can get without ever seeing it.
You're right.  Saying these words will not make Jesus magically exist.

So what you're saying, then, is that you use these words to hurt people and/or to offend them.
No, I didn't say that at all.

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"Which part of your morals allows you to belittle others for being different?
I belittle all the time, I don't see any harm in it. My family is very close and I give them shit all the time, I also give my friends shit all the time and both my friends and family in turn give me shit. It's quite funny most of the time even when done to me. We make fun of beliefs, things we like and pretty much everything. I think it's much better to be able to take someone making fun of you without any negative effects than to go around getting offended for no reasonable reason.

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I don't suggest substituting Buddha in place of God or Jesus Christ, but I would suggest using something more consistent with your ideology.  For a Christian to use God in cursing or swearing is wrong!  In context, however, it is consistent with Christian beliefs.
I'm sure most people wouldn't suggest replacing their word for god with another religions word for god.

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"At the core, what is the basis of swearing and/or cursing at someone?  Is it not based on the belief that saying "God damn it/you" that God has the power to damn you?  Again...an Atheist using these terms, in their thoughts denying God, but in their actions affirming the power God has.
The things I mentioned don't have to be curses at someone, like if I drop a box of tools on my foot I yell "Jesus, fucking, goats, in a shed!" There is no affirming of power either, it more shows that god can't damn anything, more an affirmation of how weak god is than gods power.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hismikeness

Swear words tend to not make sense. I use them, sure. But, they don't have literal meaning.

Animated Dirt, this is definitely a talking point for you, and you have a refined argument, as I've read your posts on several occasions where you've brought it up. I try to not use any religious slurs when I'm in mixed company so as not to offend. However, a good solid "goddammit" (like one might witness on It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia, to me, is just funnier than a simple "dammit".

Side note: I actually prefer to write a 'damn it' as 'dammit'. Much the same as a 'son of a bitch' is a 'sunuvabitch'. It makes them in to separate words when written, though when spoken they still carry the original overtones.

I am not sure, but I would imagine that these particular curses are and English only issue, and perhaps even an American English issue. Other languages probably have their own idioms that make little to no sense. Just look at some of the American English "pet names" for a significant other- honey (sticky sugary syrup), dear (the animal or the greeting of a letter), babe (an infant or the baseball player). From my sixth grade French courses, I seem to remember a French pet name which translated to "rabbit".
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I use them because I want to, and I don't give a goddamn if you think they're not "logical" for me to use.
Thank you so much, LS for this excellent exclamation.  It makes my point for me.

What is it about goddamn that makes your point more?
Because that's the way it is. That's the way it has evolved.

QuoteWhy didn't you just say, "...don't give a damn if you..."
Because adding "god" gives it more oomph.

QuoteWhat is it about "goddamn" that makes your statement MORE and with MORE emphasis and meaning?
Again, that's just the way it evolved.

QuoteWhether or not I THINK it's logical is of no consequence...the point is that it isn't logical.
The English language isn't logical.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "hismikeness"Swear words tend to not make sense. I use them, sure. But, they don't have literal meaning.

I am not sure, but I would imagine that these particular curses are and English only issue, and perhaps even an American English issue. Other languages probably have their own idioms that make little to no sense. Just look at some of the American English "pet names" for a significant other- honey (sticky sugary syrup), dear (the animal or the greeting of a letter), babe (an infant or the baseball player). From my sixth grade French courses, I seem to remember a French pet name which translated to "rabbit".
^This.

GAYtheist

:brick: OK...how about this for an answer...people swear, defane some magical sky-daddy's name, and there ain't a goddamn lot you can do about it. It's really that simple.

Personally, in today's culture, I find I can't get away from it, and it is indeed ground into my head on a daily basis. I stub my toe I usually say something along the lines of "Jesus fucking shit eating Christ on a rotting cross" while hopping on one foot. When I fuck my boyfriend, I say alot of things along the lines of "Oh God"...I use it alot, Why? It's been ground into my head...do I particularly care? No. DO I say it to hurt, offend, or annoy people? It really depends on the person and what they are doing to hurt, offend or annoy me. As a Gay Atheist Activist...aka GayTheist...I get alot of talk from alot of people that try to silence me, and try to take away my rights. I find that shit really very fucking annoying. It also happens to be largely people who follow some magical sky-daddy and that call themselves Christian that do these things. So...I guess I do hurt, offend and annoy them. Sorry, don't give a rat's ass.

Sorry for the rant, but, wait, no I'm not, I think this needed saying.
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

hismikeness

Quote from: "GAYtheist"don't give a rat's ass

Do you literally mean you do not give the hind parts of rodents?  ;)

Or, more likely, is this just another example of crazy English expressions?
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "GAYtheist":brick: OK...how about this for an answer...people swear, defane some magical sky-daddy's name, and there ain't a goddamn lot you can do about it. It's really that simple.
There's not.  It is of comedic value, however, that *you seem to think it bothers me.
Quote from: "GAYtheist"Personally, in today's culture, I find I can't get away from it, and it is indeed ground into my head on a daily basis. I stub my toe I usually say something along the lines of "Jesus fucking shit eating Christ on a rotting cross" while hopping on one foot. When I fuck my boyfriend, I say alot of things along the lines of "Oh God"...I use it alot, Why? It's been ground into my head...do I particularly care? No.
Well...so was/is belief in God...yet you've shed that weight off your shoulders.  It's not a BIG point of hypocrisy that I mention it, it is a point of logic as it goes against *your held belief or disbelief.  To invoke God in exclamation is to give the name power, and thus God.  LS, just above says,
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Because adding "god" gives it more oomph.
How, if god is non existent, is invoking God more "oomph"?  It is not logically possible to invoke anymore oomph than yelling out, "Unicorn!"
Quote from: "GAYtheist"DO I say it to hurt, offend, or annoy people? It really depends on the person and what they are doing to hurt, offend or annoy me. As a Gay Atheist Activist...aka GayTheist...I get alot of talk from alot of people that try to silence me, and try to take away my rights. I find that shit really very fucking annoying. It also happens to be largely people who follow some magical sky-daddy and that call themselves Christian that do these things.
I feel your frustration on this too, btw.
Quote from: "GAYtheist"So...I guess I do hurt, offend and annoy them. Sorry, don't give a rat's ass.
I would guess you do care.
Quote from: "GAYtheist"Sorry for the rant, but, wait, no I'm not, I think this needed saying.
I respect your input, but happen to disagree with the "logic" in doing so.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "hismikeness"
Quote from: "GAYtheist"don't give a rat's ass

Do you literally mean you do not give the hind parts of rodents?  ;)

Or, more likely, is this just another example of crazy English expressions?
It literally means GAYtheist wouldn't give a rat's ass...literally.  That's what it means.  It's not worth a rat's ass.  It's not a "crazy English" expression as I'm sure many languages have similar expressions.  How much is a rat's ass worth?  Therein lies the true meaning of the expression...and my whole point, again illustrated so finely.

Edit:  I just thought about this...What about, "Aw Hell!", or "For Heaven's sake!"??  Not just God, but allusions to the existence of God.

GAYtheist

We need a facepalm emote...:facepalm: Really, it would add a lot...
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "GAYtheist"We need a facepalm emote...:facepalm: Really, it would add a lot...
This is your reply?  Heh...ok.

GAYtheist

Quote from: "GAYtheist":brick: OK...how about this for an answer...people swear, defane some magical sky-daddy's name, and there ain't a goddamn lot you can do about it. It's really that simple.
There's not.  It is of comedic value, however, that *you seem to think it bothers me.
Quote from: "GAYtheist"Personally, in today's culture, I find I can't get away from it, and it is indeed ground into my head on a daily basis. I stub my toe I usually say something along the lines of "Jesus fucking shit eating Christ on a rotting cross" while hopping on one foot. When I fuck my boyfriend, I say alot of things along the lines of "Oh God"...I use it alot, Why? It's been ground into my head...do I particularly care? No.
Well...so was/is belief in God...yet you've shed that weight off your shoulders.  It's not a BIG point of hypocrisy that I mention it, it is a point of logic as it goes against *your held belief or disbelief.  To invoke God in exclamation is to give the name power, and thus God.  LS, just above says,
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Because adding "god" gives it more oomph.
How, if god is non existent, is invoking God more "oomph"?  It is not logically possible to invoke anymore oomph than yelling out, "Unicorn!"
Quote from: "GAYtheist"DO I say it to hurt, offend, or annoy people? It really depends on the person and what they are doing to hurt, offend or annoy me. As a Gay Atheist Activist...aka GayTheist...I get alot of talk from alot of people that try to silence me, and try to take away my rights. I find that shit really very fucking annoying. It also happens to be largely people who follow some magical sky-daddy and that call themselves Christian that do these things.
I feel your frustration on this too, btw.
Quote from: "GAYtheist"So...I guess I do hurt, offend and annoy them. Sorry, don't give a rat's ass.
I would guess you do care.
Quote from: "GAYtheist"Sorry for the rant, but, wait, no I'm not, I think this needed saying.
I respect your input, but happen to disagree with the "logic" in doing so.
Actually...I didn't type that to anyone, I just type it as I thought some things needed saying. Personally, I don't feel that mentioning some magical sky-daddy in with my swearing adds anything to it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "GAYtheist"Personally, I don't feel that mentioning some magical sky-daddy in with my swearing adds anything to it.
If this is true, then why mention sky-daddy at all? (in exclamations)

Personally, I feel if an Atheist can come out of Christianity, shed all the pseudo-beliefs/faith in a non-existent God, I would say this person is also more capable of removing sky-daddy from all his/her expressions that empower a non-existent, made-up, fairy-tale, entity.  A tiny step, really, in the scheme of things considering the lengths some people go through or take to "come out".

If one wasn't a Christian prior...even easier.  It shouldn't even be present.

GAYtheist

Quote from: "GAYtheist"Personally, I don't feel that mentioning some magical sky-daddy in with my swearing adds anything to it.
If this is true, then why mention sky-daddy at all? (in exclamations)

Personally, I feel if an Atheist can come out of Christianity, shed all the pseudo-beliefs/faith in a non-existent God, I would say this person is also more capable of removing sky-daddy from all his/her expressions that empower a non-existent, made-up, fairy-tale, entity.  A tiny step, really, in the scheme of things considering the lengths some people go through or take to "come out".

If one wasn't a Christian prior...even easier.  It shouldn't even be present.
OK, let's take this one step further. Using said name in vain is a sin, correct? Therefore, me not being Christian would be able to use it without fear of reprisal. Whereas a Christian using it would actually be counter productive to their goals of attaining a seat with the magical sky-daddy. So it actually makes a lot more sense for Atheists to be using said word than Christians as we have no need to fear using it.