News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Religious Exclamations

Started by DirtyLeo, February 25, 2011, 10:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "GAYtheist"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "GAYtheist"Personally, I don't feel that mentioning some magical sky-daddy in with my swearing adds anything to it.
If this is true, then why mention sky-daddy at all? (in exclamations)

Personally, I feel if an Atheist can come out of Christianity, shed all the pseudo-beliefs/faith in a non-existent God, I would say this person is also more capable of removing sky-daddy from all his/her expressions that empower a non-existent, made-up, fairy-tale, entity.  A tiny step, really, in the scheme of things considering the lengths some people go through or take to "come out".

If one wasn't a Christian prior...even easier.  It shouldn't even be present.
OK, let's take this one step further. Using said name in vain is a sin, correct? Therefore, me not being Christian would be able to use it without fear of reprisal. Whereas a Christian using it would actually be counter productive to their goals of attaining a seat with the magical sky-daddy. So it actually makes a lot more sense for Atheists to be using said word than Christians as we have no need to fear using it.
True on both points.  Atheists have no "fear" in using the name.  This, however, is not the question/point.

The question/point is; Logically, why does using a name invoking the Christian God (because it's not invoking Triton, Zeus...or any other god as they have specific names AND the fact that the expressions include "hell", "heaven", "Jesus Christ" "Mother of God".) put more "oomph" in an expression and what logical reason is there for an Atheist, one who does not believe in any god, of this sort, exists, to use them as such?  If "God" puts more "oomph", then there must be some power in the name of GOD.  Why would *you, on one hand deny the existence of, and on the other invoke the power of said God/something of complete and utter nonsense to put that "oomph" into your speech?

Is this not acknowledging some sort of power this God has to "damn" or "damn to hell" or an exclamation swearing on a non-existent place?

Asmodean

Quote from: "DirtyLeo"Do you use religious exclamations ("Jesus Christ!", "Good God!", etc)  when you talk?
"Holy crap" on a rare occasion. "Hell and a thousand devils" every now and then. Considering that my mouth is a cesspool, I use very little religious exclamations or religiously inspired profanity percent-wise.

QuoteOr say "Bless You" when someone sneezes?
If they are at it for a time, I tend to say "Oh, shut UP!" - in a good-natured enough way not to offend (...not to offend too many sneezers, at least).

QuoteIf no, does it come naturally or are you making an effort to keep them out of your day-to-day vocabulary?
It comes naturally.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

BadPoison

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"The question/point is; Logically, why does using a name invoking the Christian God (because it's not invoking Triton, Zeus...or any other god as they have specific names AND the fact that the expressions include "hell", "heaven", "Jesus Christ" "Mother of God".) put more "oomph" in an expression and what logical reason is there for an Atheist, one who does not believe in any god, of this sort, exists, to use them as such?  If "God" puts more "oomph", then there must be some power in the name of GOD.  Why would *you, on one hand deny the existence of, and on the other invoke the power of said God/something of complete and utter nonsense to put that "oomph" into your speech?

Is this not acknowledging some sort of power this God has to "damn" or "damn to hell" or an exclamation swearing on a non-existent place?

lol You almost got me to reply seriously to this! Well done sir, well done

GAYtheist

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"True on both points.  Atheists have no "fear" in using the name.  This, however, is not the question/point.

The question/point is; Logically, why does using a name invoking the Christian God (because it's not invoking Triton, Zeus...or any other god as they have specific names AND the fact that the expressions include "hell", "heaven", "Jesus Christ" "Mother of God".) put more "oomph" in an expression and what logical reason is there for an Atheist, one who does not believe in any god, of this sort, exists, to use them as such?  If "God" puts more "oomph", then there must be some power in the name of GOD.  Why would *you, on one hand deny the existence of, and on the other invoke the power of said God/something of complete and utter nonsense to put that "oomph" into your speech?

No. It is not acknowledging anything about some sugar daddy in space. It is simply saying that the person you're talking to is making an idiot out of themselves, or you don't like them or what they're doing/have done. Really it is that simple.
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "BadPoison"lol You almost got me to reply seriously to this! Well done sir, well done
Yeah, I think I've had enough of AnimatedDirt's semantics arguments (as well as the rest of his arguments, for that matter).

By the way, I haven't ignored your PM, don't worry.

hismikeness

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"The question/point is; Logically, why does using a name invoking the Christian God ... put more "oomph" in an expression and what logical reason is there for an Atheist, one who does not believe in any god, of this sort, exists, to use them as such?

I don't think "goddammit" has more "oomph" necessarily, and there is no logical reason for an atheist to use any phrase which houses within it a religious word, except that they are common if not accepted idioms of the English language. I don't think any atheist who says "God damn it/you" really is demanding that God damns someone/something anymore than an Atheist who says "God bless you" really thinks that God will bless the sneezer. It's a phrase, no more, no less.

Quote from: "Animated Dirt"Is this not acknowledging some sort of power this God has to "damn" or "damn to hell" or an exclamation swearing on a non-existent place?

I don't think it is. The phrase "God damn you" sounds like a command, and God being the dude he claims to be in the Bible probably doesn't take to kindly to being commanded to do anything...  :D

AD... out of curiosity, what's with the asterisk in front of 'you'? I've seen that in your posts a couple of times. Like below... what's the meaning?
Quote from: "Animated Dirt"*you
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "hismikeness"AD... out of curiosity, what's with the asterisk in front of 'you'? I've seen that in your posts a couple of times. Like below... what's the meaning?
Quote from: "Animated Dirt"*you
I think he's using it to denote that he's using it in a third-person sense, not talking directly to anyone person.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "BadPoison"lol You almost got me to reply seriously to this! Well done sir, well done
This is probably because at the end of the day, you know these "idioms" mean exactly what they say and infer.
Quote from: "GAYtheist"No. It is not acknowledging anything about some sugar daddy in space. It is simply saying that the person you're talking to is making an idiot out of themselves, or you don't like them or what they're doing/have done. Really it is that simple.
Then there's really no need to qualify it with "God", is there.
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Yeah, I think I've had enough of AnimatedDirt's semantics arguments (as well as the rest of his arguments, for that matter).
It's definitely a true argument of semantics...no doubt about that.  Thanks, LS
Quote from: "hismikeness"I don't think "goddammit" has more "oomph" necessarily, and there is no logical reason for an atheist to use any phrase which houses within it a religious word, except that they are common if not accepted idioms of the English language. I don't think any atheist who says "God damn it/you" really is demanding that God damns someone/something anymore than an Atheist who says "God bless you" really thinks that God will bless the sneezer. It's a phrase, no more, no less.
I agree, they are accepted expressions...funny thing though, I haven't found it listed as an Idiom on a few sites.  But that isn't necessarily proof it's not an idiom.
According to Urban Dictionary god damnit literally means to damn to hell.
Literally, these terms are a curse to a thing or a person.
Quote from: "hismikeness"AD... out of curiosity, what's with the asterisk in front of 'you'? I've seen that in your posts a couple of times. Like below... what's the meaning?
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I think he's using it to denote that he's using it in a third-person sense, not talking directly to anyone person.
LS has this correct.

father nicetouch

JESUS TITTY FUCKING CHRIST! What’s all the arguing about? FUCK!  If I use Jesus or God in a curse word it’s not because I want to offend a Christian. It’s just my way of saying to myself that I fear no God or “sky daddy”. Christians should'nt worry about atheist using God’s name in vain. They should worry about other Christians saying it. If you think it's so wrong to say god's name in vain then don't say it, but don't tell other people do the same. Because I have used God's name in vain with so much pleasure and nothing bad has ever happened to me!  :devil:
We have talked about this before! I know you love me! But I think it would be better if we just stayed as friends, Jesus!

I tried talking to Satan the other day, but just like god, there was no response!

GAYtheist

Quote from: "father nicetouch"JESUS TITTY FUCKING CHRIST! What’s all the arguing about? FUCK!  If I use Jesus or God in a curse word it’s not because I want to offend a Christian. It’s just my way of saying to myself that I fear no God or “sky daddy”. Christians should'nt worry about atheist using God’s name in vain. They should worry about other Christians saying it. If you think it's so wrong to say god's name in vain then don't say it, but don't tell other people do the same. Because I have used God's name in vain with so much pleasure and nothing bad has ever happened to me!  :D  :devil:
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

terranus

[youtube:3ithk22b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFy8RK-MFg[/youtube:3ithk22b]

and

[youtube:3ithk22b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYVqMj5i6k[/youtube:3ithk22b]

Already been done on a previous thread, but screw it, worth watching again IMO.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "father nicetouch"JESUS TITTY FUCKING CHRIST! What’s all the arguing about? FUCK!  If I use Jesus or God in a curse word it’s not because I want to offend a Christian. It’s just my way of saying to myself that I fear no God or “sky daddy”. Christians should'nt worry about atheist using God’s name in vain. They should worry about other Christians saying it. If you think it's so wrong to say god's name in vain then don't say it, but don't tell other people do the same. Because I have used God's name in vain with so much pleasure and nothing bad has ever happened to me!  :devil:
You've not even read the thread.  It's not about Christians being offended or about whether or not you fear God or a god.  This does nothing more to add to the discussion and in fact simply establishes my point even better since you rightly see these words as a curse.

Thanks for your input.

Ihateyoumike

Gotta ask you this animated dirt...

Does holy cow or holy shit count? Is it ok for me to use those? I mean, some eastern religions might not like having me use the first one because throwing their bovine deity in the mix gives more power to my curse.

But holy shit... I need to know, am I invoking the power of your god's fecal matter to give my words power, or is it the all encompassing power of the collective deities' Hershey-squirts that adds power to my curse words. Cause I'd like to think I'm invoking the power of the dump of Thor. I mean, holy shit, can you imagine the size of the loaf he'd produce? Now that's power!

Oh, and is any of this really worth arguing? I mean, holy fucking bloody mother of jesus this seems to be such a lame topic to argue about and get fired up over.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"Gotta ask you this animated dirt...

Does holy cow or holy shit count? Is it ok for me to use those? I mean, some eastern religions might not like having me use the first one because throwing their bovine deity in the mix gives more power to my curse.

But holy shit... I need to know, am I invoking the power of your god's fecal matter to give my words power, or is it the all encompassing power of the collective deities' Hershey-squirts that adds power to my curse words. Cause I'd like to think I'm invoking the power of the dump of Thor. I mean, holy shit, can you imagine the size of the loaf he'd produce? Now that's power!
Whether you find this amusing or not, the point still stands as valid and the answer to your question is this;  When you say "Holy shit/cow", what are you meaning by "holy"?  Nothing can be holy unless God (or a god) makes it holy.  So...the question is...and the point I'm making/asking, is, what is the point of saying "Holy shit/cow"?  What makes using the word "holy" more of an "oomph", as has been suggested?  On what basis does any Atheist invoke the power of God or a god in their exclamations?  One would assume the true Atheist would not use "God" words to "empower" their speech.  Screaming out "Unicorn Damn It!!" is just as powerful isn't it?
Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"Oh, and is any of this really worth arguing? I mean, holy fucking bloody mother of jesus this seems to be such a lame topic to argue about and get fired up over.
There you go...case in point.  Another Atheist makes my point for me.

Davin

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"Gotta ask you this animated dirt...

Whether you find this amusing or not, the point still stands as valid and the answer to your question is this;  When you say "Holy shit/cow", what are you meaning by "holy"?  Nothing can be holy unless God (or a god) makes it holy.  So...the question is...and the point I'm making/asking, is, what is the point of saying "Holy shit/cow"?  What makes using the word "holy" more of an "oomph", as has been suggested?  On what basis does any Atheist invoke the power of God or a god in their exclamations?  One would assume the true Atheist would not use "God" words to "empower" their speech.  Screaming out "Unicorn Damn It!!" is just as powerful isn't it?
I say things like that a lot when talking with my friends and family. Even "oh my science!" Sometimes I even yell "Kirk Hammett!" Am I invoking the power of Metallica when making that exclamation? Because I'll put the power of Kirk Hammett up against the power of your god any day, we'll see with one can drink a beer the fastest, which one can rip a piece of paper faster, which one has evidence for their existence, and to be fair, I'll even see which one can appear on toast the fastest (gotta give god at least one gimme). This notion that atheists are invoking some non-existent being to... I'm not sure what you're think an atheist is invoking something they don't believe in to do when using a religious term as an exclamation.

To be more to the point: your god is not the only thing I use as an exclamation, also my exclamations take many forms not limited to deities and irrationally labeled "foul language". Even if this god existed, using religious terms as exclamations does not change it into a state that is indistinguishable from not existing.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.